Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daiwa Saltist 20 Power Handle With Calcutta TE 400

RE: Daiwa Saltist 20 Power Handle With Calcutta TE 400

I happened to get a call this morning from Chuck at Sportsman's Repair in Mosinee about a Calcutta 400 TE he is working on for me, and I mentioned this thread. He seemed to think that even the power handle that Shimanno makes can cause the reel to trip accidentally, and he really seems to prefer leaving the stock handle on all together. When I started to describe my own particular problem with the reel engaging only after switching it to a lighter rod and lighter baits, he described the difference between the type of cast where you, more or less, sweep the rod in a big arc to launch a heavy bait, as opposed to more of a "snap cast" where you are really asking for the problem to show itself. He had me figured pretty darn good as to what I was doing that showed a problem where there had never been one before. He convinced me that now that I was no longer using that reel to cast doubles or stuff along those lines, to put the stock reel back on. And last, I don't know how others feel about this, but even though you get both handles included with the Revos, I prefer the double to the power handle there too. As to the Saltist, that particular power handle was created with the divine perfection.

Here's my thoughts on power handles...

If you cast overhand with the handle pointing straight up, the reel should not engage. However, I prefer a slightly more "open" wrist position. Furthermore when I am fishing, I am concentrating on a whole bunch of other things (lure placement, wind direction, boat control, etc...) so I prefer to eliminate wrist rotation as a factor.

So, I eliminate this element by making sure my power handles are PERFECTLY balanced. Just because a handle has a counter weight, doesn't mean that it is perfectly balanced. The official Shimano power handle for the Calcutta 400B is close, but not perfect.

The way to tell if a power handle is perfectly balanced is to: take it off the reel, place the mounting hole on your finger, and balance it on your finger like a "teeter totter."

If a handle needs balancing, I add stainless steel washers to the appropriate side to get the balancing just right.

This is why I would like a MHM article on power handle compatibility with different reels. If I have multiple handles to choose from, I can find a perfectly balanced handle that fits my reels and buy those instead of modifying the standard ones to get it right.

I have a Shimano Tekota power handle on my Daiwa Luna and it works great. Like it has been mentioned before, if I try to cast really far, the handle will engage the reel and make a terrible noise. It wakes up you boat partner if the fishing is slow. I just try and keep the handle down on the cast and if you have to cast that hard, it's time to move the boat in anyway. I have used it for three years and so far no negative affects.

Everyone has there own preferences, styles and baits they lean towards. My preference is to not put my power handle on my TE 400's , I've learned the hard way. It is only inevitable that the real will engage at some point and time, and it only takes once to blow it up. If you want the power or line pick up then stick with a trinidad or saltist learn to hold the foregrip. Besides a change up through the day is a nice break on your hand.

I resurrected this thread in order to ask a question about balancing the Shimano power handle. One poster said he added stainless steel washers to the handle's counter-weight because the production counter-weight was insufficient to balance the handle. My question is how did you add the additional washers to the counter-weight? Any comments/suggestions welcome.

On all Calcutta TE reels part # 2711, Clutch Pawl Spring needs to be replaced every year if you have a power handle, I have custom Heavy Duty Springs made for me for all my Calcutta reels, that spring makes a big difference.
    <*{{{{}}}}<<<

I have the Shimano power handles on all of my TE's and can't imagine fishing without them anymore. I also have 2 of the Shimano LJV's, these don't have a counter weight on them and have NEVER experienced the handle engaging during a cast. I used my 2 LJV's all year with zero failures or the reel engaging during a cast. I would highly suggest power handles, awesome for bucktails, big rubber...pretty much anything actually as in my opinion it was much easier to fish and less fatigue in your wrists and fingers no matter what kind of bait you are using.

I knew a guide that said he didn't need powerhandles on his TE's..he claimed powerhandles weren't needed. funny stuff.

Another option that some might like to know is Trinidad 14 power handle fits on a Reve Toro Winch. The "power handle" on a Revo isn't any larger in diameter than the stock double paddle handle it comes with so it in essence provides no more "power" but only comfort by the nice big rubber handle to hold on to...going to the trini handle is awesome on the Winch for slow rolling

Thanks for all the inputs.

I bought a used Calcutta TE 400 with a Shimano PowerStopper handle which occasionaly engages during a cast with large lures. I must admit this accidental engagement doesn't happen very often if I position the handle up. But remembering to do that every cast is a nuisance. So I'd like to eliminate the problem.

Also, in an exploded view of the reel, it looks like replacing the clutch pawl spring would not be easy. Can you do it yourself? Where could I get heavy duty replacement springs??