PDA

View Full Version : Figure 8/Figure O

jackson3
08-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Hey guys was just wondering what everyone prefers here. I know some like the Figure 8 while others like the Figure O. I prefer the Figure O (actually a big oval). My personal belief is that the larger fish need a larger margin to turn so the Figure O seems to take that into account. Just seeing what everyone prefers. Thanks guys.

curleytail
08-10-2009, 10:50 PM
I haven't caught many fish in the figure 8, so keep that in mind, but I like to do 8s rather than Os. I just don't like it that when doing an O, you have to make one turn towards the boat. It feels like I'm off balance, and I don't like to have the fish looking at the boat during what I consider to be the spot the fish will hit.

It also seems like if the fish hit while turning into the boat, the hookset would be harder.

Saying all that, I think there's some pretty good fisherman that like to do Os, so I'm guessing it's mostly personal preference.

curleytail

jkahler
08-10-2009, 10:56 PM
I prefer the oval. Only have one fig O this year so far, a 39" that went around, left, then came back and ate a couple ovals later.

Fishboy19
08-10-2009, 11:01 PM
I like the 8, mix in a straight away once in a while once you get the fish excited.

muskie_nut
08-11-2009, 06:43 AM
8 or 0 doesn't matter. Just whichever one you do, do it right, deep, and big.

Breal31
08-11-2009, 07:43 AM
>8 or 0 doesn't matter. Just whichever one you do, do it
>right, deep, and big.

That's what she said!

Steve Heiting
08-11-2009, 07:54 AM
15 of 22 in the boat last week on fig-8's. Not an endorsement for an 8 over a 0 (I believe the one you choose is a matter of the situation), just an exclamation point for the fact you have to do something, and do it well, at the end of every cast.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Matt DV
08-11-2009, 10:39 AM
I agree with the poster who said that a potential disadvantage to the O is the fact that you are drawing the muskie in toward the boat when you come around the top of the O...whether that potentially has a negative affect likely is case-specific and depends on the circumstances of the individual fish.

Otherwise, I prefer an 8 because it gives you two excellent opportunities to trigger the fish with a fast straight-away and then slight pause at the top of each outside swing...Cory Painter wrote an excellent article in MH a couple years ago explaining this little trick and it has helped me refine my figure 8 skills and put some nice fish in the boat...

On the other hand, I think each angler needs to do what is best for them, the key being to do whatever helps you make the boatside manuever as smooth as possible...

MikeHulbert
08-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Not a fan of the "Figure O" myself, as you have to turn the fish towards the boat and you don't have the best position for a hook set if the fish eats on those turns towards the boat.

I get to see a lot of folks figure 8 big fish when I am out guiding, and the number one problem is they take their lure to far from one side to the next. It's way more important to make huge turns OUT from the boat and to keep the bait IN FRONT of the fish. Taking the lure to the extreme right will handcuff you and prevent you from making the FAR OUT turn you need. If your arms are out stretched as far as they can go and you haven't made the turn away from the boat yet...well your in trouble as you will have to make a quick turn, which will cross the fish's face. WIDE turns from the boat out, not from parallel to the boat is more important in my opinion.

trophymuskie
08-11-2009, 06:22 PM
OK I feel real stupid here, twice at least I've read that 0's are done towards the boat, well isn't the 8 made of two 0's? Or the same thing?

I find it hard to figure eight large fish so I do ovals and sometimes I may convert into an 8 if the fish follows a while and may need a little change. I'm also old school with short poles none of those 8 or 9 footers.

Keep releasing them all
Richard Collin
www.trophymuskiecharters.com

Gare
08-11-2009, 08:43 PM
i do a figure 9

welldriller
08-11-2009, 09:17 PM
I thought those were 6's.

chuckski
08-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Dosn't matter long as its deep and and you keep the lure moving, after a couple times around change your plane bring it up and it will eat!

coldfront
08-12-2009, 06:51 AM
I like the 8 do half of it deep and bring the other half of the 8 shallow. Sometimes I like to walk it around the bow then figure 8 again.

Matt DV
08-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Richard:

I try to do my 8's such that the bait is leading the fish away from the boat in a clockwise fashion on the first outward turn of the left-sided half-8 portion, then bringing the bait quickly toward the boat in the straightaway and into a counter-clockwise turn away from the boat on right-sided half-8 portion of the manuever.

Tough to explain it without diagramming it, but this way the bait is being led away from the boat (rather than in towards the boat) during top turns (top meaning furthest away from the angler) of the 8, which in my experience are the most likely occasions to trigger a strike.

Again, not sure if that makes sense or not, but Cory Painter's MH article from a couple years ago has diagrams which explain it quite well.

musky moblie
08-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I had a 52" in my boat on the 3rd figure 8 earlier this year so that ended any question in my mind about big fish not being able to make the turns.

That being said, I dont think it really matters that much either. I find myself doing more 8s just because i like having the rod moving away from the boat so i don't break it on a hookset. Although, late in the year i've found myself doing more 0s as I move the lure slower.

Musky Mobile
I came, I casted, I saw...nothing

whynot
08-12-2009, 11:54 AM
I hear what you guys are saying about it being a problem having fish eat coming towards the boat when the lure is coming at the boat, but really how often does that happen? Once the fish reaches the boat and is chasing in the oval they will rarely be in a position to hit a lure coming towards the boat from behind. Most often if the fish hits while the lure is coming towards the boat they t-bone it and you give them a face full of hooks.

That said I do both ovals and figure-8's, but I teach everyone in my boat the oval because it's easier for most people to do effectively.

trophymuskie
08-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks Matt, I still don't see the difference you are still doing two 0's to make an 8. I like to keep the turns to the left and right of my ovals and I also lower and rise on the turns as well depending on bait I can ad action on the staights. You have way more straight lines with the 0's and that's where I do my magic.

Keep releasing them all
Richard Collin
www.trophymuskiecharters.com

Esox Man
08-12-2009, 07:32 PM
How do you run your glider in the 8?