Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vermillion ghosts...........................................

Vermillion ghosts...........................................

What has happened to the musky on Vermillion?? They are still thier enmasse but they will not bite. OVER and OVER and OVER they would come to the boat follow the figure 8 into the first turn and then break off.

I have fished Vermillion for 5 summers now and I understand they are getting pressure unlike earlier times BUT the ratio of follows to hits is now just ridiculous compared to other waters I fish. I mean it has to be for every 25 fish seen you get one to hit and they NEVER hit away from the boat. They show up like ghosts at the boat and tease you and off they go. The option of hitting them late at night did not work for us either. Those girls have taken the "Flash Off" to a higher level than I have ever seen on other lakes I have fished across the midwest or Canada.

Taylor

RE: Vermillion ghosts...........................................

Also it was a 2 week period when some of the best national professional musky guides where on the lake and they were seeing the same things.

Up there couple weeks ago,,,two years ago I said never again even though I live here!!! but

Reported for duty

Sgt Trinnidad" we affectionately call him trinny"

Sgt Trinny-"Pvt Hooker front and center!!
    Pvt Hooker-"sir yes sir"
    Sgt Trinny "Boy Were gonna make a stik out of you yet"
    pvt Hooker-"sir yes sir"
    Sgt Trinny-"Boy have you got your High speed/hay combiner geared reel"
    Pvt Hooker-"sir yes sir"
    Sgt Trinny-"Boy have you got your tens"
    Pvt Hooker-'sir I have more shrapnel in my lakewood then you have in your leg"
    Sgt Trinny-"Open that foot locker Boy"
    Pvt Hooker-"sir yes sir"
    Sgt Trinny-"Whats that prop bait doin in there this aint the air corp!!!!!!!!!!
    Pvt Hooker-"Sir I thought I,,,,,"
    Sgt Trinny-"Boy Didnt you study the scouting report"
    Pvt Hooker- "I,,,,,"
    Sgt Trinny- "Boy Whats our purpose???
    Pvt Hooker-"to have,,,,"
    Sgt Trinny "To secure and obtain a photo of a captured large fish' all other priorities second",,are we CLEAR!!!!
    Pvt Hooker-'Sir the pvt has a question"
    Sgt Trinny-"Make it short I have hooks to sharpen along with men"
    Pvt Hooker-"Will there be time to have fun????
    Sgt Trinny-"WHAT DID I JUST HEAR COME OUT OF YER YAPPER!!!Now drop and give me twenty!! and after that your on double 13 duty and you'll use a 6500',,Now get out there and bring your night vision app-er-atus with ya.

"heave a double 10 into the blackness" wait for that window
    "heave a double 10 into the blackness" wait for that window
    'heave a double ten into the blackness" wait for a window
    "heave a double ten into the blackness behind the red and green lights in front of you that are behind the other red and green lights in front of them,,red and green ,,red and green,,red and green,,'looks like Macys xmas parade!!!

I now know how Soviet ship captains felt during the cuban missile crisis,,When we would near any reef or Island we didnt know if we should run the naval blockade and risk getting bombarded by shrapnel 10's or make a run for the high seas.

I dont think I want a picture that bad
    I dont think Im intrested in being a stik!!!
    I think I washed out of "stik" bootcamp
    I think if this is what musky fishing is turning into I'll go back to fly fishing

in any case catch a big one on V,,you earned/endured it.

We were havig similar results on another MN lake earlier this summer and it turned out burning bucktails got those following fish to eat. As soon as you would see the fish burn that thing as fast as your hand could burn it. Change of direction really seemed to piss them off too.

Did someone spike your Brett Favre Kool-Aide?

"Rodgers minus Favre, Just Packers Glory Baby!! ;)"

Mike

Effect of pressure and conditioning fish, still will eat but are going to become boat shy, 40-50 boat in big for full moon chucking every nite x number of muskies = lots of fish getting caught and released in the past years, the good ol day of V are gone with the pressure and sharing the action. Lot of nipper on 8's and would expect this pattern to continue, plus rising and falling water temps have not stabilised fish in northern mn and canada. ALmost hit 2 boats no lites sat nite coming in.

Troyz

Get use to it everywhere you go.

Short Strike

I have started downsizing considerably on vermilion, with a little bit more fortune... and I am talking throwing the double bladed northland bass busters with an added trailer hook and tossing the smaller Mepps Musky killers, even the lures that to me seem like better pike lures, such as a Dr. spoon in the silver and metallized blue color. once we have a lazy follow or one that just doesn't seem interested in a spinner, we always have a 10" suick on standby worked slowly to keep something in their face for an extended period of time, we tend to stray toward the darker colors...

ten-tion!

Vermilion assault unit sound off!!!!

1,2,3,4-'Throw those 10's ti'll ya cant take it no more'
    5,6,7,8-"Muskies inc records show its the no 1 producin 50incher bait!!
    9,10-'Reel em in,, throw em again!
    10,9-"Real men dont need a level wind!
    8,7,6-"Wont come back till we take a big fish pix !
    5,4- after a week of this I'll need an apointment with
    the Chiro-prac-tor!!
    3,2,1- "were on a mission this aint spose to be fun!!!

Taylor-good post,

Fished the V. from July 18-Aug 1 averaged about 10 hours a day. Did a full guide day with "Ace" (didn't see a fish all day but it was probably the best water sking day of the summer hot, sunny, calm).

My first time there and here are my thoughts. Absolutly beautiful lake! The area around Norwegian Bay, Square Rock Island are just as good as it gets for scenery in the US. Fished only the West end.
    The amount of good looking spots is unreal. Great weeds, rocks, reefs, shorlines, islands.

The vocabulary on the V. is a little diferent than in Northern WI where I have done all my Musky fishing. When people say I saw x number of fish on the V. that can often mean they simply looked down into the water and saw a fish laying there.

In my 2 weeks of fishing I saw 16 fish. Only one under 40 inches. 3-5 were definitly over 50-- the rest mid/upper 40s. The fish were thick/fat with WIDE backs and sholders.

One of the biggest fish followed a top water right to the boat but it was a lazy follow, low and slow. The most aggresive follow was buring a bucktail in the rain in a weedy area, nice fish mid forties.

The rest of the fish I saw were just laying there in the water. Have never experienced that anywhere else.

The weather those two weeks was terrible, one cold front after another, nights in the 40s, water temps in the 60s, no stable warm south wind weather.

The one warm muggy night, pre storm, a guy caught a 48 right near where I was fishing.

The first week the fishing preasure was real intesnse with at least one boat on every well known spot. The second week it was not nearly as bad.

Its easy to see why guys like to fish there. I met a really good fisherman, hard core, with a lot of big fish to his credit, fished with him a couple of times, he has fished there the last 6 years. He told me the biggest fish he has ever seen was on the V. and that is what keeps him coming back--enough said,

As for the follows etc... I agree it is frustrating to see fish and not get them to hit. But the last 5 years in WI it has been even worse in that I haven't see a really good fish since 05.

Until preasure dies back down it will be tougher to catch Musky's on the V or anywhere else for that matter.

I'll be back next year.