Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on GPS / Fishfinder

Opinion on GPS / Fishfinder

I'm looking to replace my Lowrance X10 fishfinder which is mounted on my console. It's one of the old $99.00 ones that came equiped with the boat. Thinking of moving up to a combo unit without spending the big bucks.

Been looking at the Humminbird 788ci ( $599.00 ) and the new Lowrance Elite 5 ( $549.00 ) that's new for this year.

I spend about 15-20 days a year on the water in the Hayward area. Can't afford to get to crazy with my wifes dollars. Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks, Tim

RE: Opinion on GPS / Fishfinder

Well, I don't know jack about either unit you mention (not knowing anything never stopped me from posting before!), but you may have answered your own question when you said:
    "that's new for this year". Esp. with Lowrance, it's usally best to give them a year to 'ripen'. Good luck, m

St. Louis Marco Island Nest, Missouri Florida, USA Canada.

Lowrance has been having some issues with their customer service in the past couple of years. Hummingbird has had good reports on their service department. I have Lowrance units on one boat and Garmin on the other. But I am considering Hummingbird in the future because of the good reports I've been hearing on their units.

Semper Fi
    Bob Pieske

> Can't afford to get to crazy with my wifes dollars.
    >Thanks, Tim

Tim, I don't know much about those units you post, but what I would like to know, does your wife have a single sister???:D :D :D :D

If you can find one still available the Eagle GPS/color locator is good at a decent price. I got mine for about $450. http://www.eaglenav.com/Products/Fis...ite-642C-iGPS/

if you have a Droid or and IPhone you can download Navionics Lakes North and have your gps/maps combo on your phone for $9.99. next one will have hdmi capability to send to a monitor if you can't see like me.

this way for as many days you can just get a cheap sonar and use the gps/map on the phone and let momma keep the cash.

How much is a Droid, or an I-Phone though???

I have an old LG flip phone, will it work with that????

Otherwise, that's a very cool, brilliant feature with these new phones today. And a good suggestion.

However, all said and done, I would probably just man up and buy a good H Bird or Lowrance unit that you could afford....... and buy what's best for your ship.......you'd be surprised at how your skills may improve because of that........

And save the phone for calling honey when you are on your way home......;)

Probably going Humminbird based on all the info I've been gathering.

Thanks All !!

I got the 788ci new this year. Lakemaster features for lake level, depth highlights, etc, are incredible. Highly recommended.

My buddy and I sprung for the Elite 5 when we got our new rig, and I really like it. The only thing that I don't care for with it is that while the GPS will automatically find your location, it won't bring that lake up on the screen. You have to zoom out and scroll/move to the lake that it has your icon on. But that's really the only complaint that I have with it. Split screen is great for the GPS and depthfinder. Also has a pretty accurate compass and flasher built in, so you won't have to have those taking up room on the console. It's extremely easy to remove from the mounting bracket and take with you, so that nobody tries to help themselves to it. I've heard people saying that lowrance's help lines aren't all that great, but (knocking on wood) as of yet, we haven't had to use it.
    We bought the Navionics North chip for it, and it works great! The HD mapping on certain lakes (Chippewa Flowage, LCO, ect.) helps out a lot, and even the regular mapping for the rest of the lakes is in superior detail to what the regular Lowrance unit can pick up. I'll probably be getting the Navionics East chip in a bit, because of how well the other chip works.
    I'd definitely spring for the Elite 5 again if I were to do it again, and I'd strongly suggest you get the Navionics chips for it as well, they're well worth the $150 a piece price tag for the Premium chips (the only ones that the Elite 5 can use).