Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Spinnerbaits

Trolling Spinnerbaits

Hello Everyone-

Does anyone have any experience trolling spinnerbaits? I have tried in the past with little success. When trolling, the bait wants to pop out of the water, or the bait travels to shallow in the water column. Does anyone have any suggestions to keep the baits deeper in the water? Maybe which types, weighted, non-weighted, line diameter, trolling speed, etc... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Superman

RE: Trolling Spinnerbaits

Doesn't seem to matter if it pops out of the water once in a while. I've caught fish up to 47" with them running 3-4mph with about 15 feet of line out.

If you want to get deeper, you'll have to use more line and weight them, or go slower.

We troll spinnerbaits because they stay high, otherwise we'd use straight bucktails. There is no such thing as too high in the water column if you are in clear water. Over the tops of weeds there is no other depth to run.

We run them 4-5mph trolling, and they take some tuning to get them to run right unless you have one that is awful heavy. But even the heavy ones will stay in the top three feet no matter how much line you put out. There's just too much lift from the blades to sink.

Trying to get them to troll deeper goes against what they are designed to do, kind of like pounding a nail with a screwdriver. There are much better choices for going deeper, like crankbaits. If you have to run blades deeper then go to a heavy inline bucktail and put a 4oz. to 1 pound beadchain sinker between your mainline and leader, assuming you are running a 3-4 foot trolling leader.

I just bought a couple of a Shumway's big spinnerbaits with the only purpose in mind of trolling them over 40 to 60 feet of water because of the huge profile and big blades to yield max flash. Calling power!

I started messing with a big Fudally willow blade model late last season. Seemed to be able to get some depth, but I need more time with it.

Best trolling bait ever made.
    In addition to the above suggestions about adding weight, you can also point your rod tip down in the holder, and often I run mine in the water (also helps with weeds).

Learn to use speed to control spinnerbait depth. If you need to go fast to get hits, which is very common, and your lures are constantly popping out then put more line out.

While shortline trolling is popular, using a long line (75-100 feet) has many advantages.

You lures will "react" more with speed and direction changes with a long line.

Making a sharp turn on an inside corner or around a point will cause your baits to fall or rise more dramatically with the longer lines.
    the erratic behavior you can achieve with long lines can often get you more strikes.

Heavy tandem Rad Dogs are the number one trolling spinnerbaits out there.

You might want to read this article:
    http://www.ontariomuskiefishing.com/...-spinners.html

"All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

I LOVE short-line speed trolling with spinnerbaits. Rig 'em so they crisscross in turns through your propwash and get your net ready.

Occasional blowing out isn't a bad thing. If it still bothers you, spinnerbaits are made with a variety of head weights for this very reason, or go to baits with smaller or fewer blades for less drag, or put your rod tips in the water.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

It's easy to change depths: general rules

Longer line and/or smaller diameter line (in general) = deeper
    smaller and/or more elongated blades = deeper
    heavier = deeper
    slower speeds = deeper

So a heavy, small willow blade equiped bait trolled slowly on a long low diameter line will run quite deep.

Steve do you do a lot of short line trolling up by you?