Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Northwoods Wisconsin Good Ole Days

Northwoods Wisconsin Good Ole Days

... a tangent on another post with some comments made by marty and jollyroger made me think of this as a subject that might get legs and then might not.

talk of Bosakis, The Lakeside Motel (remember the day they tore it down), the Kennedy's guiding service etc... what places or things are memories that you have of the Northwoods of Wisconsin and which ones are you still able to share with your kids/grandkids today. would be great if anyone had some pictures to share!! and if you are interested in this stuff i'm sure you know the pictures are lined up at Savemore ... if-not, you gotto go in there and have a look sometime.

it seems ironic that that both the icon of the area's history (Bosaki's) and it's future (The Waters) are both under foreclosure and in short-sell situations by lienholders.

RE: Northwoods Wisconsin Good Ole Days

Not exactly The North Woods but close:
    Also gone! How old is the pic? well there's a .04 cent stamp on the post card.
    The guy that can't count to five is me, or maybe the limit was 10 in those days, makes me three short.
    Tom

http://www.muskyhunter.com/forum/user_files/921.jpg

A bit off topic but driving up and down Hwy 51 in Minocqua and Woodruff...I can't believe how many businesses have closed up!

I hope like heck that Rollie & Helen's is there for my grandkids! :-)

>A bit off topic but driving up and down Hwy 51 in Minocqua
    >and Woodruff...I can't believe how many businesses have closed
    >up!
    >
    >I hope like heck that Rollie & Helen's is there for my
    >grandkids! :-)

Jim .. used to be they were all for sale by local knowledge, now the signs show it. with the exception of Rollie and Helen's and maybe MotoMart and one or two others ... every business on both sides of the road are for sale coming into town. look next time you drive through, it's odd.

short-sales or final auctions on for bosaki's, the waters and the auto restoration place on the left before you get into hazelhurst.

I have a color photo of the last fish I killed (1976) hanging from the hook on the balance beam scale that was on the wall outside Bennett's Sporting Goods (across the street from what's still Kurt's Island Sport Shop. I was a strapping 6'1", 195 lb terror to behold back then. (now 2 inches shorter and 40 pounds heavier)I am going to see if I can get it into a form that I can post. They even put the picture in the Lakeland Times and kept the fish on ice in a glass topped box they kept for the braggards. Kurt's had the same box outside their store ( mostly used for fish over 40") and most of the anglers would stop by in the evening to look in both boxes to see what was caught that day. It was barbaric, but that's how it was. Had I been a better stick back then, I would have more dead fish to regret.

The Wildwood grocery store in Pelican Lake had a fish box and so did a sport store in Rhinelander. It was always a must to stop and see what was in there no matter what time of night it was. The Clairidge Motor Lodge in Rhinelander had/has a fountain type pond with Rainbow trout that you could feed pellets to. Other places that are gone that were traditional stops were the Gotcha Muskie Cabin and Tadpole Tommy's in Woodruff. Aqualand is long gone, but is Jim Peck's still open? Kaminski's D-Bar-D Resort was an annual trip for their Muskie Rodeo. WAEO TV Channel 12 Rhinelander with Ron Roberts for Sedlak in Minocqua...Home of Money Saving Deals. Andy Andel goes Safari Fishing. Durkee's Backyard Barbeque with Jim Ford the Spice and Olive King!

Talking of "Fish Boxes" Kelly Browns Sportsman's Spot in Phelps used to have one.Kelly's dead, and the Sportsman's Spot is gone. I had a nice fish in the box and came to town to pick it up, and found some guy posing for pictures with my fish,he had told Kelly that he caught one the same size and never got a picture(Ya Sure)A couple of years later I heard that he got a 42# fish, I hope he got pictures of that one. Tom

Denton's in Conover had the "box" too! We used to buy gas next door, hit the smallest Red Owl store I ever saw, the old brown building (I think it's a pre-school now), and look at what Denton's had in the freezer. Eat at the old diner. This was before the Log Cabin even turned into a hot spot. The Burnt Bridge was the place for 30 cent PBR taps and Tombstone pizza. It was still just a little hole in the wall back then. I remember it well! :-)

>came to town to pick it up, and found some guy posing for
    >pictures with my fish,

Tom, you know you always catch the most photogenic fishys!! Tom don't catch no ugly fish.:D :D :D :D

Do I see a world record on that post card???? ;)