Thread: 8' 6" St. Croix Legend Tournament vs. Premier vs. Tooth Tamer

8' 6" St. Croix Legend Tournament vs. Premier vs. Tooth Tamer

I own an 8'6" Sling Blade (TM86HF) and it is a darn near perfect rod for me. I am thinking about buying another and found that St. Croix Premier (PM86HF) and Tooth Tamer (TT86HC) have similar rods.

Obviously, price is a difference. What do you all think about these rods and what are the main differences?

Brian

RE: 8' 6" St. Croix Legend Tournament vs. Premier vs. Tooth Tamer

The Premier is an alright rod, but not even close to par with the Tournament series. I have an 8ft Premier and it is nice, but is much heavier and off balance in comparison.

The St.croix avid series is more in line with the Tournament than that Premier.

If your boat is blue, then your rod should be blue. If you need a blue boat, I have one for sale. But seriously, each of those rods is about 100 bucks more than the next one down and I'd say they are all good for the price paid....just a question of whether you have the coins rattling around in your pocket. Just don't think that you are going to use an LT for any lenght of time and then want to go backwards.

Brian,
    I have the Premier 8'6" XHF, it's a good rod and I use it for anything but glide baits and jackpots. My fishing buddy has the Legend "Big Dawg" and it is awesome, not sure if it's almost $200 more awesome though.

Nick

Not to throw a wrench in your plans, but you really need to check out the new St. Croix Legend Tournament "Big Nasty". This rod is 9 foot long...and is all that. I have been fishing with it for about a month now, and it is simply incredible. It casts Cowgirls and Mag Bulldawgs with easy and is an awesome figure 8 rod. I have really noticed a difference regarding what I can do with a lure at boat side. I get asked every year if you could only have one rod, what would it be, and I struggle with that answer, because there is no one rod to get it all done. However, this 9' Big Nasty is something special and is definitely ONE rod you need to have.

I can't speak to the newer premiers, but I know you wouldn't be dissapointed running any rod in the legend tourney line. That 9'er Jim speaks of, is definately a nice rod, that is in a category of its' own.

That said, I run the Tooth Tamer line and have to say, the 8'6" Heavy, is the nicest 'all around' rod I have personnally used. All around, meaning it has been great for double 10's, standard sized 'large' bucktails, big topwaters on up to mag dawgs. Its' also a great rod for ripping big jakes and grannies etc. I run the 8'6" medium heavy(nice small topwater, twitchin', spinnerbait rod) and the 8'6" extra heavy(also nice mag dawg rod, good for really heavy spinnerbaits, and has been good for livebait), but the 8'6" heavy is the one I'd buy if I could only choose one. I like the way it loads with the blades, and maintains a load with the big rubber during the retreive. Also like syncorks feel and comfort over the real cork personally(never thought I'd say that). If you can get past the fact that the rods are made over seas, it is a nice stick for the money, no doubt.

Yeah, the 8'6" Heavy Tooth Tamer really is a nice rod that can do alot. I like it more than my custom rods.
    I also like the syncork, looks like cork but has a better feel.

The big nasty is the rod of rods! Hands down!! Nothing even comes close beside maybe a sling blade or the Predator x heavy built to nine feet with sny cork. From thornes. Nine foot rods are the bizzness!

I've been using Tackle Industries 8.5/9 foot MH rod with the extension handle, and really like the light weight and the stiff tip section.

http://www.tackleindustries.com/muskypikerods.html

That said, I had some problems with the original extension handles, but James fixed me up (warranty) with upgraded extensions handles that have been up to the task.

I just ordered a couple of his new 9 foot telescoping rods, as I like his rod blanks better than the Okuma 9 foot, 3 inch rod, which I've also been using this season.

I went to telescoping rods as they fit better in my Tuffy Esox LTD rod locker, which is nice when driving in the rain, which can get reels pretty dirty.

James sent an email announcing that all his rods can be purchased through October for $110, delivered, which to me is a great deal.