Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing for Musky

Mark Dobrenski

Fly fishing for Musky

Hello to all!

I just got signed on here and wanted to say hello and ask if any of you did any fly fishing for musky.

I was born and raised in Detroit Lakes Minne, but moved to Bozeman in 78 after a bit of college. 99% of the fishing I do anymore is with a fly rod, including when I get back to the lakes country.

So tell me stories, are any of you fly fisherman for pike/musky?

Many thx for your time

Mark D

(ps last weekend I hiked into some high country lakes and caught my first golden trout)

Mark Dobrenski

RE: Fly fishing for Musky

Come on guys/galz one of you just has to be fly fishing for these critters aren't you?

I caught a 46" on my 9' 9 weight Sage and it was a total blast!

Thx
    Mark D

Mark there are guys who fly fish for Muskies like Eagle River Wisconsin guide and store owner George Langley (Eagle Sports)and Boulder Juction Guide and store owner Bill Sheer.
    Bill also has a DVD The fish of 10,000 casts Musky fly fishing.
    Robert S. Tomes has a book Master's on the fly Musky on the fly ISBN 978074642758.
    Larry Dalhburg of ex In fishermen has a old In fishermen "Fly Casting for Pike" DVD/Video.
    And Colorado fishermen Barry Reynolds has two books "Pike On The Fly"
    ISBN 1-55566-113-0 and "Mastering Pike On The Fly" ISBN 1-55566-291-9
    along with a Video "Pike On The Fly" The Row Troller from this board is a fly fishermen too.I have fly tackle and books and DVD's but never taken the time to go out and put it all together.
    Only a small amout of Muskie fishermen target this fish with a fly.
    P.S. Steve Heiting did aa chaapter on fly fishing for Musky in his book "Musky Mastery" Steve was fishing with George Langley.

Musky on the fly is a great pursuit and about as addictive as any way I have caught a musky to say the least.

the takes are intoxicating and the fights are much more furious then with standard tackle.

I like to use a 12 weight these days most often because I can easily cast the huge flies they like to eat, but I have caught them on rods as light as a 7 weight casting smaller thin profile minnow imitations in early spring like a 4" clouser minnow.

river fishing for musky may even be more effective witha fly rod then standard musky gear beacause of the accuracy and the life like imitations you present as you swim a fly around a obstruction.

If you are looking to get started get set up witha Orvis wonderline with a sinking clear tip. That line will make the effort alot less complicated.

Thom

Mark Dobrenski

Thx guyz,

I know work a 9' 9 weight with my dry's and have a 9' 10 weight for the wets. Kind of nice to have them both rigged at the same time.

I've not done any fly fishing for musky in a river yet and all my time has been on a lake. Casting off the front end of a pontoon is a great way to spend an evening.

The first of Oct will find me in Wyoming hunting for moose and then I hope to get back to the lakes country for 3 or 4 days of fly fishing for musky.

I've tried to get a pic to load on here with my 46" fly rod musky but haven't quite got it to go yet. May work on it again this weekend but this weekend we're also gonna pack into a high country lake so we'll see if I get it done. Last weekend I caught my first golden trout on a fly rod, what a gorgeous fish that is!

Plus bruin season opens here this Sunday so I may well be out Sunday and Monday for bruins as well.

I'll have to check out that video, I'd really enjoy it if it were about lake fishing with a fly rod.

Thx
    Mark D

muskydeceiver

Go to www.wetieit.com

That is Bill Sherer's website. I was going to try it last year. I went out and got a Silver Label rod and an Orvis reel. Spent the winter tying flies. Came summer and I couldn't get myself away from throwing hardware.

Bill has some great videos on tying and chasing muskies with a fly rod. Give him a call...if he is in the office he will chat with you about it for awhile as well. He has a crankbait pattern that is amazing!

"river fishing for musky may even be more effective witha fly rod then standard musky gear beacause of the accuracy and.."

Accuracy? You haven't seen my flycasting!

You need to practice:D

but truth be told it is very easy to become very accurate with a fly rod. its not hard to drop a fly into spots between branches of down timber or within inches of a bog all day long. and with the right fly you can also miss from time to time and just crawl the fly off the bank and into the water like small animal would crawl into the water.

I have never picked up a fly rod, and am not sure that I will ever conjure up the patience to learn this new method of fishing. However, I was given the book "Pike on the Fly" by Barry Reynolds, from someone and it is a very good read. Very interesting book about flyfishing for pike and musky with awesome insight about the fish themselves and their nature. Any pike or musky enthusiast would benefit from reading it.

>the scenery was spectacular and I had the river to myself
    >all day!!
    WOW only four more days of work and off to gods country!