Thread: Lower Manitou Lake Maps and Fishing Advice

Lower Manitou Lake Maps and Fishing Advice

I am going to be fishing the Lower Manitou in July. Anyone have any fishing advice for muskies and small mouth?
    Does anyone know where I can get a lake map?
    Thanks

Lower Manitou Lake Maps and Fishing Advice

I am going to be fishing the Lower Manitou in July. Anyone have any fishing advice for muskies and small mouth?
    Does anyone know where I can get a lake map?
    Thanks

RE: Lower Manitou Lake Maps and Fishing Advice

I've fished that water before. I had heard that rainy lake sports has a decent map. I bought a gps and the navionics chip for canada. That was they way to go.

I've fished that water before. I had heard that rainy lake sports has a decent map. I bought a gps and the navionics chip for canada. That was they way to go.

Check out fishingminnesota.com under the section "Canada" and ask this same question, you'll get some good stuff...

Check out fishingminnesota.com under the section "Canada" and ask this same question, you'll get some good stuff...

Wayne,

Shoot me an email...I can help you out...Too much to type for me now..

hammerintravtime@yahoo.com

I work because I HAVE to....I Fish because I MUST!

Wayne,

Shoot me an email...I can help you out...Too much to type for me now..

hammerintravtime@yahoo.com

I work because I HAVE to....I Fish because I MUST!

I've been to the Lower Manitou about a dozen times, staying at Barker Bay Resort and Outposts.

There is a mapping chip I bought the chip but I'm not sure how good it is. Mine is Navionics Hotmaps Premium CanadaSDPREM-C3 VO1.18 it is the 2007 chip and the new ones have more Canadian lakes on them and a better map of LOTW, I think. List now is $149, I think I got it for $119 as an outdated 2007 chip. Ted (former owner of Barker Bay, and a Manitou legend) spent a month with them mapping the Upper Manitou, and he says it is really accurate there. Barker Bay and Lower Manitou are possibly not so good. For example the 3' reef between the camp and the northernmost bay is 30' on my chip. So, I think they did a lot of guessing. Maybe they used that old paper map, with numbers from the mining days.

You have to go into menus to use the chip on a Lawrance, as there is more information on the chip than the Lawrance unit can display at one time. I think Pat Smith or Brett Erickson at Thorne's would know if the new chip is a lot better.

There is a paper map floating around that I made using old mining company maps. It is OK for finding Lake Trout holes, but not very useful for muskie fishing.

Greg Ide
    (if you think reading maps gives you eyestrain, try making one)

Quote Originally Posted by The dock is in View Post
    I've been to the Lower Manitou about a dozen times, staying at Barker Bay Resort and Outposts.

There is a mapping chip I bought the chip but I'm not sure how good it is. Mine is Navionics Hotmaps Premium CanadaSDPREM-C3 VO1.18 it is the 2007 chip and the new ones have more Map Lakes South Carolina on them and a better map of LOTW, I think. List now is $149, I think I got it for $119 as an outdated 2007 chip. Ted (former owner of Barker Bay, and a Manitou legend) spent a month with them mapping the Upper Manitou, and he says it is really accurate there. Barker Bay and Lower Manitou are possibly not so good. For example the 3' reef between the camp and the northernmost bay is 30' on my chip. So, I think they did a lot of guessing. Maybe they used that old paper map, with numbers from the mining days.

You have to go into menus to use the chip on a Lawrance, as there is more information on the chip than the Lawrance unit can display at one time. I think Pat Smith or Brett Erickson at Thorne's would know if the new chip is a lot better.

There is a paper map floating around that I made using old mining company maps. It is OK for finding Lake Trout holes, but not very useful for muskie fishing.

Greg Ide
    (if you think reading maps gives you eyestrain, try making one)

I'm new to fishing and haven't yet used mapping chips. I will use them whenever I go to fishing next time, any advice would be appreciated.