Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spearing rules?

Spearing rules?

What are the spearing rules in Minn. and Wisc?

I'm on a lake that's just getting going with stocking and it sounds like we have a significant problem with undersized fish being speared.

Any talk of a spearing ban by the local biologist seems to trigger action by the state Darkhouse Association, but what can we do to protect the young musky stocks?

This is a lake with good historic pike spearing for fish in the 18-30 inch range. They have reinstituted a 24 inch limit since they've been stocking muskies, but it sounds like a lot of 30s are getting speared. Musky limit is 42 inches.

RE: Spearing rules?

Best bet is to join a local Muskies Inc chapter and become involved.

Only indians can spear in ceded territory's in WI. they don't allow spearing by anyone else for pike, thats a MN. and MI. thing.

Whats up with those indians up there in north WI??? Seems like they can do anything they want....theyr above the law qith that Tribal Police crap....forgive me, if im offending anybody but being from Chicago its really wierd to me

Im not trying to affend anyone either but the things the indians get away with is just plain ridiculous.

This is a can of worms waiting to happen. The thing is a long time ago they were promised there rights to hunt fish and gather for as long as the sun shines and the grass is green in trade for using there land or we basically took it and paid them a 1/2 a penny per acre or something like that. It has been through federal court and there is not much anyone can do about it now. Things that happened 100 or more years ago are hard to reverse now, the contracts where written and are legal. You live with it thats all, it does no good to stir the pot and start trouble. Most of us that live up here just except it, it does no good to fight it. I guess if you don't like it go someplace else.

i think if the indians can spear a fish congrats lol i duno why they would want to rly spear a musky ive heard there not good eating but it doesnt seem like much of a problem

Hiya,

First off, I find it interesting how this became more about indian spearing than really relating to the question which was more about darkhouse associations fighting a spearring ban...

From what I know, many darkhouse associations do not want to see more and more lakes being restricted for that type of harvest. I know quite a few people who enjoy darkhouse spearing (I have done it myself and it is an enjoyable way to view and harvest quality eating northern pike in the mid to high 20 inch range). I do know that any lake in MN that is a designated muskie lake is not allowed to be speared so that a muskie is not mistakenly speared from that particular water. Other lakes have restrictions based upon length, etc which are more localized to certain bodies of water.

So...as new stocking of muskies take place, there is resistance from the darkhouse anglers in that they might lose that particular body of water for spearing purposes. I'm not surprised by this at all, seeing as though spearing is not anywhere near as popular as it once was, and many now frown upon it because it is not able to be practiced as catch and release.

I would be wary of trying to push for something based upon heresay (refering from your post of sounding like spearing small muskies is a problem)... If there is definitive proof of muskies being speared (either mistakenly or intentionally) the best thing you can do is notify a CO in the area and get them involved. If there is any way to get the restriction on the lake as you would like, there would need to be a bunch of evidence showing that the muskies are being speared. Pretty tough battle out there in this realm..

Cannot speak for Wisconsin...not even sure residents can darkhouse spear there.. I believe in MN, you must be a resident to do it...

Steve

Well he was asking about spearing rules in WI. and there is no spearing except by indians. Or it might be legal some places for carp.

Michigan is the only place in the world where muskellunge spearing is allowed by non-natives. Some places it is practiced with minimal impact to the fishery, some places it has viturally eliminated a "fishable" population of muskies, most places fall somewhere in between.

Sadly, there is really almost nothing that can be done to stop the sub-legal spearing. Make sure the local CO's know about it and hopefully they will patrol as often as they can- which of course will be hardly at all given the current staffing levels in Michigan. At some point- with enough prodding and backing by concerned anglers- the DNR will have to stand up to the darkhouse group if Michigan is ever going to reach its musky potential.