PDA

View Full Version : Be careful where you do your bragging!

junkman
08-02-2009, 03:42 PM
So I'm waltzing into Leif's Cafe in Eagle River around 5:30 yesterday morning when one of five older gents sitting together at a big table says, "Hey, that's a nice looking boat young fella." Well, I was totally gracious with my thanks (especially being called a young fella at 59)when he asked if I had been catching any. Well, since he did the asking, I volunteered that I had caught a pretty decent fish the previous morning. "What do you mean by decent?" he asked, so I told him about 42-43 but that it was a meaty one close to 20 pounds. Well nobody at that table seemed to damned impressed, so I went about eating my bacon and eggs wondering what the heck they thought was a decent fish. Then the sixth older fella joins them bringing a badly creased and folded little picture of the "decent" fish he had caught the previous morning. It was totally ten inches longer and 20 pounds heavier than mine and seemed to be a whole lot more like what those guys figured was a decent fish. Yea, the sixth guy was Tom Gelb and the guys who eat with him are not about to be impressed with any kind of "low forties" snake. I won't get sucked in by that crowd again! Yipes!

Rick52
08-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Hey at that point I would have said "Oh that's a decent one too ..Now let's see a picture of your boat!"

pointerpride102
08-02-2009, 07:38 PM
You could ask who's fish is still alive? That might silence the crowd.

"Rodgers minus Favre, Just Packers Glory Baby!! ;)"

Mike

Timbrr
08-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Owww!!!

Gare
08-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I know the crowd you talk about and some of them ol boys ben fishin a long time. Some are pretty clicky there and for your own sake dont mention lake names there, everyone and there friends will be there in minutes!!
I`d take a low forties everyday and call it a nice fish. So enjoy the catch and dont worry what they say. Beside the majority of them boys all just sit in the diner all morn and reminese.Congrast, Gare

junkman
08-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Hey as long as you mentioned Sugar Camp, that's where the fish came out of. People who were sitting on their deck having breakfast saw me catch it and were nice enough to snap a picture. I hope the upload works. For me it's a really nice fish.

AWH
08-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Nice fish, young man!

Aaron

ESOXER
08-02-2009, 09:07 PM
I would venture a guess that Tom's fish from the previous morning was still alive also!

ESOXER
08-02-2009, 09:11 PM
I would venture a guess that they could have had any boat they wanted, I am very sure Mr. Kelb can.

Gare
08-02-2009, 09:48 PM
I can tell from the back ground where you caught it!!!!!! Nice fish , way to go. Gare

welldriller
08-02-2009, 10:07 PM
>You could ask who's fish is still alive? That might silence
>the crowd.
>
>"Rodgers minus Favre, Just Packers Glory Baby!! ;)"
>
>Mike

Wow, your kind of a ....... I can't think of a word that won't get my thread deleted.

REDCHAMP
08-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Nice fish Marty. Nice is in the eyes of the guy setting the hook. I'll call a 40's fish nice any day.

pointerpride102
08-03-2009, 12:30 AM
I've got nothing against Gelb and him keeping the fish. If you go back you can even read me defending his right to keep the fish. I was simply offering a way to silence the crowd. Just because someone speaks the truth, doesn't mean he follows it to a T.

I'd offer this to Mr. Gelb....if you catch another dandy and feel like keeping it, have at it! I'd hope you release it, but you have every right.

Andy yes, Gelb could own any boat he wants, probably 5 of them.

"Rodgers minus Favre, Just Packers Glory Baby!! ;)"

Mike

junkman
08-03-2009, 06:37 AM
Hey, just for the record, I was just trying to tell a little embarrassing story that I thought was funny. I don't doubt the statements Tom made about the fish that did not survive, and I also don't doubt that he would out-fish the crap out of me six days out of seven. He obviously has a technique for finding giants where most of the rest of us are still wishing.

row troller
08-03-2009, 02:44 PM
>I've got nothing against Gelb and him keeping the fish. If
>you go back you can even read me defending his right to keep
>the fish. I was simply offering a way to silence the crowd.
> Just because someone speaks the truth, doesn't mean he
>follows it to a T.
>
>I'd offer this to Mr. Gelb....if you catch another dandy and
>feel like keeping it, have at it! I'd hope you release it,
>but you have every right.
>
>
>Andy yes, Gelb could own any boat he wants, probably 5 of
>them.
>
>"Rodgers minus Favre, Just Packers Glory Baby!! ;)"
>
>Mike

the best part of all this is the fact you can offer anything you like to Tom Gelb as far as approval goes and he would really care less.

He's not out there looking to impress people or gain approval. He is out there to experience the thrill of catching these fish and we are all lucky that he shares what his research, data and time on the water have shown.

Oh by the way...Tom would have respected the low 40's fish and been intrested in the conditions that produced the catch...thats who he is.

FINADDICT
08-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Thanks for sharing your story with us Marty. (Really miss my annual migration to ER and mornings spent at Lief's before a day on the water)

Those old-timers, no matter thier choice of gathering place, are like "trail magic" to me. Round a campfire, local "watering hole",cafe`.... wherever found; are threads in the very fabric of our outdoors heritage. Soooo much to share as they come nearer the "end of the trail" and a lot of interesting ways of doing it. LOL

Thanks to you as well Row Troller, Mr. Gelb and a lot of those Ol' Boys gathered around just such tables all across our great land ARE NOT looking for a damned thing from us other than sharing a life's passion and experience as they enjoy LIVING each day they are gifted with. Your words are a much appreciated observation.

Sometimes an anecdotal tale is just that.

Enjoy,
Bob

Fishing is a living legacy ... lets work together in passing it on!
JOIN MUSKIES INC. .... THE FUTURE OF MUSKY FISHING DEPENDS ON YOU!