Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Musky Fishing and Age?

Musky Fishing and Age?

Not sure if this type of thought has been posted before but here it goes.

Ok, so I just turned 45 this June right before the Big Trip for the summer. Starting January 1 began working out hard---(was in pretty good shape to begin with) and this summer was in the best shape of my life but here is my question for all you guys---

Is it just me or is Musky fishing becoming more of a young man's game?---Don't get me wrong the guys I grew up following---Joe Bucher, Spence Petros, Doug Johnson, Russ Smith etc... are all I believe in there 60s? And to the best of my knowledge are still going strong at the sport. But so many guys you see fishing hard and serious appear to be in the 20s/30s?

I realize a lot of really good sticks are older than I am but what about it.

Is the body able to continue this demanding sport (100% caster) with age? Assuming one stays healthy or course.

I guess my point in writing is that I truly love to fish Musky's. Not into the glory, or the fame, or money, or endorsements, never had a desire to guide---Do about 95% of my fishing alone. Heck if I ever got a really Big fish I am not even sure I would know how to post a picture.

But with a great little cabin on my favorite lake---and a trophy lake at that--I would love to be able to fish for many more years to come---Into retirement etc...the Lord willing.

How are you dealing with age and Musky fishing?

RE: Musky Fishing and Age?

I know exactly what you mean! I just turned "40" in June! Feel like I'm "20", but I have started getting what I think is some arthritis in the hands and elbows. I work 7 days a week for myself, school bus drive in between that, and am in school for Nursing on top of that! But one of the things I took advantage of is the equipment that is out there today. Light 9' rods like the Hulbert Musky Armour, Pro Edge, and Tackle Industries rods have really helped. They take alot less force to get a bait out there, the rod does alot of the work, it also works for you landing fish. I cast also and I bought two Revo Stx reels for my Larger crank baits, Mag dawgs, etc., paired with Bass Pro Shops power handles. These things really helped on fatigue. I also make sure I eat well on outings for energy and take advantage of Amp energy drinks! If you look at some of the guys that still fish look at the equipment they are using! My time on the water has been less the last two years and is going to get worse. My focus has been enjoying fishing and getting new guys into muskie fishing, I get alot of enjoyment putting guys on fish or seeing their first muskie. And most of all taking the kids out trying to get their first! Hey just because we are older doesn't get the job done! Look at every oppurtunity to fish as a blessing! That's what I do! Hope you get a Nice one this fall!!
    Buddy Ellenburg

Take a Kid fishing they'll have a Lifetime of Memories!!

There's hope. I just returned from a trip to LOTW with three friends and I am the youngest. Ages 70, 66, 65, and 63. We did a four day trip as last years 7 at Eagle was a bit much for us old farts. We don't fish as hard as the younger guys but put in an honest 8 - 9 hours each day and had a he?? of a good time. Caught a couple of fish and are talking about going back again. Pace your self and you can go a while longer. We will also be at the Alliance tournament this weekend fishing for the duration.

I've been told that I don't look my age, and I've never felt my age, with all honesty this is the first year that I've noticed any slowing down. I am fishing a little less, but fishing smarter (so I tell myself)No plans to hang it up, but who knows, someday the chase will end. I'll be 76 in Feb. Tom

I'll be 50 in October and be going to Wisconsin in late Sept with my dad who just turned 78 in July we used to make the trip from Denver to Eagle River in one day, get off work at noon on a thursday leave about 2 PM drive all night get into Rollie & Helens in the afternoon go fishing on a action lake for a couple hours and go to Honey Bear for fish on Friday night. Now we take two day drive stay overnight in a motel. Still fish hard but take the girls out or dinner and stuff like that too.Little tied today went to the Rush concert last night at Red Rocks and didn't get home to 1:30 AM but was at work 8:00AM sharp(had a good time with all the other middle aged rockers)
    Ride the elipicail(sp?) machine a four of five times a week, hit the weights , do some core stuff and work the Grip master so I can hold a fishing rod all day no problem.

Sorry, but 40 seems to me to be about a good 25 years early for this discussion. I will be 61 next month, fished six tournaments already this year and will fish another four before I even get seriously into my fall sucker fishing season. I'm also looking to get a new boat this winter having put some decent wear on one not quite three years old. At 40, I was still working 60 hours a week and wondering if my wife could stand the energy that was still left over. Don't even let this stuff into your head. A good 45 year old angler should be able to put a 25 "something" guy into the ground. Kids that age don't even know which pole is in their hand half the time. Now, having said that, I do believe there is a legit discussion to be had about maximizing your available power as you age. Really good equipment, salt water reels, boats that don't beat you up, high quality glasses with diopters built in....stuff like that, sure I am constantly looking for a way to equalize my situation...but feeling too old for this stuff?????No effing way!!!

You forgot Saric. I believe he is in his 60's.

I'm 52 and still going strong. sure some things hurt and i need to get my right knee replaced. i'm not as agile as when i was a young buck for 45. but i have to agree with Marty as i've gotten older i've found more time to fish and also have fished smarter and with the right equipment. Said i'd never throw a pounder and then went out and bought a Big Dawg rod. Pounders are easier with the right equipment. i know i cant throw pounders all day so i drop down to the mag dawg when i'm tired. Same thing with DCGs, get tired qnd go a little smaller.

if you're feeling old at 40 i feel for you.

rnovak

I know Joe Bucher isn't in his 60's yet...I believe he will be 56 this saturday. And still a great fisherman.

At 42 just got back from a trip to N. MN. Generally the shifts were...up at 4:15 and fish 'till 1pm. Break to nap, eat and back on water by 4pm. Fish 'till midnight. Slept in until 7 on 3 days. Physical result of pulling 10s all day with Saltist as fast as could stand during daytime? Four days of badly swollen forearms, wrists, hands and fingers (looked like sausages). Tingling and numbness in both hands. Could not wear wedding ring or fitted watch. This went on for four days after I returned home. Better now, thank gawd. Sucks getting older, tru-dat!