Thread: '03 90 HP Yamaha Four Stroke Opinions please!

'03 90 HP Yamaha Four Stroke Opinions please!

I'm looking at changing rigs. The rig I'm looking at has a 90 HP Yammie 4 stroke. I was just wondering what luck any owners of these has had. Under normal use would this age of four stroke be ready for any major overhaul? You here all the hype in ads but I hope to get some input from someone who has owned or owns one! This has been checked out by the dealer, which is where bought my rig, and they have treated me well. They also said they would warranty it for 30 days.

Thanks for any help you can give!!
    Buddy Ellenburg

Take a Kid fishing they'll have a Lifetime of Memories!!

RE: '03 90 HP Yamaha Four Stroke Opinions please!

i have a 04 ,have got a ton of hours on it as i guide in canada with it,have just done oil changes every 100 hours sometimes i have let it go a little longer.i do 60 hrs a week with it and use it it for walleye back trolling a lot,when i guide for muskies i use my electric,but i think i have close to 2000 hrs. on it,so i don,t think you have anything to worry about,if its been taken care of.

I'm an etec guy but my friend in FLA has a 90 Yamaha, it is a really nice mtor. He fishes every day, and makes a lot of long runs. No problems at all. Not the fastest out of the hole, but extremely smooth, and fairly efficient too.

I have a 2002 Yamaha 100 4 stroke that became the 90 in 2003. I love it. I haven't had one complaint. I change the oil once or twice a year and winterize it. I also add a little Yamaha Ring Free on every fillup. The lower unit is 2006 due to a high speed encounter with a rock reef.

Thanks guys that's the info exactly I needed. I'm looking at moving to a '03 Lowe FM 170 WT w/90 hp 4st. Yammie. I currently am still ruuning a '04 Lowe 180 Stinger with an '05 Johnson 150 2st, I love this rig it hot and fishes well, but my 4yr old son scares me running around on the high deck! and lure storage is becoming a problem, or lack of floor space actually. The 170 FM is also a little familier friendly. I'm looking for a buyer for my rig or a lateral transfer of boats with my dealer, which is where I bought my rig. I hope it works out I think I will enjoy it a little better than my current set up. I'm not really going to miss the extra horsepower I spend more time actually fishing now! I just finished this winters gas, I've been out every weekend since the second weekend in March! Any other info is greatly appreciated!
    Buddy Ellenburg

Take a Kid fishing they'll have a Lifetime of Memories!!

I have an 04' and an 05' 115 Yamaha which is basically the same motor and I can't say nothing but good things about both of them. They both have way more hours on them than most people would put on in 10 years. Other than regular maintainance and a few minor adjustments here and there, they have performed well for me.

"Ace" :P