Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Musky Fishing and Age?

RE: Musky Fishing and Age?

Dude, relax. I've got ten years on you and can tell you that if you keep yourself in good physical condition, you can cast with muskie sticks for at least another thirty years. In your 60s and 70s you may not want to be out on the water as long as you once did, but you can pursue other things then. (If you're not married, you can put your time to chasing the girls.)

Develop a regular exercise routine. Don't eat or drink too much. Keep your casting arm and shoulder limber. And go to it. When its no longer enjoyable, stop.

Well, when I first started seeing white threads protrud through the scalporunni, I kind of suspected I was getting up on my years. I'll be 38 in November and lately I've been wondering why I didn't start the Musky fishing obbsession earlier on in my life. Working out 4 days a week for 23 years has made a tremedous impact in my recuperation after a hard day of musky fishing. Like the other posters have commented on, buying the appropriate fishing gear, exercise, eat healthy, and have fun. I wouldn't be to "hung up" on the age thing, everyone's gotta get old dude that's just life. I think it's pretty awesome when I see the older guys throwing lures out there, alot to learn from those fellas. Although, some of them don't like to smile and wave back at me. Why so bitter? I know there the good ole' boys that have a wealth of fishing knowledge and have been through a he## of alot more than me. They have paved the way for the younger generation and a "stink eye" to back it up. ;)

There is a gentleman in our musky club that is 89. He fishes in our Thurs. night leauge and is there every week. He will cast for 4-5 hours only stopping to change lures. When asked about the pain... when you get my age your bones fossilized and don't hurt anymore.
    Great guy!

>There is a gentleman in our musky club that is 89. He fishes
    >in our Thurs. night leauge and is there every week. He will
    >cast for 4-5 hours only stopping to change lures. When asked
    >about the pain... when you get my age your bones fossilized
    >and don't hurt anymore.
    >Great guy!

Gordon Moen, perhaps?

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I'm 58 and have a back middle back (spine below shoulder blades) issue resulting from showing off when I was 19. I felt it pop and it's never been the same, but holding any rod in front of me or trying to get a little extra distance out of casts really aggravates it.

I've noticed that keeping my back and shoulders warm reduces the pain, so wear dark colored t-shirts when it's warm and sunny and layers of shirts and sweatshirts when it gets cooler.

Still, I fish muskies until I can't stand the pain, then stop for a back adjustment, then fish till I can't stand the pain again. I don't fish as many hours as I did even 10 years ago, and am always happy to jig fish or throw smaller to mid-sized bucktails or crankbaits with smaller lips.

I'm good for about 30 minutes of throwing double-10's some days, but some days the back holds up better than others. I've got a bunch of big baits that I seldom use.

I've noticed 9 foot rods really help when throwing heavier baits, even though they weigh more than 8 footers. I recently noticed I can throw larger baits with less pain with my 9', 3" Okuma XH, and I like the lighter weight of the Tackle Industries 9 foot rods.

I've recently lost about 35 lbs and wish I could say that it's helped a bunch, but I think it's helped a little, though it might be the exercises I've been doing for the past 6 months more than the weight loss.

I really thought that Steve not liking a couple of his guests singing in his boat was a reflection of his being too young to enjoy the music of our generation. I didn't realize then that he was as old as is stated above, and very much a part of that generation. Now, that the truth is known to all about his advanced years, it's sad to me that he clearly lacks the ability to recognize a pair of guys who can sound astonishingly just like John Lennon and Paul Macartney when they are standing right there next to him in the boat.

Marty your exactly right! I can and do grind the twenty somethings into the pavement! I've even had to show the rugrats at home that they still can't outrun me and that as bad as they think it, "I'm not that old" especially when they need money! LOL! I was just agreeing that some things, very few, hurt a little more in general. As far as the fishing goes I never hurt after 8-10 hours of fishing, because I do alot of repetitave lifting daily. The thumbar thumb is the worst. You know your right too! The Misses has a hard time with the left over energy all right!! I also have the never quit philosophy!! As far as the music -"If its Too Loud Your Too Old"!!}(

When ever I get caught up In a couple years I'd be honored to fish with ya sometime! The muskies have been looking pretty good up there!
    Buddy Ellenburg

Take a Kid fishing they'll have a Lifetime of Memories!!

Couple of things to think about. Exercise is great but are you doing the right exercise? I swim three days a week and lift weights at least twice a week, in addition to one or two sessions of walking.
    However, when I got back into muskie fishing a couple years ago, I got sore and felt it in my forearms in particular. One change I made was to add some hammer curls to my weight training. If you are not familiar, it is the same motion as a standard curl but the dumbell is held perpendicular to the floor rather than paralell. That works the forearm. During the winter I lift at least three times a week and do a couple sets of hammer curls each time. Really made a difference in how I felt after fishing.

I will be 60 next year and I guess the one big difference I notice between now and my mid thirties is that if I do injure myself, it takes much longer to heal, so I am more careful.

I can tell you this from my experienceÖÖ.. Iím 51 years old. I started chasing these fish when I was 17. When I was in my teens and all my friends were buying fast cars and motorcycles, I wanted a boat. I saw a couple of the big muskys from the Niagara River hanging on a hook at a local boat livery. I was mesmerized by the sight of these fish. So, with the help of a lot of the old timers from the river, I became a musky fisherman. Through my 20s thatís all I thought about and all I did. It cost me my first marriage. As I got older and more successful and caught some pretty big fish, guess what happened? I got burned out. In 1999 I sold my 22í Grady White and I havenít been back since. Too much of one thing is not good. Enjoy it in moderation and let it last. And donít be in too much of a hurry to catch all the big ones, once youíre on top thereís nowhere to go but down.

MIke, I think that is just what happens when you fish out east, you are not going to run into the same class of fish anywhere else in the muskie range...so burn out is a bit less likely...Oz