PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Northerns

MuskyRoller
09-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Beauty! I love pike and when I can't fish muskies (which is too often) I throw my musky stuff for northerns here in MN. I've caught plenty this month between 30-38, but can't seem to get one over 40".

I'll keep trying though...

muskybait
10-15-2008, 01:34 PM
If you ever want a blast fishing for northerns w/ occational (large+50") muskies thrown in and a few big walleyes, you have got to try Wabigoon in Dryden. Second or third week in July and most importantly sunny days only. Fish 3-6' with surface baits, large saftey pin spinners w/ colorado blades and pretty much any lure thats obnoxious or that you can get through the "piss" weeds. Avoid the real "milky" areas that the wind churns off the clay banks and just fish. All the water is the color of coffee w/ milk in it. I have top raiders w/ no paint left on them, tandem blades with teeth marks and no rubber skirts and buzz baits that caught walleye. We stayed at Indian Point off of the 502 right before you get into Dryden(cheap) For a couple days work we ended up w/ 75+ northerns avg. 35"-41" with one at 45" and a few more at 42/43". We lost a couple large muskies (net job- I won't mention names) and by the end of the trip we were taking our baits away from the pike. We delt with very few hammer-handles. Its not the prettiest of lakes and it can stink depending on the wind(papermill) but combine it with Eagle and you got one hell of a trip. Just remember, I've litterally seen hundreds of photos of big skis and pike, and 99% of them were on sunny days. That also held true on our trip.:7 Good luck, TC

Silverscale
02-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Someone told me the papermill in Dryden closed up. If true there shouldn't be any smell around.

RWSCHMITZ
11-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Here is a 44" from Taltson Bay Canada

MuskyRoller
11-16-2009, 08:52 AM
On the post below, I spent a week in Canada trying to catch big northerns...I guess all I needed to do was spend some more time at the cabin in central Minnesota...

I caught this 38" on a 6" phantom...biggest I've ever caught in MN or Canada. I caught it out in front of the cabin, put it in the Beckman, putted back in to the dock, took some pics, and shallow released it! It was very cool to see swim back to the depths!

I don't spend a ton of time fishing muskies in MN, but get the chance often to fish for northerns...My goal for this fall is a fat 40"!

Steve

muskymolnes
07-14-2011, 09:13 PM
You should try the St Croix caught a nice 40" while fishing for musky!