Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference between Ranger 619 and 620 ?

Difference between Ranger 619 and 620 ?

Hi:

Is the 620 just foot longer or are there any other major differences?

Also, assuming a 619 and a 620 had the same exact motor, how much more would you expect to pay for a used 620 over a used 619?

Is there a big difference in the smoothness of the ride between the two?

Thanks - Midge

RE: Difference between Ranger 619 and 620 ?

Hi Midge:

Statistical differences: The 620 is 9 inches longer (20-3 vs. 19-6), same width (97 1/2"), 190 pounds heavier (2,165 vs. 1,975) and will take 25 hp more (250 vs. 225).

From the consoles forward, the layout and size are identical. The 620 is bigger in the cockpit, from the consoles to the stern. The storage hatches immediately behind the driver's and port side passenger's seats are larger in the 620 than the 619 because of this.

I'm primarily a caster, so I get a 619 every year because it will safely get me into and out of waves I can't comfortably stand to cast in. I usually fish two, sometimes three, people in my boat. If I'm filming, it's just two people and the camera guy at most. If I trolled more, a 620 would be a better choice because of the larger cockpit. There would just be more room to work.

I'm not speaking for Jim Saric, but he trolls much more than I and often has three people fishing from his boat plus a camera guy, so a larger platform makes sense.

I fish all or parts of 80-100 days/year out of a 619, so I'm pretty familiar with how they fish. I've also spent a few weeks in a 620 and have not seen boat control to be any different.

Regarding your price question, most guys go with a maxed-out outboard, so most used 620s will have a 250 and most 619s will have a 225. From experience, the used 620s sell for about $4,000-$6,000 more than a (relatively) comparable used 619.

Regarding smoothness of ride, I haven't noticed any difference. There is, however, a huge difference in ride between the 2007-and-newer 619s vs. the 2006-and-older 619s. The redesign greatly improved fishability, rod box storage, and ride.

For more specs or other details, visit http://www.rangerboats.com/seriesMul...ies.cfm#gid=35

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thanks Steve!

Funny that you mentioned the 2006 versus 2007.

I was looking at both a used 2006 619 and 620.

So if I have the option and my business partner is actually the one spending the money on the boat, I will look for 2007's or newer =o)

I think it's pretty darn simple, if you want to be more like Steve, you should get a 619, and if you want to be more like Jim, get the 620. It's just like wearing a player's jersey at a ball game, sort of like when we used to wear #4 shirts up at Lambeau. Actually, I'm going to sell my 619 at the end of this season and get a 620 or 621 because I didn't like Crash Mullins blowing by me down in Kentucky with his new 621/300 HP Verado......like I was standing still....who do those red-necks think they are anyway?

Hey Marty ... if it was that simple, I would be running a Lund like my idol Fenner !!!

Ahahahaahahahahahaha

Steve
    Is it true that the 2007 and newer are a "faster" hull? I'm not so much worried about the speed as I am about the gas mileage. With a faster hull, the gas mileage would be better on the week long trips on bigger water since the boat is usually doing two things, either running on plane from one spot to the other or using the trolling motor working a spot. I heard the 2006 and older hulls are a little slower and plow a little more making for lower gas mileage. Any thoughts?

Jeff

Midge: You have a PM.

Jeff: I don't know about faster. They all seem to go about 58 mph loaded (GPS speed), though the hole shot is slightly better. Gas consumption according to my Merc Smartcraft gauge is comparable.

The differences in the newer 619 hulls are that they sit a little lower in the water, so they're less affected by wind and your boat control is easier, and they're smoother in quartering waves. The 2006-and-older hulls tended to bounce the driver around in a wave coming into the starboard side, or the passenger in waves quartering into the port side.

The rod box improvement on the new 619s is enormous. Previously, once you had your bow light, paddle and measure stick in the rod box you had room for five musky rods/reels, with a couple tubes accepting 8-footers. Now, I can get up to 10 musky rods/reels to 8 1/2 feet long.

The new rod box by itself allows only 8-foot rods. However, I remove the bow access panel and cut the ends off the upper tier of rod tubes. There is about 9-10 inches of space between the end of the tubes and the boat's inner hull. With the ends of the tubes cut, an 8-6 will fit in the rod box with about two inches of its tip top hanging out of the tubes (in space). I haven't tried a 9-footer in the modified rod box but will so this summer ... it will be close to fitting.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

You know I took off that front panel, I had the saw in my hands, I looked at the end of the tubes with all that goooey-gummmy stuff in there and then assessed the rat's nest of wires up in front and imagined my rod tip good and stuck, and the fact that I already have too many sonar problems with my Lowrance without pushing and pulling the lead wires around.....and you know what I decided? I decided that if Jim Saric doesn't need to use a rod locker--neither do I.

>You know I took off that front panel, I had the saw in my
    >hands, I looked at the end of the tubes with all that
    >goooey-gummmy stuff in there and then assessed the rat's nest
    >of wires up in front and imagined my rod tip good and stuck,
    >and the fact that I already have too many sonar problems with
    >my Lowrance without pushing and pulling the lead wires
    >around.....and you know what I decided? I decided that if Jim
    >Saric doesn't need to use a rod locker--neither do I.

Marty, Marty, Marty ...

The "goooey-gummmy" stuff is dried foam flotation. The rod tube ends stick out of it. You don't need to concern yourself with the flotation.

Your access panel is connected via a plug to the wiring harness. Disconnect it, and set the panel aside.

Your bow light/horn assembly has a positive and negative lead coming from the wiring harness. Disconnect these leads, and remove the light/horn assembly by removing the screws and pulling it straight up.

Tuck the wiring harness up under the gunnel and now there's nothing in the way. It takes but minutes to cut the ends off the tubes. Reassemble.

Re: your Lowrance or your obsession with Jim, sorry, but I can't help you with those issues.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I guess he sure told me