PDA

View Full Version : Metro report

Dedicated Angler
06-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Fish Friday and Saturday.
Water temps on Bald Eagle and White Bear both 66-68 degrees
Weeds look a little behind but still present and growing.
Friday - fished everything, tried everything and no pattern to report. All we got was 2 bass 3 pike one was about 10#'s

Saturday for the Hartman Tourney
Switched to Bald Eagle instead of WBL. Tried everything again, and still managed to only catch Pike. I saw one fish hit and roll off a bucktail that I could not tell if it was a pike or musky. Had one on trolling and it must have got a bit of slack and slipped the hooks after about 2 seconds.

sarinske
06-16-2008, 02:58 PM
I fished Forest Lake Sunday morning with not so much as a sniff. We swithched gears that afternoon and tried to put some panfish in the well. While fishig the spawning beds in about 2-3' of water we came up on 2 Musky. One was pushing 40" and the other was around 35". the smaller one nipped at my topwater and followed my brothers suick to the boat but would not commit. Maybe we should be focusing on the shallows right now??

thebeave
06-19-2008, 11:50 AM
6/18/08 Lake Hariet 6pm-10pm

Raised one fish, about 38-40" twice at 9pm, nothign else seen or heard. Full Moon and water temp 71

beave

Bookem
06-21-2008, 02:34 PM
53"er on wednesday going into the full moon.

Phantom Lover
06-23-2008, 07:57 AM
>53"er on wednesday going into the full moon.

Where? wut time? bait? you know just some stuff to help the guys out on here

Dedicated Angler
06-23-2008, 09:00 AM
I got out on the St Croix Friday with the kids.

You could not have asked for a better set up. Sunny nice breeze blowing Surface temp of 80.6 degrees.
We set up under an eagles nest with a pair of nesting eagles in it. We watched and listen to them argue with their chicks.

We just hammered the Gills and had a ball until the worms ran out.

MNSteveH
06-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Tues - Bald Eagle - Temps about 70 - pondweed mostly gone - fish chasing bait off the edges. Got a 38" on a topraider

Wed - Forest - Temps about 72 - still deep pondweed (12-14') some real nice cabbage up in 4-6' - two lazy follows out off the edges - had a mid-40's eat an tiger tube but hooks didn't stick.

Mon - Owasso - Temps 77!! - pretty much all vegetation gone, a fair amount of floating junk. Had one about 40" rush&tailslap a topraider over 20 FOW - did everything but eat it.

Traveling most of the next month - good luck and leave some for me when I get back.

MuskyRoller
06-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Steve,
Great report on Owasso. I've been out the last couple of years, without a sniff!!! I was beginning to think they weren't in there anymore. I got a 38" out there about five years ago and that's been about it since then!

Steve

MNSteveH
06-25-2008, 11:14 PM
MuskyRoller. I live <5 min from Owasso so I go there a few times year when I don't have time to go anywhere else but need a little time on the water. My sucess has not been great, but do get a fish every now and then. There was nobody else chasing muskies last night but a lot of walleye guys all bunched up near the ski jump. The lake can be good very early in the season (lots of people - not me, and probably not regular musky hunters - target ski's before the opener on this lake) but once they spray the weedkiller it goes caput for a month or two, then the water temps get so high there... Should probably spend more time chasing tigers on Johanna this year, although my success rate there has not been great either.

MuskyRoller
06-26-2008, 06:27 AM
Steve,
My review on Johanna is about the same. I've only been out there twice. Once on a cold October day a number of years back. Friend and I caught a bunch of bass, about ten jacks, and 3 small muskies. That was a very good day for a metro lake. The other time in the middle of the summer, out with my uncle, we got skunked...so, I suppose it's hit or miss like any other metro water.

Thanks for the information on Owasso. I try to get out there once or twice a year. I'll probably target it a little more in September and October this year.

