PDA

View Full Version : Costa Rica Fishing

jonnysled
08-07-2009, 11:40 AM
anybody have any experiece or contacts on fishing in costa rica? i'm venturing into a new work thing that will take me there at a high frequency so i'd like to get prepared for how to approach the fishing opportunities ahead of time.

Jack Pine
08-07-2009, 12:01 PM
I'll check with my daughter she and her husband have fished there several times,suposed to be some of the best.Black Marlin I think or maybe that's Panama.Anyway I'm envious--Lucky.
T.

Breal31
08-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Sled, unfortunately I have been told that Costa Rica has lots of big fish, but sadly they don;t bite and will just chase your lures back to the boat and swim away...

rnovak
08-07-2009, 12:26 PM
good flats fishing on the Altantic side - good bill fishing on the pacific side and i hear the smaller version of the peacock bass in the rivers. was looking at going there for a buddies batchelor party a couple of years back.

rnovak

jonnysled
08-07-2009, 12:59 PM
good form brian LOL.

peacock and flats fishing sound fun! i'd have to hit the P90X program like fenner to be in shape enough to tackle a marlin i think.

pointerpride102
08-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Not sure if this will help a ton, but has a bit of info on the fishing. Would be a fun place to go visit that is for sure!

http://www.greatalaska.com/pages/costa_rica_fishing/62.php

"Rodgers minus Favre, Just Packers Glory Baby!! ;)"

Mike

MuskyHopeful
08-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Sled, be careful of snakes down there in Costa Rice. Avoid the Bothrops asper and the Jumping pitviper. The info below came from a Costa Rican website.

"Suggestions To Prevent the Risk of Snakebite, Remember:

Avoid walking barefoot in forested areas, and always use high rubber or leather boots.

Avoid areas where you can not clearly see the forest floor.

Do not use your hands or feet to inspect holes, lift rocks, logs, or forest undergrowth; instead, use a rod, machete, or a large branch.

If you walk at night, ALWAYS use a flashlight or a lantern so you can see clearly, and remember that many snakes are active after dark.

If you find a snake, maintain a proper distance and avoid making any sudden movements. Remember that snakes are incapable of chasing or biting you unless you molest, injure, or attempt to capture them.

If you are not an experienced snake handler, do not attempt to capture them; it is better to carefully observe snakes and avoid an accident."

I know you're either from or spent a lot of time in Tennessee, so maybe the last point doesn't apply.

Kevin

Rained out today.

jonnysled
08-07-2009, 07:32 PM
damn, man ... i hate snakes!

MuskyHopeful
08-07-2009, 07:40 PM
600 to 800 bites every year. 8-10 deaths. Mostly agricultural workers and the occasional fisherman/golfer. They're lousy with pit vipers down there.

Kevin

Rained right off the course.

downriverbob
08-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Here is the place that my wife and I have stayed a few times. http://www.riop.com/. Very nice place a little pricey. Not much to do but fish and maybe do a little ecotouring. It is on the Caribbean side, you might have seen it on the tv or time or two, Larry Dahlberg, Babe Winkleman, and various others have done shows from down there. Inshore there is tarpon, snook, jack crevelle, snapper and other species. Offshore you can catch yellowfin tuna, mahi mahi(dorado), grouper, and wahoo. In the rivers a can catch machaca, mojara, guapote as well as mangrove snappers, four different species of snook, and tarpon. The river fishing is very handy in case the open water is too rough. The owner Judy Heidt caught a nearly 50 lb snook near the mouth of the Parismina river it is the 2nd largest snook on IGFA record.

I am not aware of any true "flats type" fishing on the Caribbean side, you can surf fishing but have to be aware that areas you do surf fish are near river mouths and tend to attract sharks and other toothy critters. If you do surf fish you are better served to get up away the river mouths which tend to be very muddy/cloudy. In the clearer waters you can see better as far as what is in the water with you.
BOB

toothycritterkiller
08-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Email me and I will tell you where to go. I spent 9weeks there, backpacking through Panama, Costa Rica and Nicaragua.
Lemme know where you are flying into and where you plan on staying.

swenek@hotmail.com

Stefan Wenek.

GruntLures
08-08-2009, 08:48 PM
My buddy owns a place down there and says there is nothing like it for fishing. Now I just need to take him up on the offer of a free house for a week and try it for myself! ;)