Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WI 40-inch musky limit, quick-strike regs, etc. should take effect in 2012

RE: WI 40-inch musky limit, quick-strike regs, etc. should take effect in 2012

Great news!!

>Hi all:
    >
    >A head's up: the statewide 40-inch (and 28-inch) size limit,
    >quick strike regulations, and 50-inch size limits for Rice
    >Lake, Redstone and Great Lakes broodstock lakes have passed
    >the WI DNR's fisheries management board and will take effect
    >in 2012 if signed by the DNR secretary next week.
    >
    >Congrats to all who helped make these possible.
    >
    >Steve Heiting
    >
    >www.steveheiting.com

Nice work guys and gals......

And a special thanks to jigstop who told us all NOT to go to these meetings.......

Nice try, better buy up all the single hook rigs you can now......

Roger Treadwell

*Team Johnsonville Field General
    *Tuffy Boats Hull Demolition Captain

WI 40-inch musky limit, quick-strike regs, etc. should take effect in 2012

My posting was premature. A source told me yesterday the above regulation changes needed only the secretary's signature. However, this morning I was told by a Conservation Congress member the regs need to be presented to the Congress at its annual convention in May, and later presented to the Natural Resources Board at its May meeting. If the NRB approves, then it will be law next year.

I verified this morning that the Congress member was right. However, I was also told that with the substantial support these reg changes received, the only thing that will derail them from becoming law next year would be "political shenanigans."

Sorry for any confusion.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

"political shenanigans"

I thought that only happens here in Chicago!! ;-)

I've already heard some of the "single hook" advocates figuring ways around the law. Hope the DNR closes those loopholes in the final wording of the regulation if it passes.

I have long watched the arguments about whether it's just the size of the water in Minnesota or the fishery management that has resulted in their having bigger fish than ours. And, I won't even mention the possibility that God just wanted to give them something to relieve the shame of the Vikings----oops too late:P but seriously...we will grow our fish a lot larger with this sort of positive movement in our management. Ultimately, "the size of the water" issue will prove itself to be the trump card in my view....but we are going to get a heckavalot closer as a result of this kind of better management regulation! Sincere congratulations to those who did the work!

>I've already heard some of the "single hook"
    >advocates figuring ways around the law. Hope the DNR closes
    >those loopholes in the final wording of the regulation if it
    >passes.

Then I suppose we should expect another book out.......

The Outlaw Secret Methods of the Outlawed Secret Method..??

I'm sure there will be "some" who will find a way around things.......

Roger Treadwell

*Team Johnsonville Field General
    *Tuffy Boats Hull Demolition Captain

In regards to the 10 inch quick-strike proposal: I previously posted under the Quick Strike rewrite and Heads Up – April 2011 Spring Hearing topics. I want to remind everyone that the problem with delayed mortality is not due to the use of single hooks but the delay in setting the hook which leads to swallowing. There is a concern that some anglers even using quick-strike rigs delay in setting the hook(s).

The proposal also allows the use of a single treble, as a quick-strike rig is defined as “one or more trebles”. This proposal originally (2007) was set at 8 inches but conservation minded cat fishermen and pike anglers who use circle hooks raised concern over the requirement to use a treble (circle is not allowed) when using a single hook. This year's proposal in dealing with that concern raised the bait size to 10 inches. I believe the better alternative was to keep the 8 inch bait size and focus on the delayed hook setting and not on the hooks or rig used. In fact there is a heightened concern with a fish swallowing two hooks instead of one. Tim Simonson (DNR author) could only pass along the information to the Fisheries committee as it was too late to pull and rewrite.

I work for the DNR in AM and have asked that the Fisheries Bureau Director and the DNR Secretary review this. I also had concern regarding the language used with respect to application of the rule as to time given for hook setting (fixed period vs immediate start of a process). This is based on my experience with administrative code language and the ability to enforce, and stand up to a challenge.

I very much support the goal of the rule but believe strongly that it can be written in simpler terms while giving even more protection to our resource (please see the rewrite post). That would be in the best interests of the Department and the fishery. Sincerely, Randy Reading

These were put through with final approval by NRB. The quick-strike rule was amended (per below) to include use of circle hooks, and with a change in applicable minnow size from 10 inches to starting at 8 inches.

"The Bureau has also made amendments to other elements of this rule proposal after staff discussions, talks with the commenter… In addition to allowing the use of quick-strike rigs, the rule would now continue to allow the use of circle hooks when fishing with an 8‑inch or longer minnow as bait. In general, the circle hook shape is designed to prevent hooking a fish in the gut or throat and to embed itself in the jaw or in the corner of the fish’s mouth. The original rule proposal was designed to reduce delayed mortality in muskellunge that often occurs after the fish swallow lures, and allowing the use of circle hooks will also help to meet that goal".

I'm very happy to hear of the circle hook ammendment. Hopefully the wording of the ammendment will only allow "in-line" circle hooks which prevent gut or gullet hooking. Offset circle hooks are just as bad as the old square single hooks. "In-line" circle hooks have proved to be a safe and great alternative when fishing with suckers for me. I've seen a single circle hook rig outfish 3 quickstrike rigs in my boat while fishing with a friend for the past 5 season. And all circle-hook caught fish were hooked in the edge of the mouth - usually in the corner.