PDA

View Full Version : Crow Lake Ont.

conan75
04-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Has anyone fished Crow Lake Ont. for musky? I am thinking about going there in ealy Oct.

Brandon McCullough
04-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Hey, I haven't fished it yet, but I will be at the beginning of August. The lake is really clear and deep. It has muskies, lakers and smallmouth. I hear it can be tough at times. Instead of heading to Crow, why don't you stay on Sabaskong Bay on Lake of the Woods. We are staying with Red Deer Lodge, and they have an option of moving one of their rental boats to Crow for the day, if you are renting. They will also move it to Whitefish Bay. If you have your own boat, and stay at Red Deer Lodge you are literally across the street from Crow. It's just a thought, but I'd rather be on LOTW with the option of Crow, because we all know the reputation of LOTW. Another benefit is that Sabaskong Bay is likely to be more stable in Oct because of the relatively shallow water, and the fact that it is mesotropic water. We all know that the weather in Oct can be all over the place, and with Crow being so clear, I would be afraid that if a cold front blew through the fish would bury themselves for a few days. Chances are that the effects wouldn't be as bad on the meso sections of LOTW. Just my thoughts, I just think LOTW would be better percentage wise at that time of the year.
Good Luck on the Water This Year, Brandon McCullough.

Jay SBMC
04-07-2008, 05:43 PM
I have,and I hate it. Great lake early when the big ones are in shalower water. I agree on the recommendation to fish Sabaskong. I think you'd do much better there.

team green
04-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I use to go to crow. It was the first lake i musky fished on. to clear for my likings. i found that it is a much better lake for trolling. however there is big fish in there. most of the lakers caught are small with an occasional 12 pounder. if you stay at lake view lodge, they have an access on LOW. Al and Mary are very nice poeple and the price is great. If you do plan on going, let me know. I was thinking about trying it in the fall. If nothing else, i could give you some of my tips. (not saying they will help)

elkman99
04-12-2008, 09:30 AM
I have fished Crow in September and in July. I had really good luck seeing fish in September, and would bet that October could be really good. The lake has the most clear/beautiful water of any lake I have been on in Canada. I have seen bottom at nearly 30ft on sunny flat calm days. There are definitely some huge fish in Crow, but getting to them is another story. I have been really surprised/disappointed that not more big fish have been taken out of her. Some of that is probably due to lack of pressure. Tough water to fish, but a place where everyone should fish at least once just to enjoy the beauty.

esox394
04-16-2008, 08:03 PM
havent fished Crow, but fly out of Nestor Falls and talk with alot of guys through the years that fish Crow and stay overnight in the hotel. im not kidding but i usually see a group that go same time we do, and they say.....no kidding, that Crow is better on bright days. sounds opposite of what you think and when its cloudy they go to LOTW, pretty strange but i never forget that, good luck. E30

tangler18
06-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Hey guys im a new member and excited to be on this site!!!!
Im gonna be heading out to Crow in July im a new musky fisher and im gonna do alot of studying and hopefully have some good success. I will update you on how things work.
Does anyone have any tips?

MuskyMaster
06-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Do not trust your GPS.
Keep one eye on your lower unit and the other eye on the sky.
Microcells appear out of nowhere.
Use both maps, the Red Lake Digital and the resort map.
There are reefs NOT marked on either map.
There are NO navigational buoys.

I normally fish the opener. By July, they should be starting to move on rock shelves, points, humps and reefs. You'd do yourself a favor, by hiring a guide. In my life, I've seen two 60" fish. One of them was on Crowe. Throw weight forward inline bucktails, jerks and gliders. Gaudy, ugly, bright, mismatched color combinations will get their attention.

tangler18
06-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks i'll do my best to be very cautious. What are Microcells by the way? I was planning on doing some night fishing but maybe if the lake is that tricky I might think twice.

MuskyMaster
06-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Microcells are small, intense storms that materialize out of nowhere. It could be a cloudless, sunny and bright day. Then you notice a tiny, single cloud, in the distance. It's coming toward you and before you know it, all hell breaks loose. The worst I've experienced, produced 75-80 mph winds and marble size hail. It was over in twenty minutes and the weather returned to what it was prior. You're not always fortunate to see it coming.

As for night fishing on Crowe, I'm sure it's been done. Just don't know anyone that recommends it.