Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Super-Heavy Musky Found Floating In New Brunswick

vb RE: Super-Heavy Musky Found Floating In New Brunswick

The STATE record here (ohio) only measured 50 inches and supposedly weighed 55 pounds. I've never seen a picture.

I would have to guess they will find a big meal in this muskies stomach. Couldn't two fish with the same dimensions weigh two different weights, lets say 52lb and 60lb because one has an 8lb carp in her belly? Or does the 8lb carp drastically change the girth measurement?

Chris Riebe

I believe Pennsylvania's State record ( in Linesville , Pa. was 59 1/2 inches and weighted 52 1/2 pounds. Caught in 1928 on a minnow by a walleye fisherman.

For clarification, the PA record is 59 inches and 54 pounds. It is also the longest standing record we have in PA.

There goes somebody's sleeper fishing spot.

Many years ago I saw a very interesting mount of a 50 pound plus musky, that weighed just over a pound per inch when it was caught and weighed on a cerfied scale. Mounted on the same slab was a 5.5# walleye that the taxidermist had found in the belly of the fish. He called my friend's uncle and told him the the walleye looked as fresh as if it had just come out of the lake and did he want it mounted too. The musky had been caught on a large sucker that it spit out in the net. Without the walleye, the musky would have been under 50#. It was caught in late fall and must have really been putting on the feed bag. I spoke to my friend's uncle about it and he said that the most amazing thing to him was that the fish slammed the sucker hard, like it was starving and here it had the big eye in it. The fish was caught in the late 40s, early 50s, can't remember but since the uncle was retired cop, I'll bet he dispatched it with a handgun.

How about the auction for proceeds guys? Nothing boys?!?!?

I read this and have been wondering could the saltwater environment have something to do with the extreme girth.

Very interesting reading on the topic but it does look like tissue can take on or loose water as fish move from fresh water to salt water and vice versa. If the fish had adapted to salt water then moved to fresh it can absorb water. If there are kidney problems the fish would not be able to remove that water properly. It’s a very complicated process and many fish can and do it regularly. My guess is musky have not been studied in this capacity, so who knows. But salmon and sharks move back and forth between fresh and salt water regularly.

The process is called osmoregulation and here is a pretty good paper on the subject:
    http://www.fish.washington.edu/class...Lecture-14.pdf

Will be interesting to see if the autopsy says anything about the weight.

Nail A Pig!

Mike

Mike,

Muskies are not equipt with the proper plumbing to inhabit salt water environements. They would only be able to survive in salt concentrations equal to that of their body cells.

J

Ok Jordan, so what would happens to these fish that live in an environment where the tide is pushing salt water up in there dance space. They would absorb the extra salt and not be able to get rid if it like salmon do. Could that cause them to gain weight, in the manor seen in these obese fish from the Saint John? It would likely also be a cause of death eventually if the fish didn’t move to a lower saline environment.

What about if the musky is “smart enough” to stay out of the higher saline but if they eat a large number of bait fish that are equipped to handle the duel environment, my guess is those fish would have to have a higher saline body percentage especially if they were moving in and out of the fresh water. Becasue they don't dump the salt instantly, right? How would that salt affect a fish that isn’t equipped to deal with it?

Nail A Pig!

Mike