Thread: My labor day experience

My labor day experience

so my buddy and I finally put together a solid effort to musky fish. I have caught 0 Muskys. Here we are Southwest virginia, New River. Throughout the day I saw 2 follow ups which were exciting for me. Both times I saw fish were with a bulldawg. We stop right above some rapids where the river was very deep. A few casts later I think im hung but soon realize its a fish. 20' away right in front of my friend & I we see a beast of a fish on..looks 40" or so.I set the hook hard and keep the line tight then it jumps 4' out of the water and spits the bulldawg out. I had a awesome time and just wanted to see one. Anyways, just wanted to share my first musky experience.

If you miss a fish like that do you keep fishing the same area or is it a waste of time?

Would you reccomend throwing another bait next cast?

Any of you river fish? Most info I find is all about northern lakes.

Thanks guys and I am officially "hooked" now.

-Tim

RE: My labor day experience

Typical first experience. Count yourself lucky that you saw one clear water. I was utterly unprepared when I first hooked one. Better that the fish spit the lure out than that he broke too light a line to hold him and had to swim away with a lure in his mouth. (That is what happened to me. Makes you feel rotten.) Make sure that your line is sturdy. Make sure that your knots are sound. Make sure your net is adequate to the task and never go out without it. Make sure you at least have 8" pliers and gloves for unhooking. You don't want to get hurt; or hurt a fish you are going to release. Catch lots of fish.

Well looks like you sucessfully solved the locational element of the pattern, so good on you. Fish comes up, rod tip goes down... but sometimes that's how it goes. I have had a couple success stories casting the same lure back, but that's just me.

Hello,
    I fish the New most every trip. What section were you on ? I mainly fish around Galax/Fries, but will take trips up to Radford and Eggleston. You can PM me and we can talk abotu the river.
    Best
    Chad

Don't leave fish to find fish. I would thoroughly fish that spot assuming it's not a small one. If it's small, maybe just a few more casts there.