Steve

sarinske
06-26-2008, 04:58 PM
I fished Waconia last night and had 1 follow at the edge of deep weeds but it did'nt commit. I also saw the wierdest thing... I was fishing the same weed edge when at about 9:00 I saw something surface. I had to do a doube take, it was a big Musky swimming slow with it's head out of the water. It seemed like it was looking at something out of the water. It was about 20 yards away so I could not estimate the length but the head was huge! Anyone else see something like this?? It was crazy!

BRANT B
06-26-2008, 06:45 PM
were you southwest of the island?

bustin lips
06-26-2008, 09:19 PM
This is very common on a couple metro lakes I fish. I think they are trying to see who's lure they want to eat.;)

sarinske
06-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Brant

I was trying to get out of the wind and was fishing directly South of the island.

BRANT B
06-27-2008, 07:33 PM
SARINSKE

I have seen that fish many times in the last 3 seasons. I once got close enough to throw a Bulldawg at her, but it spooked her and she dove. I'm guessing her to be in the upper 40's, and always south of the island. My brother and I simply refer to her as "head swimmer". Yeah, big head.

mawdan1
06-28-2008, 10:46 AM
I fish Waconia quite frequently and I haven't been fortunate enough to see this fish...although I've seen this happen on Lake Vermillion several times and I would throw and throw but they just didn't seem interested in anything. Perhaps you could try to snag it? (not really just kidding).

I'm getting the feeling after looking at photos and posts (other than one 52") and my catches (including a 45" 2008 opener 7am) that Waconia is more of a numbers lake than anything - a majority of quality 40-45 inch fish. Anyone seen or caught otherwise lately?

MNSteveH
06-28-2008, 11:24 PM
FYI,

Lake Johanna was sprayed on June 24th. Some floating weeds and huge pods of algae all over the lake.

Dedicated Angler
06-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Friday Morning
White Bear Lake - Surface temps 75.7
Fish were moving early we saw 4 fish, all on different baits, but could get nothing to commit.
We caught 3 Kamikaze pike and fish activity died about 6:30am, I was off the water by 9:00am.

mawdan1
07-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Dedicated are you a retiree or are you also fortunate enough to work 4 10s and have your Friday's off?

Dedicated Angler
07-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey,

Due to the requirements of the project I was on I was unable to use my vacation time from last year. I don't work for free, and I was not going to lose it, so I have take every Friday off from mid June thru the middle of Sept.

Gives me a bit more time to the kids since I was a ghost last year I kinda owe them some time.

Dedicated Angler
07-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Thur PM I fished White bear Lake from 4-11pm

Water temp 76
Some distinct bloom occuring
light winds Sunny conditions

I had one fish on a Mag Dawg but could not keep him pinned up.

I thought I had a weed so I ripped the Dawg to clear it. It still felt a bit odd, I could feel some drag / pulling. It felt fishy so I hit him again. The fish pulled once more and was gone.

How a fish can Bend a Mag Dawg 45 degrees and cut/shred the body and not remain hook is baffeling to me.

By the end of the day we had one other follow, 5 pike, and one overly ambitious sunfish.

Swimbait21
07-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Might be headed out to white bear tomorrow. I live about 10 min from there. What color bull dawgs do you usually use out there? Where on the lake do you usually go if you don't mind me asking. I'm very new to musky fishing. Had a 40+" follow on mainito island last year bassin'.

Dedicated Angler
07-08-2008, 12:38 PM
The whole lake can kick out fish.

All the community spots are good, Manitou, Ordway Bar, etc.
You have to fish them because there are fish there.

I have had a bit of luck fishing spot adjacent to the pounded "Spots". Fish the wind blown areas. If thats not working go in shallower and cast out. Try and give the fish something different to look at, because believe me the fish in that place have seen everything (2x).

Mag Dawgs, hair, topwater No real pattern forming as of yet.

