Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Ring Free? Stabil Marine? Sea Foam?

Yamaha Ring Free? Stabil Marine? Sea Foam?

I have a Yamaha 80 four stroke and have used Sea Foam for years.

I was talking to someone that told me I should be using Yamaha brand "Ring Free."

Then I have also recently noticed the ads for Stabil Marine product.

What do you guys use and what would you recommend?

Thanks - Midge

St. Louis Marco Island Nest, Missouri Florida, USA Canada.

RE: Yamaha Ring Free? Stabil Marine? Sea Foam?

I have always been a fan of Ring Free and SeaFoam. I had a 1998 Ficht 150 that blew a head at 100 hours. After the head was replaced under warranty I used Ring Free with each tank of gas and put another 1200 hours on the engine without even a hiccup. I sold the boat and motor and it's still running strong. Ring Free fights outboard engine's biggest foe....carbon deposits. SeaFoam is also really good for fighting carbon. Either of these products will go a long way to keeping your engine running strong for many years.
    Semper Fi
    Bob Pieske

SeaFoam

I run a 2000 80 HP Yamaha four stroke.

Used some ring free but not in the past few years.

Use sea foam 2- 3 times a year, especially in the fall.

Always use Stabil Marine ethanol treatment and ethanol free 91 octane gas.

Motor is still running like new and it gets used almost every day.

i was using the shell ethanol-free and now going the cheap with the stabil product.

wish there was an absolute answer out there, but i figure that if stabil really does work then it's best to use the 87 or 89 octane and treat the condensate.

question ... i'm assuming the ring-free and seafoam are "different" than the stabil in what they do, can or should you put both in at the same time?

i'd rather add the stabil than chase down gas-stations.

I have a 100 Yamaha 4stroke that had a clogged carb once. The dealer fixed it for free and then told me to use ring free every fill up. I have used it and had no problems for 7 years. My friend has my old boat with a 1986 40 HP Yamaha. It start sticking/skipping a bit and I put ring free in it at a more concentrated level and it cleared right up. He uses it all the time now.

I think fuel stabilizers in every tank, or at least whenever the gas could get stale, are the key to eliminating problems.

I like the anecdotal stuff, but I think your ring free story about your clogged carb is coincidental. Ring free is for rings, no? Or is it also a fuel stabilizer, detergent, cure for cancer and fountain of youth silver bullet that sea foam claims to be?

Dunno. Maybe I'm talking out my bung here.

The way I get it, Ring Free does a separate thing for you, than Stabil Marine and SeaFoam do. Kinda what my manual says anyway. It talks about Ring Free in reference to rings.

Anyway, I sure wish I knew what the exact ingredient it was in ring free that keeps the rings free. I'm satisfied with the lack of problems I've had with sea foam. Be nice to know if sea foam is also doing what ring free claims to.

I run 10% alcohol in my 2001 Silverado. Have no choice, really. 178k miles worth so far. LOTS more alcohol has run through that thing than my '02 Yamaha outboard. They're both car engines, essentially. Why does everybody claim that alcohol is so bad for your outboard when my truck has logged enough miles to circle the globe 7x. My truck runs every day.

Is it the lack of daily use and the sitting around time that is the difference? Sure seems so. Letting an engine sit, any engine, is the worst thing. They'll last longer running than sitting most of the time.

I have a 04 200hp Yamaha I use Stabil and Ring Free all the time have never had a problem...The mechanic who winterizes it says to keep doing it.
    Wally

I had my Yamaha mechanic tell me last fall to stop using Sea Foam (I've been using it in every tank since I bought it in 2002) and use Stabil instead. He explained why. Unfortunately I can't remember the reasons anymore. But it all pointed to Stabil being better for your motor (and cheaper too) and Sea Foam not doing everything that it claims to do. He also suggested using Ring Free.

Aaron
    For the best prices and quickest shipping visit Musky Tackle Online!
    http://www.muskytackleonline.com

BRP (Johnson / Evinrude), Mercury and Yamaha claim that all their outboards manufactured in the last 20 years (starting in early 90's for all 3 manufacturers) should run just fine on gas containing up to 10% ethanol and it will not void the warranty.

I have a 2001 2 stroke Johnson 90HP and have always run stabil (and more recently the new marine formula stabil) through every tankful and have never had any problems with the motor. I have always run ethanol blend gas through that motor.

As I understand it the problems are not associated with the motors themselves, but with other components like fuel tanks and fuel lines, which may deteriorate when in prolonged contact with ethanol depending on what they are made of and when and where they were made. For example, some older rubber gaskets and seals are susceptible to ethanol breakdown, as are some older built in fuel tanks made of fiberglass as well as some types of rubber fuel line. The components break down and then the compounds get in the gas and therefore into engine and can cause serious damage. The damage is not directly caused by ethanol gas running through the engine, but by the breakdown of other non engine components in contact with ethanol which make their way into the engine.

The outboard engine manufacturers have no control over what type of fuel tank, fuel line and other components the various boat manufacturers or dealers pair with their outboards. Auto manufacturers do as they build and assemble all those components themselves or under their direct control. That's why there aren't problems with vehicles like there are with outboards.