Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wisconsin Boat Trailer Licence Requirements

RE: Wisconsin Boat Trailer Licence Requirements

Not sure when anyone was going to tell you. Not sure they even know or maybe they assumed you knew(Buyer beware stuff). I don't mean that rudely either.

For instance when I bought my snowmobile trailer. It weighs 2800# with GVWR of ~5800#. The dealer asked if I wanted a 3000# or 6000# license. I said since the trailer alone weighs 3000 I better get the 6000. Her response- "Thats up to you." HUH? Thats the law chief. You sell them, you should know. Makes you wonder about the dealer at that point.

Maybe boat trailers are new to this regulation. Honestly I don't know cause mine is not even close. But, there is no designation difference on the DOT site. I think if people researched stuff like this(not everyday info) they would find a lot that they were wrong on. I know I learned a few things that would have never occurred to me because of this thread. So thanks to who started the thread.

Another instance, I also went riding with an officer this winter and he looks at my chain connection to the trailer(factory installed) and says the state wants a separate anchor point on the trailer for each chain(mine has both to same). Who the hell would of thought that was an issue since it was built that way? I would have never known. Not sure it is a law but recommended by state patrol after a trailer disconnected up here in GB and killed a girl across the highway.

As was mentioned earlier, the plates go with the vehicle so maybe it was assumed they were on there. My insurance has never asked for my plate number on my trailer either. All they want is the VIN number. Go to the Wisconsin DOT under state patrol. There is a FAQ segment that outlines it. They also recommend you license trailers under 3000# just to avoid any hassle where plates may be required. The boat and trailer are 2 different things. The DNR could care less if your trailer is registered. The State Patrol could care less if your boat is registered. The dealer- they don't care at all. They got your money.

Completely off topic. One thing I learned while looking around on this reading laws was that if you have a bottle of booze with a broken seal in the back seat of vehicle in a bag of groceries(say to keep out of the rain in a pickup), technically you have open intoxicants in the truck and can be ticketed accordingly. Had no idea! Maybe I am the only one. Shame on me if so. I still didn't know and no one was going to tell me I have been traveling illegally for 17 years. Better to know late than after you get the ticket. So I consider ourselves lucky. No harm no foul.

pardee lk,
    Wow, you really have done your homework. I agree with everything you've said. Nice explanation.

Thanks mgk. Kind of picky that way about trailering. Off topic, but it can have some serious consequences if done wrong but some people seem to not care or don't know. I don't want to be the guy broke on the side of the road. Don't want someone making fun of me like I do them cuz I have the coupler pointed in the sky or at the ground like on every pop-up camper I see on 51(accident just waiting to happen). My favorite though is the guy with the wood packed so tight in a tiny little 4X6 trailer that the axle is totally flexed and he is rolling at like 75. Sorry that was all way off topic but just makes me shake me head. Lastly, I sure as hell do not want "Johnny" with his fancy lights on behind me when I am going fishing just because he was having a bad day and wanted to enforce a certain "obscure" law for the first time in his career. Better things to do. I know enough of them already, no need to meet another. To each their own though. Be safe and enjoy.