PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg River

Kmac
06-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Anyone been up to the river yet this year?

From everything i'm hearing or seeing, the river is up to the level it was in 2004 and 2005 and i've heard the water temps are extremely cool.

One guy i know up in Canada has said that the weed growth and water temps are about a month behind where they're at normally....

Can anyone give me some more info.....trip coming up and i'm getting excited!!!!!

Breal31
06-21-2009, 03:11 AM
9" Weighted Firetiger Suick.....Usually not one of my favorite baits but it is definetely a good choice on that water...Biggest fish of my life actually

brians79930
06-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Heading to Minaki this Friday (6/26/09)and I'm crossing my fingers the reports on water level and weed growth you've received are inaccurate or dated. Looks like it will be a hot week with temps approaching 90s. Work will be difficult this week.

Kmac
06-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Hey brian,

Sorry my friend, the water levels are accurate - updated daily.

Currently the river sits at 317.2 meters and has been steady (which is good) since early June. Expect the water to be approx 2 feet higher then it was last year. So no bridge walleyes for you!!!!

Bad thing is the level of 317.2 has not been reached since 2004 and 2005....

Gotta remember where i fished and had success from those years because the water is not going down so expect higher then normal water.

Based upon the reports i'm getting, the water temps are between 59-64 degrees in minaki as of June 22.

Good luck!!!!!

I will be heading up the 11th of July, be sure to poke your head back in and let me know how things went!!!!

Kmac

brians79930
06-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Kmac,

We don't do much walleye fishing anyway. Just enough for one fish dinner so that doesn't concern me much. The high water, low temps and their effect on weed growth are a bit of a concern, but I'm confident we'll find a few of the fish we're looking for. I'll report back on the 6th or 7th.

Staying in jackfish bay and will be hitting little sand, rough rock and isolated spots in pistol most of the time.

Kmac
06-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Brian,

Yeah, we stay at Paradise and usually head north, but have a few spots south that we like to at least make an appearance at once in a while....

My biggest to date was a great 53 1/2" from lil sand, picture of it hangs in the pub, i got the adidas shirt on and it was a great to release her for another day....

Have you had any good luck in Pistol, it seems the only thing we ever see in there was dink northerns....

Good Luck, would love to see the ones you guys get!!!!

Tell me the hotspots so i can visit them the week after you get back!!!!

Talk to you later,
K

Kmac
06-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Brian,

Good news, i read on a Lake of the Woods report that water temps are between 69-70 on the lake, that is a good number.....

They're saying muskies are beginning to show themselves and get active. In fact, showed a pic of a beautiful 50 incher caught last weekend which is an obvious good sign for you. Said Northerns are up shallow off the points and weed growth was developing quickly....

not sure if thats good or bad, they indicated the majority of the fish walleye, muskies, northerns all hangin off the rocks.

Good Luck look forward to hearing how you did!!!!

brians79930
06-24-2009, 02:15 PM
I'll be back on the 5th and will let you know what's going on. Send me an email and I'll get back to you there. The water temps and weed growth are all good news to me. I prefer that over the deep rocks. I've been fishing this chain since I was 8 years old and have consistently had my best luck (at least for numbers)the first and second week of July. I also go up in September. We don't land the numbers in the fall, but the one's we do are fat, healthy fish.

Counting down the hours now until my first cast Saturday am.

Ryanm
06-26-2009, 08:30 AM
I am heading to Minaki next week 30th through the 5th. I was a little confused with that last report from Lake of the Woods. Was that report of 70 degree water on LOTW? or Minaki? If so what part of the lake?

I have been to Minaki on opener a couple times. 2 years ago it was awesome. I hope the weeds are up in the bays next week.