Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trailer Tires

Trailer Tires

Just got back from Canada. I had 2 blowouts one on the way up and one on the way back. When they went it took the finder with it. What tires
    will last more the 2 years? I have had it with Goodyear Marathons.

RE: Trailer Tires

As far as trailering bias tires are better than radials with less chance of a flat, specially if you are driving on rough rocky or gravel roads.

I guess I should knock on wood but I have made 8 trips to Canada from Ohio fished the PMTT trail and all on the same tires since 2006. When talking to the Goodyear rep he said the main cause of blowouts is under inflation and loading the boat and trailer with to much wait. I am over the 36000 miles and will change my tires out for next year but The tred is good and will keep them both for spares. Guess I have been real lucky.

>Just got back from Canada. I had 2 blowouts one on the way
    >up and one on the way back. When they went it took the
    >finder with it. What tires
    >will last more the 2 years? I have had it with Goodyear
    >Marathons.

More than 2 years? If you're putting lots of miles on, the answer is NONE. I trailer everywhere, and learned the hard way this year that 2-3 years is the maximum life with high mileage (10K per year on the trailer) and highway speeds.

Also, make sure that your axle is ok, and that you do not have any toe/camber. I've heard of guys blowing out a bunch of tires only to find out the problem was elsewhere.

Re: bias ply tires, while they are stiffer in the sidewalls, they do not hold up to speed worth a damn. On my load range C tires, the max speed rating is 100-105km/h.

TECK what kind of boat was this with???
    "Hey what did I ever do to you?"

Well, I am probably an idiot for even admitting this ... but I have the original tires on my trailer still and my boat is 8 years old.

I have been up north MN from the Twin Cities countless times, Canada 7 or 8 times, and my boat even made a trip back and forth to Phoenix for a year when I was living there.

Never had a problem and still on the original tires.

Ball Cap

I used to blow out 2 tires a year and have bearing failures, even with repacking every year. My trailer was undersized. I went to the correct rating trailer and I put new tires on it and service bearings regularly - never a failure. Point of that is - load is HUGE on tires 'blowing out'.

My tires on this trailer haven't given me any trouble, but are starting to wear as if there is a possible camber issue. They've been on there for 2-3 years (maybe 4). I may not pursue the wear issue, as they've been there that long. I may just replace them.

I HATE changing tires, especially trailer tires, on the side of the road. I did a lot of it when my trailer was overloaded.
    Vacation rental at Lake of the Falls/Turtle-Flambeau Flowage...
    www.havenbythefalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Haven...16168151750320

Goodyear tires are exactly that...good for a year.

Goodyear has been riding their reputation for a number of decades now and for less money there are a number of much better brands to be had for cars, trucks and yes trailers as well.

When ever you are looking at tires keep the load range in mind. Load range refers to the stiffness of the sidewalls and if you have a heavily loaded trailer on a regular basis you are better off increasing the load range of the tire to prevent failures.

When a tire is overloaded the tire will heat up and then over heat and when a tire is overheated the layers of the tire will seperate.

Just a small amount of research when selecting a tire will allow for a much less problematic life of the tire.

As was posted earlier always watch the tire pressure, and increase the pressure as you increase the load but try and stay out of the top 10% of the max pressure of any given tire because scourching hot road conditions can increase the pressure and once again cause a failure. Every tire has a associated pressure to load chart for it and by knowing what your loaded trailer weighs you can maintain the correct best pressure for that load.

If you watch these factors you should be just fine as far as tires go!!

Have some Titan Radial ST with a load range D..
    I have had these tires for 2 years they are great and hold up really good. I would not hesitate to put them on again
    Wally

Yeah I agree that a lot of folks buy more boat and skimp on a trailer. Then they load it down when they go to Canada or up north.

Keep that in mind the next time you order a boat package.