Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bucktails gone wild????

Bucktails gone wild????

Since spring, bucktails have been my go to choice for action this summer. Not only on my home water of the Fox Chain, but my few trips north. Size doesn't seem too important, as Mepps Marabou's have been great, along with the 10's. Even a few of my older bucktails have come out of retirement, and scored. Quickly, I might add. Others I've spoken with feel the same. Above average results. Some of my plastics and body baits are complaining.

Are some of you experiencing the same thing, and I wonder how long this will hold up as the water cools???? Or is just a few of us local guys experiencing this???

RE: Bucktails gone wild????

Blade baits have put all (every single one) fish in my boat this year.
    Highly unusual, but definitely not complaining.
    Cooler summer and no excessive water temps has equalled shallow fish and verocious feeding.

All bucktails here too. There was even a post on here a week or so ago about the fish being a bit thicker this year too. I have to concur. My dad boated a 28" a couple weeks back that was pretty round. I'm having trouble uploading the pic though.

I haven't been out much this summer Roger. But I believe that a big number of fish taken on The Chain here have come on big blades. And they are truly nice thick fish. You probably know that already, but it seems that it is a good year for bucktails in general. Why that is, I have no clue.

Bucktails were good for us in Canada over a two week stretch around Labor Day. But so were Suicks. It was just plastics and cranks and everything else that didn't work other than a fluke fish here and there. Skunk Eagle Tail and Night Hawk Suick outfished everything else for numbers, especially when the bite was terrible. The one half day they bit like crazy Fudally double 10s worked the best for size and numbers, but did absolutely positively nothing earlier when the fish weren't on.

Haven't seen a fish at all throwing bucktails. Then again...I've never thrown them.

How much are you guys throwing bucktails compared to other baits? A considerable percentage of the time more than other baits? It's a self fulfilling prophecy. If I threw a dang rubber worm 90% of the time on good muskie water versus a bucktail the numbers would work out so that the rubber worm would see more action.

If you throw crankbaits 25% of the time, glide baits 25% of the time, surface baits 25% of the time and bucktails 25% of the time all on equally good muskie water and the blades are bringing considerably more fish to the boat then you might be on to something.

I'll keep throwing my crankbaits all season long and catch just as many fish as I would if I would throw bucktails the same amount of time.

If I threw a
    >dang rubber worm 90% of the time on good muskie water versus
    >a bucktail the numbers would work out so that the rubber
    >worm would see more action.
    >
    >If you throw crankbaits 25% of the time, glide baits 25% of
    >the time, surface baits 25% of the time and bucktails 25% of
    >the time all on equally good muskie water and the blades are
    >bringing considerably more fish to the boat then you might
    >be on to something.
    >

ALL things being equal. On good water, blades have outfished my other go-to baits all season long, so far. As of this morning.
    And I sure hope it continues. I've been fortunate.

As for the rubber worm, I don't think I'll try it until the water cools some........have to see what R&H has.

How much are we using bucktails? Depends on if they are working or not. It doesn't take long to figure that out when you have three different lure types being thrown and you fish every day for two weeks.

Bucktails are an easy bait to use so why not use them when the fish want them? Pretty unproductive trying to force feed them something they aren't responding to. I love fishing gliders, but I only tried them a few times before I sent them back to the big box in the cabin. When they are hitting Suicks why throw an Eddy? Love twitch baits, after a few days they too went on the trail of disgrace back to the cabin. In fishing there is only one question to ask your lures, what have you done for me lately?

They followed an Eagle Tail, chart/gold blades like crazy. Tried spinnerbaits with chart/gold and nothing, smaller bucktails with chart/gold, nothing. Same lure and cranked it faster, nothing. They wanted that lure and retrieved slow if they were going to show, not hit mind you, show. Try and make them hit, good luck! Ocassionally they bit the Skunk with gold blades but rarely, except for one real nice fish, followed it. Go figure.

Trolled those bucktails at 3.8 mph and caught a few early on but as the string of hot sunny days progressed they flat out wouldn't touch them trolling like that. We could stop and cast in the same area we trolled and get follows but no takers.

Finally we had a weather change and found they'd hit at 4.3-5.3 mph. Same lures, same spots, same speed we'd tried earlier and got zippo.

We trolled cranks from 3' under the surface to 40'deep, nothing. Casted cranks of every kind you could think of and had one fish in two weeks. Threw bulldogs, topwaters, gliders, spinnerbaits and anything else we had including jig/creatures for nothing but one small fish on a topwater. Worked them in the shallows, weed edges, shallow reefs, deep reefs, and on rock cliffs, nothing. It wasn't we just used bucktails, it's just that is what the fish wanted. We asked, they told us. Just like the Suicks. They'd hit 9"ers but not 10" or 12"ers. Why? Who cares, that's just the way it was and after trying the others it was 9"ers for me. I love the bigger ones, have done great on them in the past, but we weren't fishing the past. It was now and by the end of the second week it was two rods rigged for me, one Skunk Eagle Tail and one 9" Night Hawk Suick. No need for anything else until proven otherwise and that change happened in the last hours of the last day.

Blades continue to produce nice fish. But temps look to change a little this week. Will be interesting to see how things go on the drop, and when clarity improves.

Strange season, but I'm not complainin.

For me, it's been just the opposite, this has been my worst year with bucktails, to the point where I don't give em much time before switching to bulldawgs or big crankbaits.

Which is likely a big reason it's been a bad year for bucktails, I haven't given em much time.