Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is the best oil????????????

Which is the best oil????????????

O.K. people which way do you go ?????? Name brand oil ( 1 gallon)for the injectors is $25.00 - $30.00 (ball park) Fleet Farm has a 1 gal
    jug of RESOLUTE for $7.99 what gives???

Wally

RE: Which is the best oil????????????

Been using the cheap (Super Tec) from Wal-Mart for the past few years, no problems, it meets or exceeds NMMA standards.
    Tom

i think a lot depends on your motor. when i used to run a Merc 150 XR2 it really didn't matter as long as it was TC-W3 and it ran fine.

After i had a 1997 150 Ficht blow up out of warranty i was warned against using anythingt but what was recommended by the manufacturer. When i replaced the OMC Johnson with a Bombarier Evinrude 175 Ficht the dealer was pretty specific which oil to use and to also keep watching to see if they made any recommendation changes. they've one or two changes over the past 7 yrs i've had the motor. Am i wasting $$$ maybe, but after the first one blew i figured i'd follow all manufacture recommendations in case i ever had any issues. i'm currently running XD50 synthetic per their recommendation.

rnovak

Agree with Jack if it meets the industries standards and your engine's specs. The cost is not going to be the issue if you have a failure.

Reminds me of a snowmobile issue we had many years ago... the dealer sold and recommended Flash 401 synthetic oil, claiming we'd foul fewer plugs and get better protection.

We fouled plugs about every 4-5 hours of operation, and our sled was substantially slower than other identical sleds where the owners used Penzoil 2 stroke oil.

We finally began running a cheap oil recommended by friends of my dad who raced sleds, and what a difference! I think we picked up close to 10 MPH and never fouled a plug on that sled again.

Dealers generally recommend what they make the most money on... which may also be what they believe is best, but don't count on it!

Oh, and by the way, I do use Mobil 1 synthetic in my trucks for the past 15 years, so it's not that I don't like synthetics.

It's been suggested I not use in my Honda outboard, so don't use it there, but am suspicious as to why, though I've found some threads that say manufacturers don't recommend it due to the additional cost. (I pay as much or more for Honda 10W-30 conventional oil at the local dealer as I do for Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart!)

Here's what Honda says:

"Honda engines are developed, tested, and certified with petroleum based motor oils as a lubricant. Any motor oil used in our engines must meet all oil requirements as stated in the owner’s manual to include the recommended oil change intervals."

I wouldn't use it in a used motor which has been using conventional motor oil, as I once had a friend who had a Subaru which had used Penzoil, then he switched to Mobil 1, with the engine beginning excessive oil burning on that oil change. I'd go with synthetic on a new motor for the 1st oil change and stick with it after that.

hey wally, at wally world they have a gallon of penzoil synthetic blend extended life formula for 13 bucks a gallon, i have no problem with and use it in all my stuff chain saw, blowers weed wacker..
    when i worked at the marina one of the oil reps told us for the most part all 2 stroke oil is the same except for color additives and other cleaners. Once you get past the warranty period he said it dont matter what oil you use, the reason for the color of the oils is to tell what brand it was and if you had a problem they could deny you because you didnt use "their" oil. thats it plain and simple!!!

Hey Todd, when I rigged boats for a living when they first came out with fichts they had alot of problems with them blowing up as you say, most of that was due to computer problems and not the oils, you say they changed oil reccomendations twice in 7 years, ok I`m sure they are different "formulas" for them yet you say the motor is fine, if it was the oil the first time why then did they change oil recommedations and have no problems!!?? Just a thought...

When you cut a hook on a lure do you replace it with the cheapest hook you can find?

When you buy a new musky rod/reel do you look for the cheapest one in the bargain bin at the dollar store?

When you bought the outboard motor was it the cheapest one you could find at a rummage sale? Probably not.

I look at my outboard as an investment in my fishing pleasure that has to last for at least a dozen years, and probably more. So my thinking is put the best oil in it that you can, the oil the manufacturer recommended. They sure wouldn't recommend putting in oil that would lead to warrantee claims, would they?

How much oil do you use a year? I burn 3 gallons of XD100, maybe. At $35 a gallon bulk from the dealer, that would be about $84 (what's that, 3 and a half lures?)more a year than running the cheapest oil I could find. I put a $16,000 outboard on the back of the boat and now I'm going to save $84 a year on oil? No. Don't think so. On the other hand, if I ran an older motor that burned oil like it was free, I'd surely use the cheapest oil I could buy. It probably is a function of what your equipment is worth vs. the cost of oil.

The only oil I use that is expensive is amsoil synthetic in my ducati. Otherwise cheap oils go into everything else I own. As far as 2 stroke oil goes, I use phillips injex at $8 per gal.

Remember 1 thing about your choice of 2-cycle oil - it's the only lubrication that motor is going to get. Use the best you can afford.

I ran Blue Marble for years in a couple outboards with great results. So did many of my friends in this neck of the woods. Changes withing the company made me swith. My choice was Amzoil and have used it for 3 summers with no regrets. Very clean burning. Motor starts and runs great.
    In an after tournament raffle I won a gallon of Merc oil. I dumped it in the reservoir with the Amzoil. Within an hour of running, my Merc Trophy prop(partially over the hub exhaust)started showing a lot of black soot. My motor also starts harder and does not idle as smoothly. I'll be glad when it's all burned up. Never had any soot on the prop before and yes, my plugs are new.