PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Rods?

Old School Musky
08-07-2009, 08:49 PM
My Spence Petros, med heavy rod busted in half while trying to retrieve a lure snagged on a stump.Not blaming the rod maker, but id say I was at the 65% mark when the rod snapped.Wanted to get the all purpose St Croix rod but was told by my favorite online tackle company it wasnt available til Oct.So I settled for a $120 Shimano rod that ive never held or seen.Picked it up today at the UPS terminal and its the lightest Musky rod ive ever held in my hand.Lifetime warranty and im looking forward to seeing how it reacts with a fish.2 Daughters, just finished college both passed the boards in nursing and cant find a job, so I had to go budget.I gotta a real good feeling this is a great rod for the $.Its a Heavy 7-6 fast that the reel fit in real snug which wasnt the case with the other.Time will tell anyone on here ever used a Shimano rod? O.S

Squad51
08-08-2009, 09:01 AM
I have a Compre 7'6" XH. Used it well for a couple years with no problems, now mostly used for slip float sucker dunking. Great value rod for sure.

Breal31
08-08-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm not here to bash products, but I'm also not here to lie...

I have broken 3 Shimano Compre 8' Rods in the past 3 years, all in the same place. I will never buy one again. Period.

Dinger
08-08-2009, 12:33 PM
I have had great luck with mine. excellent value and very light. nothing but good to say about them.

hunter991
08-10-2009, 09:32 AM
I have a compre and a convergence. These are good rods for the money and the warranty is good. Better than st croix in fact and you actually get customer service from shimano from what i hear. Unless your a pro don't expect st croix to stand behind their products. sorry, still sour on this st croix for not taking care of a simple issue with my walleye rod.

F_ast
08-10-2009, 01:34 PM
If you are just looking for a stick or an extra rod for the boat for a buddy... maybe you are just an occasional muskie fisherman, they are a great rod. If you are a serious, all day every weekend... every night kind of guy, the Compre is just not going to hold up. They have low quality graphite (compared to the top names) and mine have seemed to lose their power over a few seasons. For the price and the warranty they are not bad, but for an extra $70 you can have a great rod.

I have never broken a Compre, but I didnt like their feel and got ride of both of mine by spring the next yer because i just didn't use it.

They are kind of light, but bulky, clunky and have minimal feel, IMO.

whynot
08-10-2009, 01:47 PM
where did they break? i've broke an insert and had a dink break the tip off while going nuts in the net, but didn't think anything of it. only thing I have problems with is the end of the cork breaking off. think I'm gonna put a racket ball on the end and tape it up!

Breal31
08-10-2009, 02:01 PM
they have all broken about 2-3 inches from the tip, nearly in the identical same spot on all 3 rods.

One time accident, maybe. Two times, I'm raising eyebrows. Three times, never again. I agree with the poster that says it is a good rod if you do not fish heavily. If you are looking for a well priced rod, I have had very good luck with the Okuma rods in the past 2 years.

And as far as this warranty goes, I'll look into it and see how it goes.

Fishforsale
08-10-2009, 03:14 PM
> My Spence Petros, med heavy rod busted in half while
>trying to retrieve a lure snagged on a stump.Not blaming the
>rod maker, but id say I was at the 65% mark when the rod
>snapped.Wanted to get the all purpose St Croix rod but was
>told by my favorite online tackle company it wasnt available
>til Oct.So I settled for a $120 Shimano rod that ive never
>held or seen.Picked it up today at the UPS terminal and its
>the lightest Musky rod ive ever held in my hand.Lifetime
>warranty and im looking forward to seeing how it reacts with
>a fish.2 Daughters, just finished college both passed the
>boards in nursing and cant find a job, so I had to go
>budget.I gotta a real good feeling this is a great rod for
>the $.Its a Heavy 7-6 fast that the reel fit in real snug
>which wasnt the case with the other.Time will tell anyone on
>here ever used a Shimano rod? O.S

Can't find a nursing job?? That is frightening. Nursing jobs are supposed to be in high demand.

I use Guide Series rods and for the most enjoy them. I bought an 8 footer that feels like a tree trunk, but for the most part, they are pretty decent rods.

Old School Musky
08-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Gonna change the subject on this topic to what the so called Govt calls a STIMULUS PACKAGE.I dont know about the rest of you but I have yet to see MINE!Like alot of you, I work hard for my money and id like to know why the Govt didnt give a rats behind to the Middleclass Americans, when they decided to pass around the STIMULUS MONEY.The 1st STIMULUS PACKAGE, put money back into the rich mans pocket from the losses when the stock market went to HELL.The Middleclass American, got nothing not even a freakin expalnation of how his 401 plan crumbled now somebody crawled into to alot of 401 plans and took a helluva alot of $$$$$$$$ maybe you got an explantion I didnt!These are the reasons I have to buy budget rods!Now lets take both my daughters ,who are licenseds RNs,what if the Govt, would have stepped in and helped out with paying the college loans, that they both must pay that dear old dad, is gonna inherit that would have been a STIMULUS and would insure that when those girls, get jobs they can afford other things.What about the folks, that cant afford the mortgage payments what about allowing them to pull money out of thier 401 without the 30% tax penatly wouldnt that have been a STIMULUS?The present adminstration is setting us about for total failure because they have NO CLUE that the hard working Middleclass Americans, are what fuels the entire economy if they dont figure that out in the very near future we are heading for alot of issues.Let gas get back to 3.75 a gallon and tell me im wrong.I believe in all the Middleclass Americans that are alive and well and I feel sorry for the Greedy folks that feel we are a MINORITY!Sorry for my venting hate buying budget rods but thats what CHANGE has brought to my world! O.S

KDawg
08-11-2009, 06:18 AM
It aint about YOU. It never has been. It's all about them and power. Stimulus, TARP, and Federal Healthcare are code words for we the federal government want control of everything. Choice, freedom, liberty are of no concern to the current politicians in charge. I have seen politicians in the past make mistakes and be dead wrong about some things. Though, I have never seen a greedy power grab like this before.

Oldschoolmusky, I have a budget rod to. I hope your Shimano works out for you. I have never been a fan of that brand(especially their reels), but it may work great for you. I have heard good things about their warranty. A bass guy I know swears by their Clarus series rods even though he has broke three this year. Yikes, good that they stand behind them, but at some point you gotta say.......this is not a good product? Dont ya?

hunter991
08-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Another very good rod as far as i am concerned is the Gander Pro Select musky rods. I have a few of these too and for the money (under $80) they are a great bargain. Check them out.. I have never broken one and have caught many fish with these rods. they are pretty light, feel great and you can get them in a number of lengths.

whynot
08-11-2009, 08:25 AM
yeah, that's exactly where mine broke on that dink. that said, i do fish heavily and have had great luck with my compre rods. at that price point i couldn't ask for a better rod. i am going to be in the market next year for a better rod, though. got two solid reels, now i need to upgrade rods.