Thread: The Musky Hunter TV Show: Episode 9 This Saturday

The Musky Hunter TV Show: Episode 9 This Saturday

The ninth episode of Season 5 of The Musky Hunter Television show airs saturday morning. For those of you that have Fox Sports Net North the episode airs at 8:30 am central. For those of you that have Comcast SportsNet the episode airs at 10:30 am central. For those of you that have WFN, you'll see a different episode this week. Episode 9 will air on WFN in a few weeks (WFN is on a different airing schedule than Fox and CSN). Plus,it will air multiple times each week.

One thing I have learned over the years is that usually there is more than one way to catch muskies in any water. Quite often there are several good patterns happening at the same time. In this week's show we cover trolling the breakline with chrome Depthraiders. There was a good casting bite happening at the same time, however, my guest host got injured and had to cancel. So, I decided to go trolling myself. It was a crazy day and I wish you were all there with me. Check it out this weekend.

<www.muskyhuntertv.com>

RE: The Musky Hunter TV Show: Episode 9 This Saturday

Really enjoyed the show. Though it has been over 5 years, the lake looked very familiar to me. It wouldn't happen to be in northern Illinois, would it ?

That's correct.

Yes nice to see you trolling locally and doing well. I heard from a friend about the day you were out there and did very well :-)

Steve

I just watched the show. I noticed the 2 big fish were caught trolling the front short rod with 5" Tuff Shads in shad colors. Do you normally find that the larger fish hit the rod closest to the boat. Thanks can't wait to watch the next episode it is the only thing to get me through the winter.

Jim-

First, I was very, very glad to see you stop the motor when you hooked fish. I've seen several youtube vids of guides up here in the Green Bay area motoring right along at 4mph while fighting, netting, etc. This ain't salmon fishing, guys. No reason for that.

Second, I gotta ask what I'm missing with running rods/lines that way with the long lines straight back on the inside rods, and the short ones out to the side. Hope I gathered that right from the show.

Whether with boards or long lines, walleye or muskie trolling....my longest leads are generally the farthest from the boat. Otherwise you're bringing a fish on a short outside line into a long inside line.

I get that tangles happen, and that you were fishing alone. Just seems like its going to happen more.... running lines this way and I'm wondering that the reasoning is.

Thanks,
    Eric

Let me try and answer some of these questions. I do commonly run some short rods up front as they are the first bait through. When the muskies hit the first bait through that tells me they are active and when they are active it seems the biggest ones hit the short line. Also, when they hit the short lines close to the boat it means I can troll slightly faster (up the speed .25 to .5 mph).

I think you can either run shortest lines closest to the boat or longest lines closest to the boat, as long as your set up is consistent. When not using boards, the way I set the rods in the show is typically how I set my rods. When using boards, I typically have my shortest lines on the boards farthest from the boat.

As far as preventing tangles on turns, you have to consider the depth and position of the lures relative from another. My rear 4 rods were the same 6 inch depthraider so by having the deeper lines closer to the boat I was able to maintain a "V" pattern with my lures which prevents tangles.

Also, I kept the motor in gear but show down when fighting the fish, I don't put the boat in neutral.

Hope that helps.

Hey Jim ; Really enjoyed the short line trolling show. I can relate as I do much of this in Southeast Wisconsin to avoid the presure. I do use slightly different lures but do get similar results, especially on days like you had. Looked like you had a blast.

Question; What is the top speeds you are able to run with the 6" chrome raider before they don't track properly???

Jim Dembiec...;-)

The top speed is around 4.5 with the smaller Depthraider.