Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Northwoods Wisconsin Good Ole Days

RE: Northwoods Wisconsin Good Ole Days

I remember as a kid getting out of the car after a 6 hour drive to Hayward, and almost getting knocked on my arsh from the overhwelming smell of the northwoods.

I remember like it was yesterday, getting up in the morning and leaving the old musty smell of the rental cottage and getting nailed with the fantastic smell of the northwoods as the beat up screen door slammed shut behind me.

I think I must be getting used to that smell now that I frequent the northwoods much more because I don't notice it. ...but I miss it. I find myself trying to find it now when I wake up in the morning and let the stupid dog out.

The movie great outdoors cracks me up as I realize many of us have lived that exact same script. My grandpa was chasing bats in the cabin with a fishing net long before anyone ever heard of John Candy and most of us have stories of checking out the bears at the dump!

I was lucky enough to grow up on the Chippewa Flowage near Hayward, WI. So I have lots of memories of the area, but my favorite memory was heading to Herman's Landing with my folks on Friday nights during the summer, and being around a lot of great people, listening to the guides talk about their great catches, and checking out the famous "Musky Chart" to see who's name is on the chart and hoping one day to catch a musky so my name would be on the list with so many great musky fisherman who fished the Chippewa Flowage.

Mike Dorazio

>I was lucky enough to grow up on the Chippewa Flowage near
    >Hayward, WI. So I have lots of memories of the area, but my
    >favorite memory was heading to Herman's Landing with my folks
    >on Friday nights during the summer, and being around a lot of
    >great people, listening to the guides talk about their great
    >catches, and checking out the famous "Musky Chart"
    >to see who's name is on the chart and hoping one day to catch
    >a musky so my name would be on the list with so many great
    >musky fisherman who fished the Chippewa Flowage.
    >
    >Mike Dorazio

Yep, and when Mike got bigger he would pick up his dad, Dave, so he could read the musky chart, too. :P

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

This thread has my vote for the best thread ever on any fishing site!

I think most of us are trying, or wish we could create the same memories for our children. I know I am, but am failing because it takes so dang much money to go on vacation nowadays.

Much has changed in the world since these memories occurred.

(posted by Ifishskis "Sr.")

I remember going up to N. twin in the mid 80's where my uncle had a house. No one in my family really fished, but they would talk about these muskies. So one day we were bobber fishing and I asked "whats a musky". My uncles brother said " they're an angry fish that get as big as this boat." Well, I just looked over the side and clung on to my lifejacket with a bit of fear in my eyes. I was about 9-10 at the time. The next day I begged my dad to take me fishing, so he rowed me out into the middle of North twin. We sat there for about a half hour and I had a crab tail hanging over the side of the boat. Suddenly a huge back appeared out of the water right next to my line. It swooshed for a second and then it was gone. My dad never saw it and probably thought I was imagining this when I told him. It was the largest thing I'd ever seen in the water and although I didn't know it at the time, I'd just seen my first musky. My heart was pounding so hard when that happened, I felt weak and kind of sick. I thought that whatever it was it's going to eat my crabtail.
    After that I knew that I wanted to catch a musky, but I never had the chance until I was an adult. I caught my first musky in 2001 and that was the first time since the episode at N. Twin that I had the heartpounding sick feeling.
    So many good memories from up there. Also going to Land O lakes to see the Record tiger. Dad and Uncle flippin me and my cousin quarters for pinball at the "Rusty Nail", or "church" as they would call it. Good times. Great thread.

Anyone remember Bud's Beer Bar in Minocqua? What was the name of the place where the Thirsty Whale is or was? Moscow Mule was the drink and there was hundreds of dollars with names on them on the ceiling.

I started fishing with my Dad when I was 6 years old, just he and I went up to Cumberland to fish BeaverDam and Sand Lake. The resort is long gone,Idlewild on the west end of the lake. In 1971 started staying on the Chippewa Flowage and on the drive up there my dad had to stop at McGuires bar on the river were it crosses Highway B, next to Chip-A-Flow lodge. He always had a beer with old man McGuire before we got to the resort. We always stayed at Herman's Landing and knew Russ and Betty and Rocky and Merideth very well. In the late '80s my Mom and Dad had a trailer at Lake Chippewa Campground. I came to know Don Robinson, who owns the campgrounds, in the late '70s when my wie and I camped there. Loved the old Herman's Landing and happy hour when all the guides would come in to have a cold one before they headed home for the evening.

I remember Bruce Tasker many times bringing a large musky right into the bar late at night at Herman's, Boy those were the days!

Well, this is not from the 50's or 60's, but something we don't see anymore. My first time in the Winter, WI area, we stopped at a place called the Winter Motel. Nothing to write home about, 5 small cabins off of 70, no pool, dining room, or lounge. Owned by a 83 year old woman, each cabin had a bath/shower, 2 small beds and a black/white tv..no cable. Not having a alarm clock in the room, she would ask you what time is wake-up the next morning, and promptly bang on your door at said time! The best part was the price: 7 bucks a guy per night, including tax! Great place for hunting/fisherman to stay. I think she passed away in the late 90's...What a place!
    Get the net Henry, she's a big one!

A friend of mine once let me know that they reserved all the rooms at the Radison up north. I was impressed. Then he told me it was in Radison, Wisconsin and that the motel had 2 rooms.

>A friend of mine once let me know that they reserved all the
    >rooms at the Radison up north. I was impressed. Then he told
    >me it was in Radison, Wisconsin and that the motel had 2
    >rooms

Now thats funny!:+