Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you doing in the off season to improve your musky fishing

What are you doing in the off season to improve your musky fishing

Other than getting new parts for my boat, I am going to try different rods and reels and see how they work.
    One reason being as you age you fish differently. Also with injuries affecting your fishing style as you age I will be doing some different work outs to see if it will help my durability for longer periods of time.
    The past couple of years I been doing less fishing for myself because of old injuries.
    Also I`ll be checking out Steves website and see what kind of info I can gleen from that!!! Hey learn from the expert and you cant go wrong!! except when it comes to turkey hunting from what I have read!! Then I thing I can teach Steve a few things!! :7

RE: What are you doing in the off season to improve your musky fishing

I bought a 9ft rod. I watch musky videos and read musky articles to keep the ideas flowing. But, most of all, I put my reading glasses on and comb the LOTW map and mark good looking spots that I would like to try, but I never do becuase I only have one week and so many proven old spots. I lift weights a bit, mostly to stay in shape, but I'm sure it helps with my musky fishing. This year I have vowed to get better figure eighting dbl 10's but that's hard to do without water. I need an indoor pool.

i read the message boards and daydream of having a smokin'-cool pro-signature 9' rod.

I'll be doing the same thing. Trying different rods and reels. Also going to try some sort of wrist support. I'm still pretty young but the pain I get in my wrist's the past couple years is getting pretty bad. I can't imagine what its going to be like 10-15 years from now.

I wore a wrist guard for a couple seasons and it helped. I fished without it last year and did fine. I think I got used to keeping my wrist straight during the cast and only bending at my elbow.

The only downside to wrist guards is they are hard on the cork, and you get funky tan lines.

I sharpened hooks, sent my reels out to be oiled, and tried to forget about fishing for a while this winter.

Something to try if you are having issues with wrist and forearm soreness is to do "hammer curls" in the off season. A hammer curl is done similar to a regular curl, but the dumb bell is held perpendicular to the floor rather than paralell like a regular curl. There are also hammer curl bars that you use with both hands perpendicular to the floor. It gets its name from the way you hold the bar, similar to a hammer.

I used to get soreness in my forearms after a long day on the water with long rods, heavy lures. Mentioned it to a trainer at the Y where I belong. He asked a couple questions about how you hold the rod, etc. and suggested the hammer curls, with a bar, dumbells or even a cable machine. The important thing is the way your hand is positioned, again keeping the hand perpendicular to the floor. I will be 60 when the season starts and just doing a couple sets, two or three times a week has really helped. It strengthens your fore arms much more than a traditional curl and if you combine it with some good tricep exercises, you will find it to be most helpful. The tricep is used in casting motion.

The "junkman" moniker is from 35 years in the scrap metal trade, the early years of which I drove my own truck and loaded a lot of steel by hand. Therefore, I am not about to "pump iron" or "lift" a piece of iron that I do not get paid for. My need for knee replacements also keeps a lot of options off the table. I did find that I could swim however, and joined a pool where I have been pretty religious about going 3-4 times a week all winter long. I also find that if you go to the pool just before closing, you can see how a lot of the baits you bought are running.

Marty, I can certainly understand your position on the weight lifting for fun, not profit!

However, I have been swimming on my lunch hour for many years and I still got soreness in my forearms. The swimming is great for your upper back and shoulders though. I don't fish the hours you do, so I can't "fish my way into shape" like guys who spend a lot of time on the water do. In a couple years I will be retired and living on the lake year round, then I hope to fish my self into shape.:-)

Nothing Gare.....I'm doing absolutely nothing......

But like sled, I kind of follow this Board and try to pick up as much inteligense as I can......

The wife got me a membership at one of those workout places around here somewhere.......I may head over there at some point....maybe.

For now, I'm smoking up another pork shoulder for tomorrow....

Game time.....go Pakers !!

Roger Treadwell

*DWTS Home Judge Pro Staff
    *Team Johnsonville Field General

I have trimmed off 45 lbs since November 1st and I am now back to my high school wrestling weight. Losing this weight will guarentee bigger fish! If my body is smaller, the fish in the pictures will look much bigger. My simple math shows that I dropped from 260 lbs to 215 lbs or reduced my body wieght by approximately 17%. When I catch a 35 lb mid-summer fish, it should look 17% bigger, or approximately 41 lbs. I am also hoping this will solve some of my lower back problems too..