Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me about suicks?

Can someone tell me about suicks?

I have to admit, I have hardly thrown suicks at all. I own a few of them, but I can count on one hand how many times I've thrown them. My understanding is that they are best for over shallow to medium weeds, and deep water humps, but that's just from what I seem to read and hear.

What's some good ways to work them, slow long pulls or quick snaps of the rod tip? I'm kind of afraid to throw them because I hear they can be a poor hooking lure. I know there are some real suick disciples on here, and I'd appreciate some general information.

RE: Can someone tell me about suicks?

Suicks are pretty versatile. I prefer the weighted models. But the unweighted can be great in the weeds as it rides high and is a lot more bouyant. Where gliders can be used with short taps of the rod, Suicks are better with longer pulls. Long slow pulls or really ripping it hard can be good as well. Change it up during your retrieve to trigger more strikes. You can play with the tail as well to give it a different action.

Aaron
    For the best prices and quickest shipping visit Musky Tackle Online!
    http://www.muskytackleonline.com

GruntLures

Great bait. One of the top five musky/pike lures of all time IMO. They can be worked about any way you can think of. I like th eweighted ones myself. Jerk, long pause and jerk again. I bend the tail down a little and then give one of the corners a little more bend to give the Suick a side belly role with each jerk. Lures last a LONG time too. Very durable and well made.

James

I never had a problem with poor hooking.

I like the unweighted 10 inch model over shallow weeds, but the weighted is great if you want to run the bait down a few feet.

If a Suick contacts cabbage you give it some slack for a second, then restart your retrieve.

The bait raises and backs up when retrieved with a pause.

The unweighted 9 incher is really difficult to throw into wind, which is why I use the 10 incher.

The 12 incher (unweighted) seems a little bouyant, but throws even easier than the 10 incher because of the additional weight.

Never leave home without one!

One of the classic lures everybody should own one I like the weighted one myself!

Trainman

Natedog,

I'm no expert as I have only ever caught two muskies - however both of those fish came on the same 9" weighted suick. The guide I was out with when I caught my first Musky taught me to do short snaps while reeling in. Downward snaps in deeper areas and upward if you need to work high out of weeds. The suick I have does a little belly role when you snap it and the guide commented that it was a "good one." Caught my second musky on the same lure out by myself later that week. I guess the best way to describe what he showed me was if the rod was pointed parallel to the water is snap the tip of the rod straight down to near the water, reeling in the slack as you move the tip back up to parallel.

It worked for me to get my first two fish so it can't be too bad of a method!

I thought about writing Suick a letter and telling them they need to video a couple of their pro staff using the lure in different ways and post it on Youtube. Until my guide showed me what to do I really didn't understand how to make one dance.

F_ast

Like everyone else is say, never leave home without it. One of the best cold front lures I have ever used. Nice and slow, very methodical. I generally run it with long pulls and throw in an occasional twitch or two. Easy to throw all day. It is my to lure fore sure. I am a weighted fan. Usually throw the 9" weighted thriller, but have a 12" weighted that actually runs much better.

Probably caught a good 30 - 40% of all my fish.

Great bait. Despite all those hooks, it's virtually weedless.

Rip it through weeds, cabbage, pause, long pull, pause, rip, pause- WHACK.

They are fun as heck to fish.