PDA

View Full Version : Tarpon Fishing in the Keys

JD
05-24-2007, 03:35 AM
Well I,m back from my annual Tarpon trip..WOW.. Capt. Jack Callion did it again. In two days in the boat we had around 30 tarpon blow up on the mullet we were fishing with 10 to the boat. The sizes ranged from 60 to 160 lbs. I know this is off musky but when you find a good guide you should let everyone know. His phone # is 305-743-7552. On a side note I also caught a 200lb. nurse shark. If you do this you WILL learn how to fight BIG fish, it's a riot!!
John Kennedy---E-mail me if you want any other info!
jdkdjk@csj.net
On a second thought, for those of you that are not familiar with this style of tarpon fishing it is under and around the bridges on the way to Key West around Marathon. The guys that throw flies at them on the flats from a skiff while being polled around are like "ballet dancing" while fighting them in 10 ft. of water around the bridges is "Street Fighting" it's the stuff of Musky Hunters! Like BIG Musky in timber!

MUSKY_18
05-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Wicked cool. I know that a buddy of mine and our wives are going to be taking a trip to Florida next January. I don't know if the season is open then, but if it is we have already decided that we want to head out in search of these awesome fish. Think it will be an absolute blast!

gtaggart
05-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Where is Capt. Jack Callion based out of? We go to Marathon nearly every year at the end of may. Next year we are planning on doing some tarpon fishing. I'm guessing that you were fishing the seven mile bridge?

gtaggart

JD
06-10-2007, 04:39 AM
I just returned from my second trip down this year..WOW..we got hit by that tropical storm but still managed 5 tarpon to the boat and one HUGE HAMMERHEAD, around the 800lb range trying to eat our tarpon! It was like a segment of Wild Kingdom or something. That shark was around 5 FEET between it's eyes! We were never in any danger as our boat is plenty big. Capt. Jack fired up and ran the shark off from the tarpon and we got to see a fish that is NOT AFRAID of a boat. It was way COOL!!! You got to do it at least once!!
Hooked...John Kennedy
Capt Jack's e-mail is CAPTTARPON@aol.com