PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa River Muskies -38, 48, 52

MuskieWannabe
08-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Hey there everyone,

I've been a long time follower of the site and finally got off my butt and signed up. I've been muskie fishing for about 5 years, landed a couple 47 inchers, a 45 incher, and a bunch of smaller ones.

I by no means consider myself an expert but I am learning and have had some great days on the water.

For the past couple of years I have auctioned off a fishing trip at my office to help raise money for different charities. This year a co-worker won and we hit the water this past weekend.

He came out with me last year but nothing would compare to this trip. We started trolling with some spinners and only 45 minutes in we have a fish on. It took a while to get her to the boat, but what a beaut! She hit the fudally Hawg spin and took the entire thing into her mouth, only leaving a blade dangling where we could see it. Believe it or not, only one hook was actually hooked, so a quick flip of the pliers and the whole thing came out without any harm. A few quick pics and a measurement and she was off...48 inches!!! My co-worker had beaten my PB by an inch in just a matter of moments!

http://www.fish-hawk.net/photogallery/albums/userpics/normal_IMG_2659.JPG

After letting her go it was back to some trolling. About an hour and change afterwards we hooked into a nice fiesty 38 incher.

http://www.fish-hawk.net/photogallery/albums/userpics/normal_IMG_2661.JPG

By this time it was nearing 11:30am and he decided he would call it a day. I declined the offer to go to lunch as I still wanted to see if there were more to be caught.

I began casting a large flat when I noticed my leader had begun to fray. I debated putting a new one on and whether or not a fish would actually break it or not. After a few seconds of pondering I decided that it would be better to be safe than sorry, so a new leader was on my line.....And thank God!

Not 10 minutes later I had my reel screaming. I managed to bring her to the boat but she was staying deeper than I could see. She ran about 100 feet. I wrestled her back and finally caught a glimpse. This was no ordinary muskie! She ran again and again and each time seemed as though she wasn't even trying, but each time the line peeled as though attached to a mack truck.

About the fifth time I brought her to the boat she was in the net. I took the hook out and waved another boater to come and help me with some pictures and a measurement. She was a whopping 52 inches long. A new PB and it capped off a great day of fishing!

http://www.fish-hawk.net/photogallery/albums/userpics/normal_IMG_2663.JPG

http://www.fish-hawk.net/photogallery/albums/userpics/normal_IMG_2667.JPG

A 48", 38", and 52" muskie!

And to top it off, I took my brother out on the Sunday and we landed two more in the high 30" range! What a great weekend!

Cheers!

MuskieWannabe

KenK
08-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Congrats on the new PB!! Nice story to boot!!

lpmaure
08-14-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm green with envy. Thanks for posting. My brother and I are planning our first try on the Ottawa River in late September; going to the middle section (Chats Lake). What section were you in? I'd appreciate any tips you'd care to share with a first-timer on the OR. Previously we've gone to the Kawartha lakes, but this year we felt it was time to try some new water.

MuskieWannabe
08-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Hey there,

The Ottawa River truly is an amazing piece of water. If you are coming all the way up here I would drive the etra little bit to Wendover, on the east side of Ottawa. That is where the majority of big muskies are caught. I tend to stay around Arnprior, as it is closetr to home, but if you are already making the trip, an extra hour and change will land you there.

You can launch form the little town of Wendover and fish almost right there. The Nation river flows in there and has always been an awesoem hot spot. There are weedlines that go from 3 FOW to 25. You can cast and troll and be on all kinds of ledges and shelfs and weeds. There tend to be a few more boats in that area because of the fishing but well worth it. If you want it a bit more quiet while still a chance of landing some large fish, I'd launch out of Arnprior and cover the watyer in that area.

Let me know when you're coming up and maybe I'll try and make a point to be on the water!

Cheers!

MW

lpmaure
08-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Sounds great! I sent you a message; let me know if you didn't get it.