PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Lake Ontario vs. Lake of The Woods

Upside
06-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Does anyone here fish both? How would you compare the two? I've fished Rainy since the late 1970's and while it went through an almost dead period, it has rebounded into simply an amazing fishery. If it's strictly muskie that you're targeting, I guess I'd have to give LOW the nod as Rainy does have them but not in equal numbers.

BUT, my wife and I just returned from our first trip to Rainy this year, spent 4 days on the lake and there's no way to describe it other than phenomenal, if you're into smallmouth, pike and walleye. We we're there the last week of May, the ice was off only one week earlier and the smallmouth were simply gorging themselves. I'm not exaggerating when I say we caught a minimum of 80 to 100 each day and I don't believe a single one was under 3 pounds with a handful pushing the 6 pound mark. Walleye and pike fishing was sporadic with a decent number of each being caught but again, they were all of good size.

I guess the point of this post is to ask to compare the two lakes. Obviously I favor Rainy. In our 4 days I believe we saw maybe 10 other boats total. It's been a while since I fished Lake of the Woods but where we stayed, the shoreline was dotted with cabins and resorts and the boat traffic reminded me of northern Wisconsin lakes. That's not the case with Rainy, simply no cabins/resorts, virtually no other boats and a lake that's actually in need of a bit more fishing pressure. Any opinions?

Breal31
07-01-2008, 10:43 AM
the only thing keping me from vacationing on Rainy is the small musky population...

It is the most scenic lake in the US as far as I am concerned, and can match the rest in Canada...

I would love if they would stock it but that probably won't be happening...

jeffintoronto
07-04-2008, 11:37 AM
>
>It is the most scenic lake in the US as far as I am
>concerned, and can match the rest in Canada...
>

That's because more than 1/2 of it is in Canada :)

Breal31
07-04-2008, 11:40 AM
lol, can't argue that one

Upside
07-09-2008, 09:47 PM
>the only thing keping me from vacationing on Rainy is the
>small musky population...
>
>It is the most scenic lake in the US as far as I am
>concerned, and can match the rest in Canada...
>
>I would love if they would stock it but that probably won't
>be happening...

Yep, definitely not the musky hotbed of the world but man, if you fish for virtually any other northern species, I can't think of a lake that rivals it.