PDA

View Full Version : Pike Fishing in Sawyer and Washburn Counties

RoboMan
06-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi all,

I've been away from this site for a couple years. Feels good to be back.

I'm looking for smaller lakes or rivers to fish for Northern Pike in Washburn or Sawyer County. I'm from the Madison Area and I only practice catch and release.

About my set up - I have a Cranberry Creek Canoe, which has a wide body and a square stern. I have a 55lbs thrust Minnkota on it. This canoe is super stable and allows for 2 people to stand and cast without tipping.

I use it strictly for fishing. I bought it to fish out of not to canoe!!!!I have mounted swivel seats in it to make it easier to cast from. I've also designed a platform across the yoke with a clamp to hold a large net. This works great allowing my hands to be free when landing big fish.

Also, I use both 6' and 7' musky rods with various Abu Garcia reels.

I've fished several lakes in Vilas, Iron, and Oneida counties for Musky but this year I want to try something different and fish for Pike.

The reason I'm giving you all this info about my set up is because I'm looking for smaller bodies of water that are not likely to whitecap. I also feel it necessary to explain that this isn't the type of canoe used for white water rivers. Infact, most canoers stick there nose up at me when they paddle by. LOL.

Any tips on places to go in the Hayward area would be much appreciated. I'm heading up there the end of July and will be close to Wasburn County. Spooner area.

Thanks

RoboMan

muskybait
06-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Fun little lake to fish with lots of nice pike and some big musky is a little lake called Nancy north of Hayward in Minong. You will enjoy this one!!! Good Luck;-)

RoboMan
06-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Hey thank you so much. I saw that lake on the map and thought it would be a good place to fish with my girlfriend because her name is Nancy too.

:+

I'll have to give it a closer look. Just so hard to tell if a lake is any good or not just by what those books tell you. It is a tremendous help talking to someone who has actually fished a particular body of water.