Good Luck

Swimbait21
07-15-2008, 11:00 PM
was out on white bear this evening.
Started at 5:45pm and ended at 9:30pm
Caught 5bass, and 5pike.
2 Pike were caught trolling, both small.
weirdest thing. caught about a 1.5lb pike on a Double Cowgirl trolling haha
my buddy had a musky on when we were bass fishing on a spinnerbait. faught him for about 2 min then burried himself in the weeds...gone.

thebeave
07-17-2008, 11:43 AM
7-16-08
Harriet from 6:30-10:00
Nothing moving, water temp 79

7-12-08
Indy - water temp 76 8:00 am - 12:45
Nothing moving, damn near got blown off the water, and the wind and whitecaps turned the launch in to a boat rodeo.
I guess my last few trips couldn't be any worse, but like teh old saying, sure beats working

Swimbait21
07-19-2008, 03:55 PM
7-18-08
White Bear Lake
On water at 9:00p.m.
Off water at 4:00a.m
Fullmoon
Caught a northern at 11:30p.m.
No Muskie
Using Bulldawgs and Double Cowgirls

sarinske
07-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Fished Forest Lake Sunday from 9am-noon. Caught 5 pike in a 2 hour window including a fat 32"er. No musky caught and after the clouds cleared the pike stopped biting. I was using a M&G spinner bait.

mngopher
07-26-2008, 11:06 AM
caught and released a 51 inch musky on Indy last night on a cowgirl. my 1st musky. been waitin a long time for that one.

Swimbait21
07-29-2008, 12:06 PM
any pictures?

thebeave
07-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Sat on WBL
6:30am-12:00pm
Water Temp 76

We caught a 38 and a 42", one on bucktail one on bulldawg, we had 3 follows, two fish were high 40's fish, and semi active, didn't floow on 8's and never came back. One of the follows wiffed on a jerkbait 10 feet out, and then gave up. Pike were also really active, but nothing big. Saw one Muskie swimming on the surface as we went back to the launch, head out of the water and cruising like some Great White, pretty cool. Must have been an active window that day with the Indy 51" and I heard fish were really active in the Minocqua area as well.

Swimbait21
07-29-2008, 07:08 PM
I hope you don't mind me asking, but where on Bear?

thebeave
07-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Well if I gave you the GPS coordinates and the baits I was using would that work? No, I won't go that far unless you're looking for a guide, and you have some extra cash to throw out there?

On WBL there are so many great spots and we were fishing on all three sections of the lake. Mid lake humps, wind blown weed edges, and points were our spots, but I know there are fish to be had around every corner of that lake, Sat. was just a really active day. Any large weed flat moving jerk baits and bucktails, bulldawgs on deeper structure and some of these big fish were really shallow, so don't for topwater on the inside edge.

Swimbait21
07-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Didn't mean it like that man. I'm new to muskie and i'm having a hard time.
Heading out there tonight..

MNSteveH
07-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Finally back after a month-long hiatus from fishin. Spent a couple hrs on WB Sun night. Had some decent fish moving in the small time window from sunset to first dark (~8:30-9:15) Couple nice size fish followed bucktails but stayed low and turned off at the boat. Had another clobber a DCG but the hooks didn't stick - how do they do that?

Swimbait, Beave is right - there are tons of good spots and patterns change so much that it's not of much use to tell you what worked yesterday anyway. This time of year if you cover water quickly using bucktails along deep weed edges (14-18') you will encounter fish, althought periods of activity can be real short - timing is tough to predict but very important. I also think speed is real important. These fish have seen it all so don't giv'em a chance to think, and if you get a follow speed up even move and try to get the fish to commit before it gets to the boat. I get very few boat-side stikes on WB. And, I also think when water temps are real high a bait running 3-4' down is better than a surface bait.

thebeave
07-31-2008, 11:49 AM
No I was just joking, and knew you just wanted some info, but MN Steve maybe said it best. Be flexible, and change it up, not so much "where", but "how". There are huge weed flats and weed edges that surround nearly the entire lake, fish can be anywhere and I like to think they have pretty big ranges on this lake. If you're new and trying to figure some things out I would suggest you continue to move fast and look for active fish, bucktails, top water, minnow baits and jerk baits to cover water. Find a pattern or some areas that you have consistanly see fish. Buy Saric and Heitings book on fishing and read the chapter on going through your progression. If you keep that in your head you won't get hung up on what bait to fish, it helps you from getting stuck in a rut and switching it up on the fish. Some days are just brutal when it come to Muskie fishing, some are awesome and a blast like last Sat. It makes you appreciate the good times more. Lakes with a ton of pressure like the metro are even tougher unless you get out everyday.

