Thread: Yamaha Trim Question

Yamaha Trim Question

Ok - On top of my HDS7 going out on me, I had something else very interesting happen on LOTW last week.

After the heavy storm, the next morning my Yamaha had trimmed itself all the way up. And then none of the switches would work to put it back down. Randomly tried again 20 minutes later and it went down.

Worked fine all day and didn't think anything of it.

Then the next night without any rain, the next morning the unit was up again and the trim motor was running. Lucky it didn't burn itself out. Switches didn't work for 5 minutes then worked fine.

So the next couple of nights I actually disconnected the battery so we didn't have to worry about it going up and burning out the motor.

I assume it's shorting out somewhere and the rain is what triggered the problems.

Anyone else ever had a weird issue like this?

RE: Yamaha Trim Question

Is it a F250 with digital throttle?

Nope, a 2001 F80 with all manual controls.

had a similiar issue with a Johnson 150 Ficht about 7 yrs ago. After a real heavy rain the next morning i found the motor trimmed all the way up and the trim motor was still running. turns out they had the rubber trim tab cover on wrong so water accumulated in the switch and couldn't drain out. had that fixed and had no problems after that.

rnovak

The trim gauge on my boat ( powered with Yamaha 115 4 stroke) is out of whack- need to find an adjustment for it or something. Does not read as it used to and when fully trimmed out the digital read out is well out of the gauge.

Had this same problem, and I believe it was the design of my boat and not the motor. I have a Crestliner Fish Hawk, and the boat cover does not extend over the front of my bow, where the front tilt switch is located. There is a carpeted wood panel that covers the switch and the small storage area. When it rains this area gets soaked and in turn soaks the trim switch and activates the motor. I have installed a simple switch on my battery and switch off all power when the boat is not in use.

:-)