Thread: Double Dawg/Shallow Dawg

Double Dawg/Shallow Dawg

I have heard that the Double has more hang time (like D Rose!) than the regular mag Dawg. Has anyone used the Double Dawg enough to compare it to the mag Shallow Dawg? In the summer, I like the mag Shallow Dawg to work close to the surface over the tops of weeds, etc. I'm wondering if the Double would work similar, or would it sink too fast like the regular mag Dawg?

RE: Double Dawg/Shallow Dawg

Regardless of the weight of a bulldawg you can bend it to make it stay up shallow or to go deep. I have not used the Double Dawg but I would assume with the wire harness the same holds true. I can work a magnum or regular dawg within a foot of the surface after modifying. Bend up and to the side. When it goes one direction, give it a quick snap and you can actually use it as a glide bait this way too.

I think the shallow dawg has more hang time than the Double Dawg. The Double dawg has a different action as the two tails tend to stabilize the dawg and it isn't as erratic. So you get less of an exaggerated vertical movement. It is a more subtle movement than a regular or shallow dawg. I just haven't fished both enough to really figure out when both are most effective....but I plan to!

If you want even more hang time than the shallow dawg, try a Hellkat. They have been out for about 3 years now, and a dream to work over shallow rock and weeds. It is similar to working a weighted suick, except it has a slow descend compared to a slow rise. They are about the size of a mag dawg. Hellkats drop about a foot every 2.5 seconds. Get the cork model!!!

We do youth outings for Muskie inc, and I have high school kids throwing these, and they don't get fatigued as fast as they would with a shallow mag dawg, + we get lots of attention from the ski's...;-)

Thanks for the info guys.

I saw that Hellcat on the Baystore website. What a strange looking thing? But if they are using it up there, then like you say, it must work well for shallow cover like in LOTW.

Is that the ACE lure(hellcat)? I beleive I had one a number of years ago, but I think it got busy in my tackle box and welded itself to an old eagle claw hook box that contained some brass swivel snaps. It had pretty nice action after that, as the yellow mister twister that was already stuck to the hook box, gave a little extra pizazz.

Seriously though, I forgot about that lure, and you have my interest again. Couple questions: You mention the cork model, do they make a standard model as well? Can you rip the cork(or any) model without them blowing out? How do they work in fairly heavy current?

The hellkat lure is made in Slinger wisconsin. Smokeys bait shop handles them, or I can get you any color you prefer. I do not pour this bait, but a friend from high school makes them.

I pull them pretty hard, and I like the cork model. But this lure is more a finesse swimbait, and is used more in somewhat lighter pulls than the dawgs seem to be worked. There is a lead model which has 1 oz of lead in the lure. I'd say you can work it down 5 - 8ft. Where the cork one seems to run at about 2-5ft. Of course, you can let these sink and get down deeper. Jason, I am not sure how well they are in current, although being a lighter weight plastic, it may look more natural, but may not reach the depths you might be looking for.

What is cool, is to let these cork model Hellkats descend on slack line and they will spiral down on the sink, being in a horizontal plane....

Pic attached... Thanks for asking!!!

Your attachment was a text file, not a picture....
    "All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

I see the picture. It's two delicious looking creamsicle Hellcat thingies.