Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nets

pryan0225

Nets

I'm shopping for a new net and have some questions.

Any advantage in shape - (e.g. teardrop vs. square?

I'm also looking at the collapsable models. How are those working out for everyone? My concern is that they are just that - collapsable. I worry that they would fold at that worst possible time.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Pat

RE: Nets

Stowmaster makes a great musky net. Easy to open, stays open and folds nicely to put away. I have several friend using them and we haven't had any problems with them. Jim Saric is using one this season on MHTV.

my current nets are just fine, but when its time to replace i will strongly consider the Stowmaster

rnovak

I had a stowmaster a couple years ago and loved it. Not going to explain how I lost it though. I got a really good deal on a new frabil last year but as soon as its on its last leg, I'll be buying another stowmaster.

I am pretty sure any lost net includes "then it sank to the bottom of the lake". I recommend popping the end cap off of the net and adding wine corks into the handle then replacing the cap. Might want to glue the cap in place but I didn't. I added 26 wine corks to my handle and it floats like a well ... cork. I understand many dont drink that much wine, nor do I but if you stop into your local tavern and ask them they will probably help you out. Good luck on your new net may it land you many muskies.

I have two different frabil's and love them i have a beckman bag on my "wisconsin" model the 34 in bag and it has a square bottom which is awsome for leaving them in the water and getting the hooks out. I also have a big kahuna for when i go and target bigger fish on some of the lakes around here and when i go to minnesota. It is a great bag but dosent come through the water easiest when your by yourself its hard to move i have not had any issuses when someone else catches a fish and i put them in the bag its hard to move but can be done. I also have used Bucher's bag which is a 60 in thin netting and i know frabil is coming out with that bag very soon and the plus to this bag is you can swing it through the water with ease then down side is the bag is thin and will wear out faster then one of the heavy netted bags. I have not used a stowmaster because like you im scared of what might happen and even with the nets i have they dont get in the way very often. There's my 2 cents hope it helped.

I bought the Frabill Big Game Power Catch couple years back and it's pretty awesome. It has the rubberized coating on the net and the extra bag circumference/depth needed for the big girls. I never have an issue with it while Musky fishing and I was very stoked I did the day of landing my second largest Musky so far. ;-)

Best net on the market in my opinion is the Frabill Big Kahuna. I have used Stowmasters and Beckmens and in my opinion their aren't as nice as the Big Kahuna. Huge net, nice thick mesh so hooks don't get crazy tangled, rubber coating on the bag, etc... Get the biggest net on the market...the Big Kahuna!

Here's an idea for a new product...Call it Musky.net! That way you would have a product that had the exact name as the web site. I think somebody owns the URL but is not using it. I'm not interested myself, and honestly think my "Power-Catch" is pretty close to perfect, but if some dude decides to to do it....you heard the the name here first!

Several years ago someone posted about using expandable foam in the handle. It works! The net will not sink even with the cover on.

Another Big Catch/Big Kahuna fan here to, have owned Beckmans and didn't care for their hook tangeling abilities and used a friends Stowmaster in his boat a few times, stowmaster was nice after opened but not a simple simple task when in a hurry.