One other thing is WBL is a big Metro lake, you should look at it as three different lakes when you look at your map, then break it down. Learn each of the three sections well and then focus on it as one lake.

I hope that helps, and half the fun is figuring certain lakes out and seeing the results. It takes time. Good Luck

mngopher
07-31-2008, 02:56 PM
http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=652508&l=c95d1&id=725213845

also moved a few more on Indy since this one. had another on the line in the high 40's but lost it once it got close to the boat.

Swimbait21
07-31-2008, 11:01 PM
7-31-08
White Bear Lake
4:30pm to 9:40pm
My buddy had 1 follow. Pretty nice fish.

thebeave
08-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Fished Sat - 8/2/08 WBL
6:00 - 1:00
Water - 78-79 Wind calm

We could not move a single muskie, and even the pike were shy. We caught two pike, one deep one shallow, had several small pike follow or blow up on surface stuff, but very inactive. Didn't see anyone else catching anything.

Beave

Swimbait21
08-04-2008, 02:53 PM
8-1-08
5:00pm to 9:55pm
Very Windy
No follows
Busted trolley motor bracket, spent 2 hours working on that..

8-2-08
3:00pm to 5:00pm
Very windy again
2 Bass
1 Pike
1 9" Bluegill
No Muskie

Swimbait21
08-05-2008, 10:00 PM
8-5-08
White Bear Lake
5:30-9:10
Still no luck for me. Fished sunked islands, sharp drops, and deep weedlines.
I think I'm gonna try to get out there in the morning to see if anything changes for the morning bite...

Qrocks
08-07-2008, 10:49 AM
WBL - last couple of weeks, working top of weeds in 12 - 15 feet adjacent to deep drops. Caught a nice one, plenty of nice follows.

thebeave
08-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Anyone been fishing lately? I was out on Indy a few weeks ago, and had a nice follow on a Viper, but I just have not had time to get on the water. Hopefully this long weekend I'll get out a bit

Beave

bustin lips
08-28-2008, 08:09 PM
calhoun has been very hot! 1 tiger and 2 48"+ fish caught last saturday.

MNSteveH
08-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Haven't done much fishing the past two months but got a 40" on Sun and spoke with a guy who got a 46" last night. So yeah, they are there and seem to be going OK. Speed (DCG's - what else?) along deep edges seems to be working. Nothin yet on topwater for me. Evening water temp was about 73

thebeave
09-10-2008, 09:38 PM
9/5/08 on Lake Harriet 2pm to 9pm
2 muskies caught, 37" and 39"
water temp 71 wind from SE
fish very shallow on bucktails

MNSteveH
09-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Spent a little time Sat early morning and Sun afternoon on WBL. Water temps about 67. Had one hooked and lost Sat along a weed edge and had one blow-up on Sun in shallow. Both on phantoms worked fairly slowly. Otherwise nothing. Even the pike we short-striking and very tentative. Maybe I was just out at the wrong times but I would have expected the fish to be moving better given the weather conditions.

mawdan1
09-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Well others might not of had the same good experience but...

Fished West Metro lake Friday and Saturday morning. Both days was on the water by 4:30am (everyone thinks I'm nuts) and got off the water no earlier than 1:30pm. Friday I was working shoreline and had one small follow and one atleast 45" fish follow. I spent 15 more minutes with throwback lures and such and no luck. Another boat with guys comes buy as I move my way down the shoreline. I'm thinking to myself these guys are going to catch something right in my face. What do you know one guy pulls up a 43" (I heard them measure). What a kick in the jewels- thats the breaks. But as I'm working my way down the shoreline I had an even bigger follow. So I camped there for an hour and no luck. By the way action was on small flat inside turn by a huge steep drop off.

