Thread: night fishing?

r1

night fishing?

Another question for those of you who fish at night. Do you use a lantern or do you keep it totally dark other than the navigation lights on? I have head lamps but I am not sure if it will spook muskies at the boat side when I have it on. Any help is greatly appreciated. Everyone has been a HUGE help getting me started with all the help.

Rich

RE: night fishing?

keep your headlamp off until you hook a fish - not only will you potentially spook a following fish - you will be eating bugs :D - make sure you 8 after every cast and hang on!

And also I have sat in AdamO's presentation on night fishing (he's a local guide here on the Madison Chain) and he also mentions that if you hook a fish - fight fish and use your partner's light till you net the fish. Many fish are lost when you quit fighting the fish to turn on your lamp. Also get a very powerful headlamp.

Another thing that helps, is to put a White sock over your stern light. Cuts way down on the light glare and bugs, but is still very visible to other boaters. ;-)

Because of the lake I normally fish, I know my way around but there are stumps everywhere, some just under the water. I use a 5 million candle power spot light to navigate and find the weeds and such. Usually you'll see musky just sitting around the weed edges. I get to my spot, and turn off all lights except for my navigation lights, then start casting. I haven't noticed muskies really getting spooked. infact they don't even move.

Mike

john skarie

If you use LED headlamps, the red or green lights can be left on without spooking fish.

They are quite dim but let you see your lure and follows pretty easily.

They also don't attract bugs like white or yellow light does.

I usually only use them during new moon, or cloudy conditions under full moon. Prefering to use just my eyes when I can.

JS

As a kid I would go out and try fishing after dark in my row boat since i had no motor on my boat it was legal to fish with out lights.
    In the early 90's i hired a guide to go out night fishing he kept the lights off in the boat as long as no other boats were around.
    I like the idea of the sock over the lamp myself. I have a head lamp but keep it turned off except to fight a fish or get a tangle out.
    A couple things i learned from the guide whne someone hooks a fish get a mag light or spot light or whatever and shine it on the tip of the rod and follow the line down to the water and to the fish( I even got a picture of a fish my dad caught blazing past the boat in just moon lit sky and the light from a mag lite).
    And to hold the mag lite against the handle of the net (works real good)when you net the fish.

r1

Thanks to all who have replied to this question. I am going to try it tomorrow night, Wed. night, with a full moon. Hope all goes well. It is great to get all this information and support. It is surprising to find out all this info from other fishermen and fisherwomen.

Rich

>Thanks to all who have replied to this question. I am going
    >to try it tomorrow night, Wed. night, with a full moon. Hope
    >all goes well. It is great to get all this information and
    >support. It is surprising to find out all this info from
    >other fishermen and fisherwomen.
    >
    >Rich
    Full moon in Aug. is a great time to be on the water for night fishing, it was 2 nights before full moon in Aug. that we fished with a guide and learned the ropes many years ago and it was the same type year with cooler then normial water temps dad got a real nice fish and lost a average fish that night both on bucktail.
    The guide had me throwing a top water and i went hitless.
    Dad got his fish at ten olock so don't quit too early.
    My lure of choice is a jointed DeptRaider.
    Lots of guys quit when the moon comes up but when you are on vacation you fish when you can, and the moon was shining brightly that night.

r1

Chuckski,

My wife and I went out last night and tried the full moon. It was the best musky fishing I have had in my short "career". We had 3 fish on, 1 blow-up on a buck tail, and 4 follows. It may not seem like a lot of action to some, but to me and my wife it was AWESOME.

Thanks for the info.

Rich