Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Boat Trailer Licence Requirements

RE: Wisconsin Boat Trailer Licence Requirements

I too believe the A class plates are the lightweight up to C class being 8000 lb. If not my 3/4 ton is way under plated and the Mazda I used to have was way over plated

I guess I am sort of sorry for adding this......but let's say you put your trailer on a scale at any truck stop (they all have them) and you have the trailer hitched to the truck and the axle(s) on the scale (not the truck axles) and you are just about a hair over 3000 lbs and want to avoid the payment.....well if you use more of a drop-down hitch, you just might increase the tongue weight on the hitch and reduce the axle weight on the scale (naturally your particular rig requires experiment) or you might not cinch the boat up so far (or farther) or even move the axle itself forward or rearward. All this can get you what you want....naturally not worth the time for most. As a truck fleet operator we adjust loads all the time to keep things legal without really changing what we haul. Just don't think an out of state smokey knows that Wisconsin has a different law than they do and that you are going to be treated with the utmost respect because your willing to explain about it. Just buy the damn tag.

I stand corrected....from the WI DOT website...

Truck - Private carrier
    Weight sticker designates gross vehicle weight: A=4,500 pounds and under; B=6,000 and under; C=8,000 and under.

Just don't think an out of state smokey knows that
    >Wisconsin has a different law than they do and that you are
    >going to be treated with the utmost respect because your
    >willing to explain about it. Just buy the damn tag.

Sorry but the state of Wisconsin will get as little of my money as is humanly possible.

Some day (when I grow up) I am going to have a nice little place on a nice little chain and I am going to have a nice young guy put my boat and pier in for Spring and take it out in the Fall and I will not pay for a trailer licence either......but for now, I am pulling a big boat all over the damn place for as many trips as my wife will let me go on, and they are precious trips for me. I have learned the hard way that all sorts of things can ruin a trip and getting stopped out of state for few bucks that the tag costs, and what the trooper has the ability to do if he is in the mood to do it to you can make you really feel stupid for letting it happen. You carry a spare tire, a good jack and a wheel wrench if you're smart, you try to make certain that the wheel bearings are properly greased, the tires at the proper inflation, LED lights that won't burn out under water, lock the hitch to the ball....all the stuff that goes along with properly running a boat trailer and then decide MAYBE I can get away without the $53.00 tag??? OK go ahead!

They have these crazy things now in squad cars called computers, you think it is that hard for them to look up what the trailer registration law is in WI.? Like I said I have been from Canada to Tennessee without ever a problem.

I wanna know if this has been law for a year or two, where was the notice? The old saying goes "ignorance is no excuse," but when you've lived in a state that never required this, where does the responsibility fall? The state obviously keeps track of who has boats, as they send you renewal stickers. I realize vehicle and trailer licensing is different than boat renewal, but seems these two entities could be talking to each other.

I'm kinda in that gray area, weight wise. My loaded boat is ~2400#s by rough figuring, don't know the weight of the trailer off hand. Gotta be close.

This has been a law for at least 6 years(when I got my 23' snowmobile trailer) but my guess is much much longer. I am confused by the confusion or anger. The state REQUIRES a license plate if your trailer GVWR is at least 3000#. The fee scale goes in increments from there. Just google the wi dot and check what you need. The actual weight of the trailer does not matter, unless you exceed the GVWR(different issue). For example, according to the ranger website the trailer GVWR on the 619vs is 5000#- NEEDS a 6000# GVWR license plate to tune of 42.00/year in WI according to the DOT website. It appears though based on the DOT website if you don't use it till say April for instance that fee is reduced. According to 5 different officers(family and friends) that I have spoken to, the trailer licensing requirements are governed by the "state in which it resides" UNLESS it is being used for interstate commerce then that is potentially a whole different beast. When traveling out of state, just carry a copy of the law from Wisconsin and your title(if concerned) and you will be fine should you get pulled over on a RECREATIONAL fishing trip. Highly unlikely to be pulled over though unless there is other reasons as most officers realize licensing laws vary from state to state. Remember TOURNAMENT fishing will likely be construed as interstate commerce so never mention that as the purpose of your fishing trip. Or better yet check to make sure of the interstate commerce laws in relation to driving time, weight, etc. Being overweight or wrong plates, whole different issue. Hope this helps clarify the issues. Just because you always have does not mean you were always right. Sorry to be so long winded.

P.S. The answer to the original post is if your boat's "state of residence" is Wisconsin than your 620 will need some sort of license based on the GVWR of the trailer.

Confused by the confusion? Law for 6 years?

Gotta be missing something here. I just bought my boat (used) and this June will be my second full year of ownership. If this has been law for however long, who was planning on telling the owner? I just put it in my name two Junes ago and paid all the DNR fees, registration, taxes, switched all the titles over, insured it, etc. DNR didn't ask.....insurance man didn't ask about the license plate number either.

Never insured a truck w/o giving State Farm the plate #. I'm not necessarily saying its their responsibility. Rhetorically though, who's responsibility is it to know what you don't know.

I have been living in WI. now for about 23 years and honestly until this thread I had no idea you needed a lic. plate for any boat trailer? Like was said, when were they planning on telling anyone??