Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Villas Co Musky Mar. Kill Div. update?1-4-11mtg

Villas Co Musky Mar. Kill Div. update?1-4-11mtg

HEY FOLKS,

Was just looking over this thread from the past few days and was wondering if anyone had heard whether or not the input made any impact during the meeting reportedly taking place yesterday?

Lots of good points made over the two pages of responses regarding this highly controversial category in the time-honored Villas County Musky Marathon that allows the counting of multiple kept/killed Musky. Everything from how archaic, morality, legality, heritage, legacy and even it's connection to the economic life-pulse of the region; all valid and arguable points.

What I did not hear and/or, more accurately, read was anyone making the argument that this is one of the major underpinning 'drivers' behind a small but ever growing number of concerned anglers supporting a push for serious consideration of some form of "MUSKY STAMP" legislation.

Each legally licensed angler has a personal decision to make when he or she lands EVERY 'legal' fish. Creel #s, length, season, etc. are laid out in the letter of the law and most follow accordingly. I feel it is their decision to keep or not to keep if they have followed all of the rules.

That being said: Anglers wishing to keep an otherwise legal Musky, especially in those waters identified as sensitive or subject to over-harvest by the appropriate fisheries professionals, should be limited and subject to additional fees at, or beyond, ONE. Ducks, Bucks, Elk and more have one form or another across North America with the accountability, revenue and resource viability seemingly better off for it.

Not an original cause on my part nor one I initially supported some years back but one that may just be something to at least add to the discussion. I felt that the way it was done when in Ontario, the option of purchasing a license to keep (ONE) fish over a min. of 54-inches before you set out for a few dollars extra, was a pretty good idea.

Of course there are many other examples that would likely work in one form or another and no 'blanket plan' ever seems to be the answer. We all have the right to the resources managed by our tax dollars and no one user group should be allowed to recklessly, with wanton disregard for any other ... sack and waste the interests and efforts of all the rest of us. You want to exercise your right to kill multiple fish, help to cover the cost of the excess? We could make it much less a moral or ethics deal and folks could still harvest a few if so inclined as we hopefully takes steps in a direction that would make such concerns a thing of the past.

Just some food for thought.

Thanks for listening,
    Bob Osborne

Fishing is a living legacy ... lets work together in passing it on!
    JOIN MUSKIES INC. .... THE FUTURE OF MUSKY FISHING DEPENDS ON YOU!

RE: Villas Co Musky Mar. Kill Div. update?1-4-11mtg

ooo i had that idea im sure it wasnt original but i kinda thought ya why dont they just treat game fish like deer, ect.

Obviously the goal with much of this is to reduce the number of muskies killed by casual anglers that encounter a musky. Yes, diehard musky anglers kill their share of fish via delayed mortality, but ask any biologist of the impact of catch and release on today's fishery and they will tell you it's their number one management tool.

I also think a stamp would be a good idea. However, there are some drawbacks and concerns. The stamp has lots of political implications with any State as there would be revenue produced from the stamp. The stamp should be required for anyone fishing for muskies, and not just to keep a musky. Of course, it would be great if the funding somehow would go back to the resource or help musky projects in the Stae, but I won't hold my breath for that. The reason I would want the stamp for anyone deciding to musky fish is that it would provide a better idea to the State of the number of musky anglers. That of course could help give musky anglers an increased voice. On the other hand, for some States such a stamp could hurt musky fishing, as States may use it to justify reducing musky funding.

There is no question a stamp could help reduce the number of muskies killed by casual anglers, as they most likely won't have a stamp. Yet, it could cut both ways for musky anglers and musky fishing. It may help support or eliminate musky programs. So, we have to be careful of what we wish for!

I think the real solution is to continue to educate on the benefits of catch and release and to promote the musky as a tropy fish, regardless of size limit. For most casual anglers the decision to keep a musky or release it will not impact their decision to return to a resort or not the following year. Having to release a musky will not be a negative experience. Today, almost everyone has a camera on their phone. That picture can provide lots of memories and passing on those memories or letting someone else enjoy that same experience is what we have to help casual anglers understand.

how can you justify having a stamp just to fish for musky?

i could see keeping a musky,but not fishing for them...

then we would just get into needing stamps for every kind of fish out there... you can argue that musky are in another category,but i think most musky fishermen that just catch and release when asked for their "musky stamp" when stopped by game commision would quickly turn into bass fishermen who use big lures haha ...

My fear of only having a stamp for those desiring to keep a musky would be that very few would get purchased and someone at the State level might "incorrectly" conclude that there are not many people fishing for muskies in the State, therefore lets put less money into resources for preserving muskies.

You are correct about some angler saying they are fishing for another species. However, it would be the same argument/decision a warden would make for those that decide to "pike fish" with musky gear when the musky season is closed.

As I stated earlier, the stamp is not an easy solution as it can cut both ways. Having all musky anglers purchase the stamp just helps generate more income to the State to hopefully be used for musky conservation projects and to show the large number of musky anglers that exist to help give us a voice. Yes, the stamp could also be viewed as a financial punishment, but it would still reduce the number of muskies killed by casual anglers.

is it illegal to fish for musky out of season? i thought it was just illegal to keep fish out of season not fish for them

What about having two levels of fishing licence one strictly catch and release and one where you can keep the fish. Make the catch and release one that has a reasonable price and the one where you can keep the fish extremely expensive. The money raised from the catch and keep would go to stocking directly. Oh and since all will lambast me on this comment I know I'm an A$$.

From the 1940's up into the 1990's a special license was required to fish for muskellunge in Chautauqua county N.Y.
    Neighboring Cattaraugus county also had its own special muskie license during the same time period.
    The Chautauqua muskellunge license cost about $5 and came with five numbered metal tags very much like the seals used on semi trailer doors, if you know what those look like that's pretty much what they were. In the last years the tags were plastic, I still have a strip of five that came with the license I bought in the last year they were required, about '91 or so. I got my first muskie license when I was nine years old, at that age a regular fishing license was not required but I had to have a muskie license regardless. Yes, I kept the legals I caught in those days, everybody did. License holders were limited to five fish per season and were not transferable, you could not use somebody else's tags.
    If you wanted to keep a muskie it had to be 40" and the tag was put through the mouth and out the gills then snapped together at the ends. It would have to be cut off to remove. If the law found you with a muskie in your boat it had better be tagged or you would be fined and the fish confiscated. If the fish went to a taxidermist, the tag had to stay on the fish and be removed by the taxidermist.
    Ours went in the garbage along with the head after it was cut up into fillets and steaks or the head got nailed up on the shed by the dock if it was a big one.
    At the end of the season you had to mail the license in to the DEC regional office in Buffalo with the dates of your catches and the sizes of the fish recorded in the spaces provided on the back of the license. This provided DEC with a lot of data to gauge the fishery by and proceeds from the sales of the licenses went to the hatchery at Pendergast point on Chautauqua, the first muskie hatchery ever, grand daddy of all muskie hatcheries.
    Today the hatchery is supported by private donations to provide the bait fish fund to feed the baby muskies.

I like the idea of a stamp. It would probably weed out a lot of the anglers who don't have respect for the fish. A stamp is not going to deter anyone who is serious about musky fishing. In MN you need a trout stamp to fish for trout or salmon. For a few extra bucks they mail you an actual collectible stamp for that year. A collectible musky stamp would be kinda cool.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to musky fish out of season. Seasons for most fish are set around the spawning time for that fish. You are supposed to leave them alone to do their thing when they're not in season.

isn't just raising the state size limit an easier solution? FH50