Thread: Mille Lacs report

Mille Lacs report

I am driving out from Boise, ID to fish Mille Lacs during the first week of August. I have fished it once before, 2 years ago, but if anyone has any helpful info they wouldnt mind sharing, or just wants to give a brief fishing report, I would appreciate it. Its not easy making it back to fish Muskies so I want to make the most of the trip. I am sure that any of you who have hunted out West understands.

Are you seeing fish on weeds, rocks, both? I plan to fish at least 18 hours/day but has it been a morning bite, or evening/after dark?

2 years ago the north end was a zoo...should we expect the same?

Lets hear some reports!

RE: Mille Lacs report

I don't have any real up to date info for you, but take a look at this link, which was from early July. A couple things you'll notice: Mille Lacs was not all that good in 2008-2009, and consequently pressure has dropped off tremendously. Some speculate too much forage, some say with those 2 summers being much cooler the water never warmed up as much as in '06-'07, and perch never moved up shallow and the muskies didn't follow. Cooler water seemed to correlate with a bump in the cisco population too which may have had an effect. Well, this year summer has hit again, and water is warm. Some big fish being caught. Good luck to you, I'm sure someone else will chime in with some reports.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/boar...sts=38&start=1

I have heard Mille Lacs is BACK this year. Not necessarily the crazy bite as a few years ago, but some consistent action with big fish. Therefore, I believe that link to fishing information should help as the muskies are in some of there normal summer patterns due to the summer heat.

Myself and Dockisin,,just there yesterday{sat},,,fished from about 1pm -10:30 had some info from people and fished some good long stretches,,,we saw one about 47 laying in the shallows,,and just after sundown dock had a fish suckdown his topwater hooked for a second and off but it looked big by the slick and the fact that he had the power to just suck it under,,,cabbage is beutiful looking green and no slime,,water seems much darker then normal watertemps on west 76 on north 75,,landings were jam packed with walleye anglers must be a good bite,,we barely got in at wealthwood landing had to put truck in water by a car length and its only a 17ft 50hp but people with roller trailers could use wealthwood,,talekd to a few people no one had seen anything much,,seems like Mile lacs is a swing for the fence lake now,,big one or out,,nighttime seems to be the action,,Mile lacs now might be money well spent on a guide.
    has far has north end I would say from wealthwood to just short of malmo at sunset 25 muskie boats?? nothing compared to the hay days of past

Thanks for the reports! I leave next Tuesday, 8/3 and hope to be on the water by noon the next day.

Everything I am hearing has been positive I just hope I can get a 50 to cooperate...

Keep the reports coming...I am getting FIRED UP!

because your so hyped up its probably a waste of time to talk you out of noon,,but based on reports I would spend most of my time out there after dark

Yeah, I am so hyped I am considering fishing 6 days straight without sleep!! Seriously, I love to night fish, and everything I am hearing now is a night-bite, but we are also on full moon, and I will be there on a waning 1/4 moon, so I am keeping my options open. I know its tough to sling musky lures 18 hours/day, so if it is still a night bite, great, I will spend all morning/afternoon catching pike, walleye, and smallies!

With the weather forecast the way it is, I expect fish to be exclusively on weeds, but if we get an overcast day, would you guys explore some sand flats or reefs?