Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Why kill a large Musky to mount it

RE: Why kill a large Musky to mount it

Funny how people get so worked up over the "elitist thing".

The hatred and disgust thrust upon people who feel fish are more valuable alive (for a multitude of reasons) than dead is puzzling to say the least.

Two examples in this discussion, muskies and trout, have gone from populations that were depleted enough to attract only die-hard anglers to spend time fishing for them, are now in better shape than they have been in decades in MN and WI.

Let's not kid ourselves, that didn't happen because of all you "elitist haters" out there.

People sure like to reap the rewards of our current fisheries, but don't ask them to help keep them up.

> >>I also want to see a
    >>>BS world record taken off the books.
    >
    >
    >It won't happen if EVERYONE releases every muskie they catch.
    >
    >
    >

NO matter what Musky world record fish someone catches, there will be some of you that will not believe it is, because most Musky guys have a EGO that will never let them believe that someone other then themselves could catch a W/R fish. With me I'm the only one that needs to know if it is or not, so I would not kill a W/R fish so some of you can say that it is not.
    <*{{{{}}}}<<<

Elitist hater? Hmmmmmm... I don't believe I said that. Nauseated by the occasional browbeatings? I'll take responsibility for that remark. It's not the messenger or even the message. It's the delivery.

My problem is when someone(anyone)tries to cram their philosophy(any philosophy)down my throat and if I don't immediately subscribe, I'm the one that is less than worthy. Taking people to task for not agreeing to your opinion creates an air of superiority, elitism. I've been around the block a couple of times.......take a walk and get some air.

To reiterate: My personal belief is for 100% C&R. Period. Josh has the same outlook, just for slightly different reasons. We agree. You and I agree on the concept, reddevil. We just differ in the dissemination of that philosophy.

Regards to you Josh, and best of luck in your pursuit.

I just remembered why I usually steer clear of these "conversations".

/mike

Conserve the resource, the future of musky fishing starts today

To be fair Otto, I never singled you out as an "elitist hater".

Delivery is what you make of it, or how you take it. For many people just talking about releasing all fish for whatever reasons is "cramming" philisophy down someone's throat. The guns are drawn at the very mention of not killing a fish.

Why is it that C&R proponents need to be soooo politically correct about expressing views but not others?

It's very easy to take a stance against somebody elses views when you can "label" them and make them out to be your enemy.

catchmuskellunge

How about asking John Casselman to provide evidence (Skull, skeleton, etc.) of any muskies 60" or larger from the VHS die off in the St. Lawrence River? He cannot because they never existed. He will provide you with data without a shred of evidence to support it. The fish that are up to 30 years old that he speaks of are all UNDER 60". These fish that were lost during the VHS die off included the largest specimens that ever lived in the St. Lawrence River and that speaks volumes as far as maximum growth potential of these fish. Still think the many photos of 60" releases are legit? :)

interesting how you point out that 60" don't seem to exist catchmukellunge but yet a few weeks ago you lectured me on what the proper girth of a 60" fish is/should be. They don' exist, yet you seem to have the knowlege on how they are proportioned. Interesting indeed?

I do agree with your stance on exaggerated catch sizes, but no not agree with your girth formulas...

catchmuskellunge

Brian,

A 60" muskie doesn't have to exist in order to determine what the average girth on one would be if it did exist. As I stated earlier, an average girth on a muskie is about 45% of the total length of the fish and this is the case REGARDLESS of the total length. This means if a 60" muskie did indeed exist, an average girth for this fish would be about 27". (27" is 45% of 60"). I hope this answers your question.

Avgerage girth varies from lake to lake and region to region.

That is something every musky hunter knows.

catchmuskellunge

reddevil,

Average girth does NOT vary from lake to lake or region to region. Muskies that have girths below 45% of their total length are considered BELOW average in girth regardless of what lake or region they came from. There are lakes and regions that consistently produce muskies below average in girth but that doesn't change what is considered average for the SPECIES.

22.5" x 50"

24.75" x 55"

27" x 60"

29.25" x 65"

31.5" x 70"

33.75" x 75"

36" x 80"

All PROPORTIONALLY IDENTICAL and all have average girths for their lengths. The last five hypothetical examples are for all you dreamers out there.

catchmuskellunge

Consider that the IGFA record is said to be 33.5" x 60.25" yet the photos show a fish of just average proportions. In order for this fish to have average proportions and a 33.5" girth the fish would have to be 74.44" long! (33.5" / 45% = 74.44").

This record is NOT controversial, it's a disgrace to the sport!