Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Exercises

Fishing Exercises

Musky fishing can be physically demanding. Just wondering if anyone does any exercises to get in shape, and if so, what types are recommended??
    "All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

RE: Fishing Exercises

Look at Lindner Angling Edge web site Troy Lindner has two sets of excercises for fishing you can download free.

I alternate which side I keep my wallet.

Thanks -- Just what I was looking for. I'm no tournament fisher, but working musky tackle without some preparation can be punishing. Also liked some of the tips for unwinding while on the water.

"All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

Hey didn't Saric do an article a few hundred years ago about this?

The best thing you can do is back exercises. There's some simple exercises that can be done in the living room for strengthening the back that make a huge difference. When in the boat for long days standing in the same place for a long time throwing bricks the back get tired unless your 20!

I like 12oz. curls, but never more than six reps in an evening (at least most evenings) or I build up muscle too quickly. Not only do you increase your core strength but the added muscle keeps you warmer in cold weather. You also get the joy that comes with recycling which is good for our environment and the fish you would like to catch. It's a win-win situation! Just talking about exercises is making me want to work out.

Great excercise to do that works wonderfully is to tie a rope on a stick with a weight at the end, wind it up and down. I do this a few weeks before opener and I no longer get sore. No problems with #10's on opener anymore.

JEM

do you ever do super sets by adding a 1 1/2oz glass of Canadian Club to your routine? talk about feeling the burn!!

rnovak

I like JEM's idea of a workout ... 12 oz. at a time in diminishing increments. :7

Seriously, the best workout I've found to get into "fishing shape" (whatever that is) is to work with dumbbells. I use two 30-pound dumbbells and do three sets of 20 repetitions of curls, hammer curls, shoulder presses, and shoulder shrugs. This works on your back, shoulders, neck, forearms, biceps and hands, and overall helps strengthen your core. You can do this while watching TV at night.

Lots of walking helps, too, because your legs need to be able to handle a full day of bouncing in a boat.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com