Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trolling skill vs client skill

RE: Trolling skill vs client skill

Seems like a good time to tell my story about fishing with Jim Saric at the Musky Hunter school. It was the second day of fishing and the first day had few skis on the board. You could see that Jim wanted more fish on the tote board and I was lucky enough to have drawn the chance to fish with him that day. So, he takes me and the other guy on the longest possible boat ride to the most out of the way and poor looking spot you ever saw. He positions the boat to exactly where he wants it, puts his feet up on the rod locker step, and while beginning a slow chew on a big choclate chip cookie, points to a specific spot (kind of like Babe Ruth pointing to Center Field) and says, "Cast over there." So, I "cast over there" reel in a just-over 40 inch fish, get the trophy for the school and my picture in the magazine. Honestly, I was there and I think 10% for the client is way too high---I'll take the 1% and call it about right. (and NO--I'm not saying where the spot is)

In the early 90's I hired a guide three years in a row and my dad got two fish and the guide fishing two of the three years got one (the first trip he had a bad summer cold and did not fish,he went way above the call of duty to go out with us)Year one we went night fishing in Aug.,year two fished the weed bite in June,and year three fished with suckers in Oct. After those three trips I became good muskie fishermen on my one or two week vacation to the northwoods.
    Now I have a friend who lives near by here in Colorado who does it differently. When he goes back home to Wisconsin to see his mom for a couple days then heads up north and hires the same guide for two -fours days and leaves his tackle at home and uses the guide rods and lures.Last year he got two 50"s and a few years before that a 51"Three Wisconsin 50"s) and a 49" in Minnesota.I fish with my dad, John my dad friend and my nephew (John passed away last year) so three of us in one boat instead of two nad two in two boats.
    Some years with bad weather we got smoked and other times we have some 2-3 fish days,but all with stuff the guide taught us.

>We can also compare guided fish to anyone fishing in
    >another's boat it's the same deal no? Only difference your
    >buddy only wants gas $$$.
    >

To a lesser degree, but yes, most definitely.

Good post, and an interesting first hand account, thanks.

Richard,

Don't you think there is more skill involved in catching a fish while casting with a guide verses trolling? Here is my reasoning. When a client is casting he is imparting the action on the bait like with the cranks and jerks, he is responsible to getting the fish to eat on the figure eight and controls other things such as depth of the bait and so on..... When trolling the guide controls the speed, depth and other variables and the lures are imparting their own action. The client doesn't pick up the rod until a fish has eaten the bait and is on the line. I think there is far more skill involved required with casting verses trolling when on a guided trip. Just my opinion.......

>Richard,
    >
    >Don't you think there is more skill involved in catching a
    >fish while casting with a guide verses trolling? Here is my
    >reasoning. When a client is casting he is imparting the
    >action on the bait like with the cranks and jerks, he is
    >responsible to getting the fish to eat on the figure eight
    >and controls other things such as depth of the bait and so
    >on..... When trolling the guide controls the speed, depth
    >and other variables and the lures are imparting their own
    >action. The client doesn't pick up the rod until a fish has
    >eaten the bait and is on the line. I think there is far more
    >skill involved required with casting verses trolling when on
    >a guided trip. Just my opinion.......

I guess this would all depend on the fishing conditions, when the fish are going they'll bite just about anything. I guess where you fish makes a difference as if you're lined up to fish a spot in WI or MN will definitely be different then fishing a spot that may see a couple of boats per day.

I can tell you there are definitely clients where trolling is a must as their casting skills won't allow them to catch anything, then again you can get real lucky while casting as well as trolling. I've seen a 49 incher sitting on top with a spinnerbait in it's mouth while the client was working on a backlash and totally clueless to that effect. And yes he landed that fish somehow. LOL

As an experienced caster and troller I can tell you to me it can be as hard or harder to catch a big one trolling vs. casting. I may have to agree with you that for a clinet it may be a bit harder to cast with a guide vs. trolling. Maybe that's why some guides out this way refuse to cast as it may hurt their numbers. x(

Keep releasing them all
    Richard Collin
    www.trophymuskiecharters.com

Catch and release them all
    Richard Collin
    http://www.trophymuskiecharters.com

Richard,

I respect your opinion since you are a successful guide who does both. I agree with you that some people just do not have the skill it takes to be successful at casting let alone the skill involved to get those baits to look like prey that needs to be eaten. For them trolling may be the only viable option unless you get that one fish that become suicidal like you described. That is why I feel it's tougher for a client to actually get a fish to eat casting verses trolling. Thanks again for your thoughts and good luck!!!

There is a guy out here in Oregon that catches more steelhead than anyone by far in my neck of the woods on the Columbia River. His handle is "luredragger". On any given day, he will catch three times as many fish as any other boat on the river.......the guy has trolling down like no other. I have fished along side him many times and at the end of the day I might have one, he will have five. What is weird is it looks like he is doing just about what everyone else is but there are so many subtle things he does that make a big difference. He takes out kids, neighbors, friends, etc., and all get to catch a fish in his boat. A guy fighting the fish certainly plays a part but getting the fish to bite is by far the most difficult aspect of the game when trolling. I give the boat captain almost all the credit.

Jed