PDA

View Full Version : White Sand Lake Report?

Ryanm
08-17-2009, 05:42 PM
We are heading to White Sand Lake in Vilas County next week. It is the one in the LDF Res. It's a family trip but I will be able to sneak out a few times for some musky fishing.

Anybody been out there lately? Just looking for any helpful info. Also, anybody catch smallies out there?

Thanks

rnovak
08-18-2009, 07:13 AM
If you are talking about White Sand off of County D, i don't know of a lot of people who fish it because unless they improved their public launch its really hard to get a larger heavy boat into the lake.

With that said it doesn't get a lot of pressure either. In the past WSL has had a good reputation for producing some decent fish. Its a pretty clear lake so i would concentrate on fishing lower light periods, morning, night, cloudy days.

I haven't been on the lake in years, ok decades, but it used to have a nice deep weed line. You also have some nice points and mid lake structure to check out.

its a lake i'd like to fish, if the landing has been improved.

rnovak

Ryanm
08-18-2009, 07:51 AM
Thanks. I like most of that post. I am bringing my father-in-laws boat which is a little bigger fish and ski, with a bunk trailer. Hope that isn't a problem.

Is the water down in that area? Hope it's not as bad as it is here in the Twin Cities. I know the Hayward area isn't quite as bad.

rnovak
08-18-2009, 10:10 AM
all depends on the lake. i have been up on the flambeau chain several times this year and while the water is a little low its not bad. i know other lakes in the area are pretty low. no different than here in the cities - WBL is real low and Bald Eagle is fine. just depends on the lake and the watershed.

years ago the launch was pretty rough and you needed four-wheel drive to get in and out. like i said i haven't been on it in years, but i also don't recall hearing anyone say they improved it.

usually when i fish the reservation its the chain. if you think you might want to get over that way for a day give me a call or email me and i can tell you about the chain. its only 10-15 minutes down the road from WSL.

rnovak

richard.novak@rbc.com