Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started

Getting Started

I've done more than my share of fishing over the years, but my experience targeting truly big musky and pike has been somewhat limited. Last year I decided I was going to make this a focus and have been gearing up to do so. As it stands I feel pretty good about my gear selection but am trying to figure out if there is anything I am missing or maybe need to change. Also, I am wondering what are some of your favorite lures. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Here's what I have so far specifically for musky fishing.

2 7' St. Croix heavy rods with Abu Garcia reels spooled with Suffix 65lb braid
    1 7'4" Okuma musky rod - no reel
    Flambeau Musky Maximizer Lure Locker
    Plano Big Game box
    55 assorted lures
    4 Terminator 100lb leaders
    Beckman Husky musky net - coated with extendable handle
    15" Hook remover
    Knipex hook cutter
    60" floating ruler

Thanks,

Adam

RE: Getting Started

80# line, anything lighter will snap easily on a backlash with most Muskie lures.
    65 is not going to bust with a fish most likely but Ive seen a few $$$ glide baits disappear, not a good feeling
    Minnesota Muskie and Pike Alliance
    100% C&R
    fish>EGO

your going to need at least 3 Double Cowgirls. If your in wisconsin i would use a orange blade black skirt, Nickle and black, and a red and black and red skirt. Those have been my best colors in dark waters of wisconsin. In minnesota i would use a chartruse blade white skirt, chartruse with the black on the bottom and a black and green skirt or a nickle blade with a black or white skirt. Also if your in wisconsin the bulldawg has caught a ton of fish here in the last 8 years, and you cant go wrong with natural colors with this bait they work everywhere. then just some twitch baits a couple reg bucktails and some suicks would be a great place to start.

I agree with muskiefool you need heavier line, at least like he says 80#.

I don't trust terminators leaders, they (and many I've talked to) have had the loops open up. I would use a good fluoro or better yet a www.leadersandlures.com wire leader. These will last and are so much stronger and above all will not get cut (unless you torch them or use a side cutters).

big ranger, a fancy jersey, a long list of website links that you are a pro-staff for and a few of your own producst being made in china and you'll be good.

>big ranger, a fancy jersey, a long list of website links that
    >you are a pro-staff for and a few of your own producst being
    >made in china and you'll be good.

Classic......hahaha

I also would not trust the Terminator leaders. I used them without issue for 5 years, then all of a sudden started having issues with them. I've had loops open up, the leader break where it contacts the snap, and had them simply fall apart (meaning strands of titanium letting loose in the leader). Not sure what changed, but I wouldn't use them any more. Get yourself some Stealth Tackle 130# Flouro leaders.

What Abu reels do you have?

I'd have to check to be sure, but I believe one is a 6500 C3 and the other a 6500 C4.

You sound like a pro already. That is quite a collection of gear. For lures I would just suggest that you look at the list of the top 10 for taking 50" fish, this data is available from Muskies, Inc. and is also published on the Jackson Lures website. Track record, track record. A good book worth reading on lures and their various uses is Saric and Heiting's Introduction To Muskie Hunting (or some such title). Good luck.

>big ranger, a fancy jersey, a long list of website links that
    >you are a pro-staff for and a few of your own producst being
    >made in china and you'll be good.

Good list Sled, I would just add, Be prepared to trade your Ranger every year, who the hell wants to be seen in a year old Ranger. If you want to be in that top tier you have to have a new Ranger every year.All others are just dogsh!t that clutter up the Lake.

FYI-I'm dogsh!t in my 19 yr. old Fish Hawk !