Saturday morning was awesome! My first topwater/in the dark musky early early Saturday morning when I revisited prior days follows. That weather was making all the smaller fish really active. I saw a few camera flashes on the lake around the same time 5:00 am to 8:00 am. I then decided to work my way towards a spot I've never fished and usually don't see boats at. Another personal first was made by getting fish number two was on a Suick on an inside turn in about 8-10 ft of water. I've had other days where I could've had 3-4 fish but had misses and headshakes.

Anyhow the weather was prime for all day action but I think that the fact there was a full boat launch parking lot meant that the fish were possibly put into negative moods by lots of motor noise and consistent sound of dcg being throw on the same spots. I decided to hit a bunch of spots with a doc wtd to maybe get fish people missed...no luck on muskies but I did have a 16" bass nail my doc (way too funny). Revisited my first fish spot for Saturday with wtd and had another blowup on the doc, couldn't tell what it was though.

bustin lips
09-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Harriet is absolutely on fire. Caught 3 mon, 2 tues., 2 wed., yesterday saw a bunch and caught 3 more, today after work a tiger and a 48". The north side and the south side have been best. If you have a 36 volt trolling motor give it a try. If you are going to anywhere else, skip it and go to Harriet.

Swimbait21
09-30-2008, 08:04 PM
damn!! using?

sarinske
09-30-2008, 08:47 PM
I had an awesome day on the water! Fished Indy from 3pm to dark. At about 5:00 I caught a 34" pike on a small spinnerbait. Then at about 6pm I hooked into a 45" ski using a gold DSG. My biggest fish to date!! The water was in the mid 60's and the fish were shallow.

bustin lips
10-02-2008, 08:15 PM
my custom painted depth raider for 3 of them, low rider, and a purple pacemaker, green grandma. best week I have ever had. too bad duck season opens sat.

Swimbait21
10-02-2008, 09:52 PM
you mean thank god duck season opens saturday. I've been counting down the days!!!

Dedicated Angler
10-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Fished White Bear Friday night
Water temp was 64 degrees
Popped a 38' right away (about 6ish)on a Wind blown Deep Weed edge.
no more ski action until Moon Set. Just as the moon disappeared I had one smoke a Eagle tail. They are usually such a good hooking bait, But in this case, about 1/2 way back to the boat the fish came up, started headshakin and poof gone! To bad it felt like a nice fish too.

Muskie - Real men Lip'm

sarinske
10-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Fished Indy Saturday from noon to 5pm. fished the weed lines in about 5-6' of water and had a few follows on a gold DSG. My dad hooked into his biggest to date - a nice 42 1/2"er.

MNSteveH
10-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Fished Forest from 1-7 Thurs. Water temp was 55. Lake 3 was noticably clearer than 1 and 2. Maybe 1 and 2 are turning and 3 hasn't started yet - but at 55 I'd have thought they would all be turned.

Fish were very shallow but no real pattern (some on the sand in <1', some in the rushes, some in the weeds). Moved quite a few on jerkbaits and spinnerbaits but none would eat.

Any reports about turnover on other lakes?

Dedicated Angler
10-27-2008, 12:56 PM
White Bear Friday PM
Water temp 53
Clarity was very high

Moved a little fella in 12' weeds. He tied 3 time to eat my jerkbait but missed every time. I give him props since he was maybe 2x the size if the bait.

Just before sundown I saw a fish the size of a U-Boat.
It came charging in on a tangled Granny, You know when the bait get hooked on the line. The bait spins in a loop between the surface and about a foot down.

As I was bringing it in about 10' from the boat this fish charges up on the bait as it pops out of the water. The fish just sit there wondering where his dinner went. I put the bait back in and tried to bring him back but no dice.

Muskie003
11-20-2008, 02:41 AM
Well since I see no one is fishing muskies anymore, i will let you all in on a little secret. There still biting. In the last 3 weeks i have boated 42",43",44",two 45"s,two 46"s, and a 47. and my friend caught his first, a 48" on November 16th. Most of the time I'm the only boat on the lake. And I could not enjoy that anymore than i already do. so to every one who has winterized there boats. Thankyou. and for anyone still fishing, good luck till Dec. 1st.