Thread: Trolling tips

BOBALOO

Trolling tips

I would like to do more trolling than I have in the past, However I would like to learn more i.e. short line trolling, trolling planner boards, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions of publications or videos that would be helpful. Could use some help with this. Thanks !
    Bobaloo

RE: Trolling tips

not sure how much help I can be here, but when I troll I always focus on the top 10 feet of water. I run normally 6 boards and try to get each of the six baits at a different depth within that range. It is not necessary to run each bait at a different depth, but maintain some sort of variety until you locate a depth that seems to be working best. Also I like to change size, and color quite a bit until something gets a hit. I can not help you with depths and line ratios as each bait is different you will need to figure that out on your own. Speed is also an important factor, because the only trolling I do is in the mid to late fall I always troll at about 3.2mph to 2.2mph. You will also need to guess at this and work different speeds until you find something that works. I never do enough trolling to ever figure out any patterns, so each time I hit the water I have to guess. Use your instincts and hopefully you will hit the payload!

Go to the Musky Hunter fall school in Hayward.

Much depends on you are I suppose. I usually won't troll there unless I see bait balloons nearby on sonar. Like SBoulden post, I often will make multiple passes on a good area with different style/depth lures, boat-over-depth to find them. As with casting, some days it seems like changing direction of travel can trip them.

I think there is a trolling segment in the In-Fish "secrets of the masters" video, also in Mssrs. Saric and Heiting's "The Complete Guide..." book.

whats the best planner board for musky baits.I have the off shore planer boards and i've even replaced the clamps on them to extra strong and the baits still pop off baits like(10in jakes and depth raiders) runing at 3 mph.

Put a loop in your line,Hook board to loop.